Thread: twice in one day...

twice in one day...

I took my ARs up to the Clark County Shooting Park to check their zero yesterday; I decided to carry my 1911. Because it was wednesday morning, the day after range glean up, I figured it was worth checking the brass tables for anything I might need when a man, presumably in his 60's approached me to inform me that I forgot to decock the hammer. I informed him that it was a 1911, and it was designed to be carried fully cocked with a round in the chamber and the safety on. This was news to him, and he seemed to understand and carried on with his business.
    Then, while shooting the RSOs asked that my sidearm be cleared and placed on the shooting table while the range was cold. I complied with his request, but when packing up my things and reholstering my sidearm, he asks, "Aren't you gonna de-cock it?" I again had to explain that this was the way a 1911 was intended to be carried. His reaction was a bit more dramatic. He grimmiced as if he thought that was the worst thing he's ever heard. He was an older gentleman as well, probably in his 70's, retired and likely a volunteer.

Iguess the odd thing about these two experiences was that I would assume (I know you shouldn't assume) that older people in our gun culture would be more knowledgable about 1911s.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Founder's Club Member
    Depending on my mood, I mighta told the RSO that I definitely did not appreciate his poorly-veiled arrogance. (If he's making a face, he's thinking he 'knows all about it', and thinks you're ignorant.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

"There is no fool , like an old fool"
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Depending on my mood, I mighta told the RSO that I definitely did not appreciate his poorly-veiled arrogance. (If he's making a face, he's thinking he 'knows all about it', and thinks you're ignorant.)
    Well, I think his lack of further response indicates some restraint on his part. He might have stopped at any further response knowing that he might not "know it all."
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    ...Then, while shooting the RSOs asked that my sidearm be cleared and placed on the shooting table while the range was cold. I complied with his request....
    This is unacceptable. You should write a letter asking for clarification. Sidearms that are not to be used should NOT be handled, nor should your sidearm be unloaded. It is not a sidearm if it is unloaded!

I say again, this is UNACCEPTABLE. I would have left before complying with such an ignorant request.

Dammit. I really want to like this place, and every time I think about finishing their damn paperwork so I can teach out there (they are already on my insurance) I hear these reports that make me not want to set foot on the property.

I get the occasional "your hammer is cocked" remark, but it's usually from some yuppie idiot with a striker-fired pistol.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Do these old timers who "know everything about 1911's" realize they're mostly SA and would require you to thumb the hammer back if decocked when SHTF?

Re: twice in one day...

This old timer carried a 1911 for 16 years before going all revolver all the time. Just because someone is old doesn't make him smart. I had another old guy tell me to forget about full moon clips for my S&W Model 25-2 and use speedloaders with auto rim ammunition because "That's what it was designed for."

Another told me I was wasting my time with snub-nose revolvers because they weren't accurate past 15 feet. Before he left the range, he got to see me bounce a 2 liter 7-Up bottle over the top of the 100 yard berm.

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

I OCed my Springfield Armory P9 (CZ-75 clone) yesterday, cocked and locked, without any comment from the peanut gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    "There is no fool , like an old fool"
    You'd think an OLD fool would remember hammer fired automatics before all them new-fangled striker things came along.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    This is unacceptable. You should write a letter asking for clarification. Sidearms that are not to be used should NOT be handled, nor should your sidearm be unloaded. It is not a sidearm if it is unloaded!

I say again, this is UNACCEPTABLE. I would have left before complying with such an ignorant request.

Dammit. I really want to like this place, and every time I think about finishing their damn paperwork so I can teach out there (they are already on my insurance) I hear these reports that make me not want to set foot on the property.

I get the occasional "your hammer is cocked" remark, but it's usually from some yuppie idiot with a striker-fired pistol.
    These incidents generally only occur on the public range portion. The class portion of the range at the education center is separate and the volunteers and RO's don't wander over there at all. This is why you get to have your own insurance, because you're the one responsible if something happens when you're teaching. I've taken a couple classes with Chuck Burnett up there and I've only seen the security guard wander by a couple times. The one time we were doing a night shoot and he talked to Chuck about securing the building and shutting off the lights when we're done but that was it.

I would have refused to remove my carry piece from the holster. It stays where it is because I'm not shooting it.