• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Creation, true, false, or unsure?

Freedom1Man

I've seen a few threads derailing over creationism.

Here is a thread to discuss it on.

Please use evidence to back up your opinion if you believe one way or the other.

eye95

Well, the OP is definitely giving the non-creationists what he surely thinks is a leg up by demanding evidence, which only the non-creationists think they can provide.

However, none of us was there. No one can present one scrap of conclusive evidence one way or the other. Some folks will point to scientific "evidence" that says that the Earth is older than the biblical Creation story would seem to set it. However, they ignore one thing: Couldn't a God who brings an entire universe into existence create it with all that evidence of age already present?

Science, when used to look backward, is interesting, but, by nature, flawed. Science makes guesses about how things work, uses those guesses to predict future outcomes, and constantly refines those guesses into theories and laws as they prove to be better and better predictors. Science is forward-looking. It is not apt for looking backward.

The net result: Whether you believe in a creation event or not, whether you will admit it or not, you are relying on faith. You are building a complete system of belief based upon axioms you cannot prove. But, hey, Euclidean Geometry works. And it is based on axioms accepted on faith. Even a few we now know to be false!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

And why I am agnostic in the strictest sense, I simply don't know....

Which would be a valid position were one to rely solely on traditional proof. Being that none exists, if a conclusion were to be achieved, some other means is necessary. It is not required that that means not be logical.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

Which would be a valid position were one to rely solely on traditional proof. Being that none exists, if a conclusion were to be achieved, some other means is necessary. It is not required that that means not be logical.

<o>

I understand those who have faith in their conclusions, be it atheism or creationism.....to me I don't have the further means to draw a conclusion ;), when presented I am willing to change my position.

georg jetson

I've seen a few threads derailing over creationism.

Here is a thread to discuss it on.

Please use evidence to back up your opinion if you believe one way or the other.

One way or the other? Do you mean creationism vs not creationism?

Well, what will you accept as evidence? Circumstantial or eye witness?

When pondering creationism, you're supposing that there is a creator. Also, typically the term "creationism" is associated with the Bible's description of how things came to be. This story is relayed to man by the Creator. The Bible claims to be the official account by the eye witness and perpetrator of creation. Will you accept his testimony?

If you will only accept circumstantial evidence, evidence pieced together through observation of the state of the universe today and then try to extrapolate backwards, then you may find evidence to support either supposition. However, if there is a creator, then there is a strong possibility that not all things are knowable to man. Therefore, any attempt at using circumstantial evidence to discover the origin of everything may do nothing more than occupy his time, with little chance of the truth ever making itself known.

Weighing the possibility of creationism really must begin with the same basic assumption of any other belief. Do you assume that there is a creator?

OC for ME

God created himself so he could pull the trigger that initiated the Big Bang. All anyone has to do is find evidence that suggests that my theory is not supported by fact.

Suckerspawn

Well, the OP is definitely giving the non-creationists what he surely thinks is a leg up by demanding evidence, which only the non-creationists think they can provide.

However, none of us was there. No one can present one scrap of conclusive evidence one way or the other. Some folks will point to scientific "evidence" that says that the Earth is older than the biblical Creation story would seem to set it. However, they ignore one thing: Couldn't a God who brings an entire universe into existence create it with all that evidence of age already present?

<o>

If you believe the biblical account, which I do, you would understand, in the original creation, things were created fully mature. The plants were fully mature, producing fruit. The animals were able to reproduce. Adam, although only one day old, was a mature man.

eye95

Where did God come from- "He was always there"

Where did this singularity come from- "It was always there"

:confused:

"Always" implies time. Time is a construct of the universe. It does not exist outside of the universe.

It is hard to cogitate on timelessness, but God tried to explain it in the Bible when Jesus said that He was the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. If God created everything (and I believe that He did), then God just was, without time. The creation of the universe by God started a clock within the universe by which God Himself is not bound.

<o>

georg jetson

Where did God come from- "He was always there"

Where did this singularity come from- "It was always there"

:confused:

If I may offer a bit of thought on this. Using words like "God" or "the singularity" are not clear descriptors. May I re-write as...

Where did intelligence come from - "He was always there"

How does intelligence come from a "singularity"? - It didn't have intelligence to start with. If it did then it is God.

