• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CDWL Revoked

09jisaac

I found out recently that my concealed carry license was revoked. I guess it never was good.

I was in frankfort on business and decided to check out the capitol building. You could imagine my shock when they told me my CCDW was revoked. I was stunned. I was standing there openly carrying a firearm thinking that there are only a few reasons why my license would be revoked, and most of those reasons would make it illegal for me to carry.

It turns out that they ran my check AFTER I had my CDWL. Two weeks after I had it in my possession. I, thinking the check was already processed, must have took some money out and didn't leave enough to clear the check. So they revoked my license.

They were suppose to send me a letter informing me of all of this. I never received anything from them. Believe me, I would have got this fixed right away.

I have been concealed carrying for almost a year now with an invalid license.

What surprises me the most is that a Virginia officer (Highway patrol or state police) supposedly ran my license a couple of months after I got my it (I was CCing). He told me something along the lines of "everything checks out". I think he has access to our CDWLs. And aren't local officers suppose to seize my permit as soon as it becomes invalid? Surely with all that stink with the sheriff department they would happily take my license away.

So now I am eagerly waiting for the information to arrive by mail so I can get my license back.

Side note, when I went into the capitol (still carrying, openly) and passed a man in a suit who was carrying a revolver (poorly) concealed. As I was checking out the building he followed me (at some distances) through the whole thing. Always keeping me in his sight. We stared at each other for a good ten minutes as I was pointing out to my girlfriend the strange guy standing across the building trying to hide from me while keeping me in his sight. Does this happen often, because it bothered me.

self preservation

I found out recently that my concealed carry license was revoked. I guess it never was good.

I was in frankfort on business and decided to check out the capitol building. You could imagine my shock when they told me my CCDW was revoked. I was stunned. I was standing there openly carrying a firearm thinking that there are only a few reasons why my license would be revoked, and most of those reasons would make it illegal for me to carry.

It turns out that they ran my check AFTER I had my CDWL. Two weeks after I had it in my possession. I, thinking the check was already processed, must have took some money out and didn't leave enough to clear the check. So they revoked my license.

They were suppose to send me a letter informing me of all of this. I never received anything from them. Believe me, I would have got this fixed right away.

I have been concealed carrying for almost a year now with an invalid license.

What surprises me the most is that a Virginia officer (Highway patrol or state police) supposedly ran my license a couple of months after I got my it (I was CCing). He told me something along the lines of "everything checks out". I think he has access to our CDWLs. And aren't local officers suppose to seize my permit as soon as it becomes invalid? Surely with all that stink with the sheriff department they would happily take my license away.

So now I am eagerly waiting for the information to arrive by mail so I can get my license back.

Side note, when I went into the capitol (still carrying, openly) and passed a man in a suit who was carrying a revolver (poorly) concealed. As I was checking out the building he followed me (at some distances) through the whole thing. Always keeping me in his sight. We stared at each other for a good ten minutes as I was pointing out to my girlfriend the strange guy standing across the building trying to hide from me while keeping me in his sight. Does this happen often, because it bothered me.

Someone dropped the ball. Scary thing that they never even let you know. I, like you thought that if your CCDW had been revoked then you received a letter to turn your permit over to the Sheriff. Just curious, why did you check the status of your permit that day? When you say that a Virgina peace officer ran your license plate I assume that you were traffic stopped in VA.? I ask because you said this happened a couple of months after you got your CCDW. One would think that KSP would have suspended your permit due to an insufficient funds check long before 2 months had passed. This whole thing is weird and it sounds like you are having my kinda luck. At any rate good luck to you in getting this mess taken care of.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Hey it could be worse.

After such a long amount of time they could have sworn a criminal complaint and charged you with TBD. They would've had to send you notice first, but with some of the things I've heard coming from the KSP lately it wouldn't surprise me. I've seen crazier things.

Glad you found out and that you have started the process to get it fixed. Just curious, if you were carrying openly why did you show your CDWL in the first place?

09jisaac

I was going to the capitol building with my firearm, the KSP officer at the desk was doing a background check on me anyways. I asked her if it would be easier just to see my CDWL. She ran it and said it was revoked. She seemed a bit nervous.

Is this not normal procedure?

The Virginia peace officer didn't run my license plate, he had my CDWL to run. I handed him my CDWL with my DL. He seemed to think there were no problems with it.

self preservation

I was going to the capitol building with my firearm, the KSP officer at the desk was doing a background check on me anyways. I asked her if it would be easier just to see my CDWL. She ran it and said it was revoked. She seemed a bit nervous.

Is this not normal procedure?

The Virginia peace officer didn't run my license plate, he had my CDWL to run. I handed him my CDWL with my DL. He seemed to think there were no problems with it.

The last time I was in the capitol building I just had to sign in. But that has been a few years back and I wasn't carrying. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

bunnspecial

I'll work on getting the cite, but I recall an article in the Frankfort State Journal a year or so back talking about how it was legal to carry in the Capitol. The head of Capitol security said that he "assigns" someone to follow the carriers around in the building for as long as they are in the building.

I'll work today on trying to find the article, but it sounds as though this is what you experienced.

bunnspecial

I couldn't find the article I was looking for, but here's one that sort of touches on it

http://www.state-journal.com/local ...ainst-little-red-stickers-required-in-capitol

A facilities security supervisor followed Riggs last year when he went to the secretary of state’s office to deal with some paperwork, he said.

“He made it a point to come where we were and peer in the door at us,” Riggs said. “This paranoia and borderline hostility towards citizens is something we very much dislike. The right to defend oneself is as primal as it gets.”

09jisaac

I'll work on getting the cite, but I recall an article in the Frankfort State Journal a year or so back talking about how it was legal to carry in the Capitol. The head of Capitol security said that he "assigns" someone to follow the carriers around in the building for as long as they are in the building.

I'll work today on trying to find the article, but it sounds as though this is what you experienced.

I guess it was. Like the cite you posted the guy didn't try to keep it a secret. It was very noticeable that he was following me.

What caught my attention was how poorly he was CCing.

neuroblades

I guess it was. Like the cite you posted the guy didn't try to keep it a secret. It was very noticeable that he was following me.

What caught my attention was how poorly he was CCing.

I can only assume that he wanted you to know that he knew. *LOL* Looking forwardto seeing you in Ashland on the 18th.

XD40sc

First off, you would have received a notice from your bank that you were overdrawn and that they return a check you wrote.
Two, that would have also included a fee for return check, probably $30 -$40 now.
Three, you don't have some level of overdraft on your account.
Four, since this was to the state, you're probably lucky they didn't press charges for fraud.
Five, the state would have also incurred bank fees for a check deposited being returned.

09jisaac

signing in at the capitol bldg...that's outrageous

It is.

Everyone has to sign in and pass through a metal detector. Remember though that this was a day when there was very little going on in that building.

I think I got everything straightened out yesterday. I just have to wait for my license again.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Gutshot could you chime in please? You have carried in the Capitol before haven't you?

What PC do they have to I.D. you and run a 29 check on you? If you are doing nothing illegal then they do NOT have any reason to see your I.D. or run your name. The fact that you are carrying a firearm is irrelevant. You do NOT surrender your rights just because you enter into the KY State Capitol.

I can understand signing in, but you are NOT required to show any form of identification.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

It is.

Everyone has to sign in and pass through a metal detector. Remember though that this was a day when there was very little going on in that building.

I think I got everything straightened out yesterday. I just have to wait for my license again.

Wait. Since its legal to Openly carry a firearm on or in the capitol building and grounds, barring the actual room of the general assembly, and other stated forbidden areas... WHY do they have a metal detector at the sign in? Are you expected to sign in, have a background check done, unholster your sidearm, put it in a box, go through the detector, pick up your sidearm and re-holster it, and PRAY that a overzealous, or ignorant cop/security doesn't use your holster/unholstering as an excuse to either arrest you, confiscate your sidearm, or shoot you dead?

