• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leather Holsters For open Carry

Texas Tony

I prefer leather holsters for open carry and have found 2 holsters for my Glock 17 and they are the best i have found after trying a whole lot of them.The first one is the Hunter High Ride 5000 holster and it is very comfortable and holds well and is my favorite. The second one is a Bianchi serpent 56 holster.I like the way it hugs my side. I wear bullhide leather belt company for my Hunter holster as it is .250 thick and 3/4 wide and does fit in my wranglers perfect. I am sold on the bullhide brand as i have found none better. Any way, these are what i use.What Do you use. Thanks

Paver1055

I OC my pt111 mil g2 in a custom leather holster from DeAmbrose in tombstone,az. I love it it rides high and hugs my side. I am looking for one for my XD 45 service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wear a Smith & Wesson 625 in a Milt Sparks sharkskin leather holster and belt. I wear high ride with FBI cant. I love leather.

Last edited:

Fdisk

Laredo defender

I prefer leather holsters for open carry and have found 2 holsters for my Glock 17 and they are the best i have found after trying a whole lot of them.The first one is the Hunter High Ride 5000 holster and it is very comfortable and holds well and is my favorite. The second one is a Bianchi serpent 56 holster.I like the way it hugs my side. I wear bullhide leather belt company for my Hunter holster as it is .250 thick and 3/4 wide and does fit in my wranglers perfect. I am sold on the bullhide brand as i have found none better. Any way, these are what i use.What Do you use. Thanks
have you ever tried one of thease??

hnxFy2x.jpg

and a few more at this link

http://dakotafdisk.imgur.com/all/

WA_G32

2013-03-03125837_zps2d0b10ff.jpg

The LCP rides in a Mitch Rosen holster and my Taurus 850 rides in an El Paso Saddlery Street Combat. Both are excellent leather holsters. The LCP really disappears on my belt. I di use a Galco pocket holster for it too but I like the Mitch Rosen more.

Last edited:

BLKH2O

2013-03-03125837_zps2d0b10ff.jpg

The LCP rides in a Mitch Rosen holster and my Taurus 850 rides in an El Paso Saddlery Street Combat. Both are excellent leather holsters. The LCP really disappears on my belt. I di use a Galco pocket holster for it too but I like the Mitch Rosen more.

I also have a Mitch Rosen holster for my LC9 and another for my Sig P239. Well worth the price and the wait. Securely holds the weapon and hugs the body exceptionally close.

JustJack

I use a DeSantis holster with a tension screw and a thumb break for the S&W SD9 I carry daily. Rides nice and high, w/ an FBI cant. Suede lined too.
MyHolster.JPG

Last edited:

.45acp

I also have a Mitch Rosen holster for my LC9 and another for my Sig P239. Well worth the price and the wait. Securely holds the weapon and hugs the body exceptionally close.

+1 on the Mitch Rosen's, I have carried my 1911's in Mitch's gear for a number of years. His stuff is among the best in the business.

rhartwell

I am about to try open carry. Do you feel that open carry with a leather holster with only a snap is secure enough. How does a person keep the gun secure and nobody grab it. Or am I worried about nothing.

Kopis

+1 on the Mitch Rosen's, I have carried my 1911's in Mitch's gear for a number of years. His stuff is among the best in the business.

Ill go +2 on the mitch rosen holsters. I have a kimber stamped one for my compact CDP II. Really great quality. I got the kind that has the belt loops on it, it holds the weapon really close and snug.

Kopis

I am about to try open carry. Do you feel that open carry with a leather holster with only a snap is secure enough. How does a person keep the gun secure and nobody grab it. Or am I worried about nothing.

I OC with compact kydex holsters (friction retention only) leather holsters w/o snap (also friction) regularly. The only time i use active retention is when Im on the bike. I have a blackhawk for that. I would say situational awareness is very important and even moreso when you are carrying a firearm. A snap or button would barely make a difference if someone has a half a brain, wants your weapon and you arent paying attention.

there is a story about an OC guy..... let me find it.... here: http://freakoutnation.com/2013/09/2...s-the-guy-with-a-gun-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint/

i dont think he was aware of the situation. He actually had to help the guy get his own gun out of the holster though, probably a blackhawk.

independence

I OC with compact kydex holsters (friction retention only) leather holsters w/o snap (also friction) regularly. The only time i use active retention is when Im on the bike. I have a blackhawk for that. I would say situational awareness is very important and even moreso when you are carrying a firearm. A snap or button would barely make a difference if someone has a half a brain, wants your weapon and you arent paying attention.

there is a story about an OC guy..... let me find it.... here: http://freakoutnation.com/2013/09/2...s-the-guy-with-a-gun-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint/

i dont think he was aware of the situation. He actually had to help the guy get his own gun out of the holster though, probably a blackhawk.

Another article I read about him said that the perpetrator came up to him and asked him for a cigarette. Things escalated after that. Yet another reason not to let panhandlers, etc. get close.

Kopis

Another article I read about him said that the perpetrator came up to him and asked him for a cigarette. Things escalated after that. Yet another reason not to let panhandlers, etc. get close.

i think i read that as well but it's been awhile. I just found the first article i could. I find that when i OC downtown, pan handlers tend to leave me alone :lol:

gunhandbags

I worry about this also. Does anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't feel like a snap is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I worry about this also. Does anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't feel like a snap is enough.

It depends on where you are going.

I use a holster with only friction retention.

Last edited by a moderator: