• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry protest in Temple Tx in support of active duty soldier wrongfully arrested

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Again, could we have clarification on the exception, please? I don't think it was forthcoming last time I asked.

Is this not a situation such as California?

If long gun open carry is legal in Texas then the rule does not apply. I just changed the rule to remove the reference to California since they have now banned the open carry of long guns as well but we DO allow for the discussion of long gun open carry in those jurisdictions where handgun open carry is not allowed and long gun carry IS allowed.

John

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have noticed an excitement when an active duty serviceman cannot get a permit, able to purchase etc..

Given that the current military is being trained to suppress us lowly citizens, I don't get overexcited like most folks do about servicemen's 2nd amendment issues.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Given that the current military is being trained to suppress us lowly citizens, I don't get overexcited like most folks do about servicemen's 2nd amendment issues.

It isn't the serviceman who is wanting this training.

While they do not deserve special treatment for 2A issues, it is helpful to us to use them as examples of people whose rights are being infringed to show to idiocy of possession laws nationwide.

kurt555gs

Re: Open Carry protest

I enjoy reading this as an Illinois resident where all carry is illegal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LastOutlaw

Update

In an update to this thread...Since he was a permit holding concealed carrier they have taken his handgun and permit as well. At the time of arrest the Sgt. was charged with resisting arrest. ( The original arrest that he was resisting is non existent.) The charge has since been lowered to "Interfering with a police officer" or police business. From what I understand CJ has filed a FOIA request for all documents as well as audio tapes of caller and all dash cam video. So far he has only received a copy of his arrest report. There is a hearing on the 15th of May concerning non compliance with FOIA requests.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If long gun open carry is legal in Texas then the rule does not apply. I just changed the rule to remove the reference to California since they have now banned the open carry of long guns as well but we DO allow for the discussion of long gun open carry in those jurisdictions where handgun open carry is not allowed and long gun carry IS allowed.
This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by John Pierce

icon14.png

Fallschirjmäger

In an update to this thread...Since he was a permit holding concealed carrier they have taken his handgun and permit as well. At the time of arrest the Sgt. was charged with resisting arrest. ( The original arrest that he was resisting is non existent.) The charge has since been lowered to "Interfering with a police officer" or police business. From what I understand CJ has filed a FOIA request for all documents as well as audio tapes of caller and all dash cam video. So far he has only received a copy of his arrest report. There is a hearing on the 15th of May concerning non compliance with FOIA requests.

That might actually work in his favor; now, the only way he can carry anything legally is to carry a loaded rifle (which doesn't require licensing nor concealment in Texas.)

Last edited:

rushcreek2

This is how the Temple PD says - " Thank you for your service to this country. "

It is time for the people of Temple, Texas to call in the " Orkin Man ".

KBCraig

In an update to this thread...Since he was a permit holding concealed carrier they have taken his handgun and permit as well.
Just to clarify: while Temple PD may have seized his physical plastic CHL card, they have no authority over his licensed status.

The most they can do is report the arrest and charges to DPS. DPS may suspend his CHL pending resolution of the charges, and revoke his CHL if he's convicted of a disqualifying crime, but if it's dropped or he's acquitted, his full CHL status must be restored.

There is no discretion allowed.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

What? No it doesn't... I will, just as I did previously, refrain from posting a long rant and further or re-derailing the thread, but any time you spend the first page of a thread trying to figure out whether or not the discussion of something perfectly relevant to the member base is or is not against the rules is absurd. It's equally absurd that the first post in every thread that A) isn't strictly concerning open carry of a handgun or B) is by a new member is a warning about reading the forum rules.

Wish I could attend one of the protests, but that'd be a long drive. I despise those types of police officers, but I despise the court systems that foster them even more.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What? No it doesn't... .

I must admit I had to read it three times to make sure I knew what it said, but then it really did.

And what discussion took place about the rules finally made it clear (especially after several threads elsewhere did not finalize the issue) that the owner of this site permits this discussion here, particularly after a moderator was of the other opinion. I'd say that was a critical clarification that allows more to participate. Which means now we can have less discussion about rules and more about the issue itself. This thread has existed now for almost a week without talking about the rules because we now have clear understanding that it is a permitted jurisdiction. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Well, like I said, I could rant a while about several things but I don't want to clutter up your thread. You are right that it is finally (or was until I chimed in - sorry) on track and I don't want to re-derail it.

I did a search on Google news regarding this issue and found an article that was highly critical of the police departments actions. I was glad to see media attention on the right side of the fence.