If one gives the attributes of God to the singularity then there is difference without distinction. So in a sense, the singularity is a descriptor of God.

It boils down to this... can something happen without intelligence? That is the ultimate question. Can "intelligence" have never existed? After all, without intelligence, there can be no natural laws and then no rules of behavior or existence for the singularity. If you argue that the singularity creates its own natural laws then you have just made the singularity a God.

Steeler-gal

<o>

Plus it is always assumed that since the story states that God created the earth and universe in 7 days that we are talking man-days, but what if a day to God is 1000 years to us?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Mantioch

I'm a Christian. I also have a decade and a half experience in computer engineering, including AI. I don't believe that it is possible for the wealth of complicated life to have come about by random interaction of particles. The Mathematics involved for that simply do not make sense. And all life is complicated. I subscribe to the assumption that if a tornado hits a junk yard, it doesn't produce a fully functioning 747, no matter how many times it happens. All that aside, here's some fun!

I can't remember where I got this from, or if the numbers are accurate. Again, just for fun. Don't get your panties in a wad combing Google to refute ;)

1 in 175,223,510: Odds of winning Powerball

1 in 100,000,000,000 (or 10^11): Generally accepted as the threshold of possibility

1 in 10^53: The estimated number of electrons in the universe, which is a constant. Everything in the universe is made up of atoms having at least 1 electron. Dark matter aside.

1 in 10^260: The probability of the simplest possible protein strand forming by itself as a result of chance occurrences and interactions between molecules.

1 in 10^40,000: The probability of the simplest known cell forming purely by chance with random interactions between the before mentioned proteins - which came into being in sufficient quantities- by chance.

1 in 100,000,000,000^123: The probability of a "Big Bang" explosion creating an orderly universe through random interactions.

Probability that God exists and created the universe? Who know? But if I were a betting man...

eye95

Maybe I should have phrased it this way: Time is a construct of the universe. There is zero reason to believe that it exists outside of the universe. Certainly, time as we know it doesn't! It would be the grossest of foolish assumptions to think it did.

Better? I don't really care. Pick at the idea all you want. I have already started some rational folks thinking on their assumptions about time, and that is what matters.

<o>

eye95

OK, fun with statistics. Half of the people who have ever walked on the face of the Earth are still walking on it alive today. Half have died. So, empirically speaking, you only have a 50-50 chance of ever dying.

<o>

Suckerspawn

Plus it is always assumed that since the story states that God created the earth and universe in 7 days that we are talking man-days, but what if a day to God is 1000 years to us?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Or what if a 1000 years to God is a day to us? The Bible states it both ways. This is not an equation. This shows time is meaningless to God, which is what eye95 has been saying.

sudden valley gunner

Interesting discusion...

"Always" implies time. Time is a construct of the universe. It does not exist outside of the universe.

It is hard to cogitate on timelessness, but God tried to explain it in the Bible when Jesus said that He was the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. If God created everything (and I believe that He did), then God just was, without time. The creation of the universe by God started a clock within the universe by which God Himself is not bound.
Where did he come from? I didn't mean to imply I was using the term always, but that this is the response I get from believers in God or believers in the Big Bang.

If I may offer a bit of thought on this. Using words like "God" or "the singularity" are not clear descriptors. May I re-write as...

Where did intelligence come from - "He was always there"

How does intelligence come from a "singularity"? - It didn't have intelligence to start with. If it did then it is God.

If one gives the attributes of God to the singularity then there is difference without distinction. So in a sense, the singularity is a descriptor of God.

It boils down to this... can something happen without intelligence? That is the ultimate question. Can "intelligence" have never existed? After all, without intelligence, there can be no natural laws and then no rules of behavior or existence for the singularity. If you argue that the singularity creates its own natural laws then you have just made the singularity a God.

Of course you are free to look at it anyway you want. My question goes to the basis of both ideologies being discussed here, Big Bang or God, where did they get there start, if it takes intelligence to create than who created God? Or if things sprung from a singularity without no God where did this singularity come from, I have heard compelling argument about matter being created from nothing, but this leaves out the fact that it still takes energy to make nothing into something...where'd that energy come from...

I have read the bible a few times, really like the anarchist society the Hebrews had enjoyed for a few centuries, my take on the whole day was simply it meant an era of time with no specifics, like listening to a Grandfather/Mother say "Back in my day".