How is it at all legal for a law-abiding citizen, legally carrying in the capitol, to be followed by a rent-a-cop?

I'm probably in the wrong on my thinking, but this all seems either illegal, or nestled in a grey area that can possibly create a situation of being harassed, or much worse, against the LAC.

Last edited:

MrOverlay

Wait. Since its legal to Openly carry a firearm on or in the capitol building and grounds, barring the actual room of the general assembly, and other stated forbidden areas... WHY do they have a metal detector at the sign in? Are you expected to sign in, have a background check done, unholster your sidearm, put it in a box, go through the detector, pick up your sidearm and re-holster it, and PRAY that a overzealous, or ignorant cop/security doesn't use your holster/unholstering as an excuse to either arrest you, confiscate your sidearm, or shoot you dead?

How is it at all legal for a law-abiding citizen, legally carrying in the capitol, to be followed by a rent-a-cop?

I'm probably in the wrong on my thinking, but this all seems either illegal, or nestled in a grey area that can possibly create a situation of being harassed, or much worse, against the LAC.

In one word it is "stupid".

However, it will continue until someone stands up and says "NO". Then the legal process will kick in and someone will have to decide if entering a public building, the peoples building, is a right we hold or if it is not.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It is.

KY law 61.840 .... seems to highlight that the policies of IDing yourself is likely unlawful ? And it may cover metal detectors?

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

KY law 61.840 .... seems to highlight that the policies of IDing yourself is likely unlawful ? And it may cover metal detectors?

KRS 61.840Conditions for attendance
No condition other than those required for the maintenance of order shall apply to the
attendance of any member of the public at any meeting of a public agency. No person
may be required to identify himself in order to attend any such meeting. All agencies
shall provide meeting room conditions which insofar as is feasible allow effective public
observation of the public meetings. All agencies shall permit news media coverage,
including but not limited to recording and broadcasting.

In case anyone was too lazy to look it up...

Not sure how that really applies to us or the thread.

DrakeZ07

There is no question of them shooting you, they are not armed! Don't get me wrong, there are some armed officers in the building, but the door guards aren't That is exactly the process, as hard to believe as it is. I have been there several times when I was allowed to continue on in with my .45 cal. firearm, but could not bring my pocketknife. What sense does that make? Once they took my nail clippers. I've seen people walk around the metal detector while the guard was distracted with another person. One time I had to point out my gun that I put in the basket, because the guard hadn't even looked in there. You don't get followed around every time. I haven't figured out the protocol on that, yet. My little red stickers seem to always fall off, every time. Poor quality adhesive, I guess.

Well, I tend to think the worst when it comes to such situations; Metal detectors, security, having to unholster and re-holster, I can think of atleast fifty scenarios that are all bad just from unsnapping the retention band... Not that it'd deter me from OC'ign if I ever need to visit the capitol building, just kinda think its a bit excessive, like, no one should have to go through a metal detector, and stuff, and do a background check... But I just thought the part where things go wrong, even with unarmed security, is they may act like the TSA at their worst... Call in armed security and proceed to strip you down, or beat the ever loving life out of you, and all you get is a muffled 'sorry' or something. [I think I watch and read too many LEO/TSA videos/articles.]

09jisaac

The two door security were armed. Both were carrying Glocks.

I did not have to unholster my firearm. I just stepped around the metal detector and security used the hand held metal detector on me. I thought they may have some problem with pocket knifes so I left mine in the vehicle.

That is a bit humorous that they can not stop you from lawfully carrying a loaded firearm into the building, but you may get your pocket knife confiscated.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have never been asked to identify myself when entering the Capitol. I have been asked to display my concealed carry license when I was carrying concealed, just as stated in KRS 237.110. I was there today OC and was not asked for ID.

I figured this would be the case. I found it a little unbelievable that they would run a 29 check on you at the door just because you were carrying a firearm. That would be a serious deprivation, and at OUR state capitol at that.

Thank you for clarifying the situation.