• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5/9/2013 - Summary

mspgunner

I had the opportunity to speak or exchange emails and texts with many of the legislators last night who aided in this effort of OC rights.
Key were Representative Paul Curtman who sponsored the original bill (which we drafted) into HB436 as an amendment. Representative Doug Funderburk who was the author of HB436. Senator Brian Nieves who is a pit bull of 2A rights in the legislature and real life as we know it. Brian is my Senator and friend for many years. The behind the scenes discussions (which were and will remain confidential) carried on by him were as vital as any other aspect of this effort to achieve success. Missouri House Speaker Tim Jones, a friend and neighbor of mine is also to be thanked for his work and contributions last year and this in more ways then anyone realizes.

HB436 is historic for Missouri and th enation as the most wide sweeping nullification bill in the country.

The legislators deserve our thanks. I strongly encourage all to go to the Missouri House and Senate web sites and generate a brief email of thanks to these people did their job in a most extrodinary way.

To the team who I worked with for open carry rights, my heart filled thanks for your help. Truely a team effort for which I have always given thanks.

Sohighlyunlikely who almost never posts gave me my start in open carry freedom. DOC is not a politically active person, but truely a pillar for our rights! It only took 3 years DOC!
LMTD is a research wizard and without a doubt has the most blunt expression of emotion, motivation and drive. This was an asset in itself. Speaking before Committee hearings he told it like it is! Great job!
dkangel came in late and was a big surprise when he addressed the General Laws Committee in Jefferson City and handled questions like veteran advocate.
Festus Hagen...aka Steve. My friend in Jefferson City showed up at every calling to be part of this historic event. He certainly advocated for rural open carriers and prevented me from totally screwing up the wording early in the drafting process. His contect with legislators on the shooting line in the capitol and CCW instruction in Jefferson City helps us all. Thanks Mike.

The above OCers were the ***most*** active and instrumental in getting what "we" as a team achieved in Jefferson City.

This was NOT an easy process. I'm very happy to be done!
The Capitol is open to everyone, get there, be active, it's our Government and the legislators work for us (or against us), call, write +/or visit them, tell 'em what you think, attend the rallies, work for good candidates and help re-elect pro2A legislators. Vote smart. There is more to do in years ahead, I'm not going to be the one doing it, but I wil certainly help anyone who wants to jump in. There is a lot to learn, I've been at this game since 2002 when I was a candiate for the Missouri House. Fortunatley I kept active in politics and worked for or helped elect candidates who now serve in our legislature. Without being active, knowing them and they knowing "us" there is not the avenue of communication to get things done on such a broad scale.

Be part of the solution or you are part of the problem!

It's been a trip, break time.

MSPGUNNER

Last edited:

Superlite27

I believe this takes effect August 28th, correct? You know what that means, right Mark?

.....When is the OC Bar-B-Que in Wildwood?

or

When do we have a get together at the Starbucks in Chesterfield?

or

Photos under the Arch, anyone?

So many great opportunities for new OC experiences just opened up.

mspgunner

The BEST way to say thank you is to send a campaign contribution. Sit down right now, get out and envelope and write that check!
It can be as much much or as little as you like. These fine people went all out for us. There is nothing wrong with a $5.00 check or more!
It does get their attentin, the money DOES NOT go ino their pockets, it goes to the never ending campaign expenses.
Enclose a note, tell them thank you for ensuring our open carry rights in Missouri.
if you tell them "Marc", aka MSPGUNNER also says thank you, they'll know where the idea came from.
Trust me, they've already got my note.

LIKE NIKE SAYS "Just do it"!

It is for "now", it is for the future..........

Citizens to Elect Paul Curtman
PO Box 355
Pacific, MO. 63069

Citizens for Brian Nieves
350 Country Club Bluffs Ln.
Washington, MO. 63090

Missourians for Tim Jones
PO Box 2132
Jefferson City, MO. 65102

HP995

Does Funderburk have a campaign donation address too? His 436 text is genius!

Redbaron007

I would like to say thanks to:

mspgunner
Festus Hagen
DOC
LMTD
dkangel
Sohighlyunlikely

For all the work you put into getting HB436 passed. I know many folks don't know the time and energy that it takes to get a bill from beginning to end, so I would like to say thanks for your time, energy, effort and expense in getting this bill passed and sent to the governor.

I have already sent my reps, Tim Jones, Brian Nieves and Doug Funderburk emails this morning thanking them for their hard work and persistence. The monetary contribution of appreciation will also be forthcoming.

I would encourage all to, at a minimum, to contact their reps (House/Senate) and express your appreciation.

Thanks again to everyone, from those listed above, to all who have sent emails/letters and made phone calls.

Life is Good!!

mspgunner

THE GOVERNOR

Bills Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed are signed in open session by the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tem of the Senate. At the time of signing, any members may file written objections which are sent with the bill to the Governor. The Governor has fifteen days to act on a bill if it is sent to him during the legislative session; and forty-five days if the legislature has adjourned or has recessed for a thirty day period. The Governor has four options; 1. Sign the bill, making it become part of Missouri law. Veto the bill. In this case, the bill is returned to the General Assembly where a two-thirds vote of both houses is required to override the veto. 3. Not sign the bill. Should the Governor take no action within the prescribed time, the bill goes to the Secretary of State, who then enrolls the bill as an authentic act. It then becomes law.

Veto override sessions occur in late summer and early fall. Date (s) to be determined. If a VETO occurs, HB 436 will be brought up in that session (if the House and Senate Leadership so desire) That is usually based on their confidence that a 2/3rds override vote is likely to occur.

Griz

i was just about to ask that very question. thanks!

Griz

I sent an encouring note, too. But I'm not holding my breath.

Oramac

The Governor has fifteen days to act on a bill if it is sent to him during the legislative session; and forty-five days if the legislature has adjourned or has recessed for a thirty day period.

So how long does he have now? Fifteen days since they're in session currently, or 45 days since they'll be adjourned by the end of the 15 days?