• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5/9/2013 - Summary

dogsandhogs

So how long does he have now? Fifteen days since they're in session currently, or 45 days since they'll be adjourned by the end of the 15 days?

15 days once it reaches his desk. It has not gotten to his desk yet. It has passed, but it must be signed by the leaders of the house and senate then delivered to the governor.

The General Assembly session goes until May 30. If it gets to his desk by May 15, I believe the 15 day window applies.

dogsandhogs

According to their calender the session ends Friday May 17, 2013 at 6:00 P.M.

The wording on the calender is confusing. May 17 this year is the first Friday after the second Monday in May, which is the last day the General Assembly can consider bills (effectively the end of the session for bills). However, the session is not officially over until May 30.

From Article III, Section 20 of the Missouri Constitution:

Regular sessions of assembly--quorum--compulsory attendance--public sessions--limitation on power to adjourn.

Section 20. The general assembly shall meet on the first Wednesday after the first Monday in January following each general election. The general assembly may provide by law for the introduction of bills during the period between the first day of December and the first Wednesday after the first Monday of January.

The general assembly shall reconvene on the first Wednesday after the first Monday of January after adjournment at midnight on May thirtieth of the preceding year. A majority of the elected members of each house shall constitute a quorum to do business, but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may compel the attendance of absent members in such manner and under such penalties as each house may provide. The sessions of each house shall be held with open doors, except in cases which may require secrecy but not including the final vote on bills, resolutions and confirmations. Neither house shall, without the consent of the other, adjourn for more than ten days at any one time, nor to any other place than that in which the two houses may be sitting.

Section 20(a). The general assembly shall adjourn at midnight on May thirtieth until the first Wednesday after the first Monday of January of the following year, unless it has adjourned prior thereto. All bills in either house remaining on the calendar after 6:00 p.m. on the first Friday following the second Monday in May are tabled. The period between the first Friday following the second Monday in May and May thirtieth shall be devoted to the enrolling, engrossing, and the signing in open session by officers of the respective houses of bills passed prior to 6:00 p.m. on the first Friday following the second Monday in May.

The general assembly shall automatically stand adjourned sine die at 6:00 p.m. on the sixtieth calendar day after the date of its convening in special session unless it has adjourned sine die prior thereto.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Great news! The Second Amendment Preservation Act has passed and is headed for Gov. Nixon's Desk, he may or may not sign it. But our wonderful legislators kept this great bill intact for us. You can read the bill here http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills131/biltxt/perf/HB0436P.htm

We need to thank the legislators that brought us this bill and fought for it, and us! If Gov. Nixon vetoes it, these will be the folks that will need to over-ride him.
Sponsor:
Rep. Doug Funderburk Doug.Funderburk@house.mo.gov
Co-Sponsors:
Rep. Tim Jones Tim.Jones@house.mo.gov
Rep. Eric Burlison Eric.Burlison@house.mo.gov
Rep. Ron Hicks Ron.Hicks@house.mo.gov
Rep. Shawn Rhoads Shawn.Rhoads@house.mo.gov
Rep. Robert Ross Robert.Ross@house.mo.gov
Rep. Rocky Miller Rocky.Miller@house.mo.gov
Rep. Mark Parkinson Mark.Parkinson@house.mo.gov
Rep. Tim Remole Tim.Remole@house.mo.gov
Rep. Tom Hurst Tom.Hurst@house.mo.gov
Rep. Sonya Anderson Sonya.Anderson@house.mo.gov
Rep. Kurt Bahr Kurt.Bahr@gmail.com
Rep. Rick Brattin Rick.Brattin@house.mo.gov
Rep. Jason Smith Jason.Smith@house.mo.gov
Rep. Andrew Koenig Andrew.Koenig@house.mo.gov
Rep. Paul Curtman Paul.Curtman@house.mo.gov
Rep. Tony Dugger Tony.Dugger@house.mo.gov
Rep. Lynn Morris Lynn.Morris@house.mo.gov
Rep. Mike Leara Mike.Leara@house.mo.gov
Rep. Chrissy Sommer Chrissy.Sommer@house.mo.gov
Rep. Ed Schieffer Ed.Schieffer@house.mo.gov
Rep. Bart Korman Bart.Korman@house.mo.gov
Rep. Chuck Gatschenberger Chuck.Gatschenberger@house.mo.gov

Co-Signers
Rep. Delus Johnson Delus.Johnson@house.mo.gov
Rep. Donna Lichtenegger Donna.Lichtenegger@house.mo.gov
Rep. Mike Kelley Mike.Kelley@house.mo.gov
Rep. Joe Don McGaugh JoeDon.McGaugh@house.mo.gov
Rep. John McCaherty John.McCaherty@house.mo.gov
Rep. Kathie Conway Kathie.Conway@house.mo.gov
Rep. Sandy Crawford Sandy.Crawford@house.mo.gov

Join me in thanking these fine legislators

HYRYSC

So if I am reading this thread correctly, today is the day that Nixon has to veto it for it not to become law automatically correct?

Broondog

So if I am reading this thread correctly, today is the day that Nixon has to veto it for it not to become law automatically correct?

no, i believe today is the day that the House and Senate leadership sign, in open session, all of the outstanding bills that still need to be sent to the Governor to await his actions, be it signing, veto or quietly let them ride.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Today, May 22nd, it went to the Governor. he has till July 14th to sign or veto or it becomes law Aug. 28th.
Don't ask th enext question.... read the Missouri Constitution. If you haven't yet, its about time you did!

Missouri House of Representatives

97th General Assembly , 1st Regular Session

Activity History for HB 436

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Jrn Pg Activity Description
2/05/2013 H 276 Introduced and Read First Time (H)
2/06/2013 H 284 Read Second Time (H)
2/18/2013 H 386 Referred: General Laws(H)
3/06/2013 Public Hearing Completed (H)
4/09/2013 Executive Session Completed (H)
4/09/2013 HCS Voted Do Pass (H)
4/09/2013 H 1011 HCS Reported Do Pass (H)
4/09/2013 H 1011 Referred: Rules(H)
4/11/2013 Rules - Executive Session Completed (H)
4/11/2013 Rules - Voted Do Pass (H)
4/11/2013 H 1119 Rules - Reported Do Pass (H)
4/17/2013 H 1309 HCS Adopted (H)
4/17/2013 H 1309 - 1310 Perfected with Amendments (H) - HA 1, HA 2, HA 3, HA 1 TO HA 4, HA 4 AS AMENDED ADOPTED AYES: 117 NOES: 39
4/18/2013 H 1361 - 1363 Third Read and Passed (H) - AYES: 115 NOES: 41
4/22/2013 S 827 Reported to the Senate and First Read (S)
4/23/2013 S 851 Second read and referred: Senate General Laws(S)
4/23/2013 Public Hearing Scheduled (S) - WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24, 2013, 2:00PM, SCR 2
4/24/2013 Public Hearing Held (S)
4/24/2013 Executive Session Held (S) - SCS VOTED DO PASS
4/25/2013 S 914 SCS Reported Do Pass (S)
4/29/2013 S 934 Placed on Informal Calendar
5/02/2013 S 1260 - 1261 Taken Up for Third Reading (S)
5/02/2013 S 1261 SCS Adopted (S)
5/02/2013 S 1261 Third Read and Passed with Amendments (S) - SA 1, SA 2 ADOPTED AYES: 26 NOES: 6
5/02/2013 H 1923 Reported to the House with... (H) - SCS AS AMENDED
5/08/2013 H 2271 - 2272 House Concurs (H) - SCS AS AMEMDED ADOPTED AYES: 116 NOES: 38
5/08/2013 H 2273 Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - AYES: 116 NOES: 38
5/22/2013 Signed by House Speaker(H)
5/22/2013 Signed by President Pro Tem (S)
5/22/2013 Delivered to Governor

Oramac

Today, May 22nd, it went to the Governor. he has till July 14th to sign or veto or it becomes law Aug. 28th.
Don't ask th enext question.... read the Missouri Constitution. If you haven't yet, its about time you did!

I've read it but I have to ask: what is the next question??? lol. Seems pretty well laid out to me.

HYRYSC

Odd, I thought a forum was the place to ask questions. I have read both the US and the Missouri Constitution, but I certainly don't have either of them memorized, hence the question.