Thread: Govenor Nixon Says He Will Not Sign Bill .... then backtracks on Statements

Regular Member HighValueWarrior's Avatar

Govenor Nixon Says He Will Not Sign Bill .... then backtracks on Statements

Just saw this.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379...uns-in-schools

LADUE, Mo. (KSDK) - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says he won't sign a bill allowing guns in schools.

Both the state House and Senate passed the proposal, which would allow some teachers and administrators to carry firearms.
    Armed school employees would have to have a conceal and carry permit and special training.

The bill also includes a provision preventing any federal gun laws from taking effect in Missouri.

On Thursday NewsChannel 5 tracked down Gov. Nixon at an event in Ladue to ask about the proposal. He told us he will not give final approval to the bill, but wouldn't comment further.

Later Thursday evening, the governor's office sent us a statement, which appears to contradict his position. It reads as follows:
    "As I do with all legislation that comes to my desk, I will give this bill a thorough and thoughtful review before making a final determination on what action to take.
    That review has not been completed and therefore no determination has been made."
    Last edited by HighValueWarrior; 05-10-2013 at 02:06 AM.

We would be perfectly happy if he did not sign it. Just let it sit and it becomes law Aug. 28th.
    If he does the veto, there wil be an over ride in September and it wil be come law.
    Just let it sit Jay, save me a couple of weeks so we can get on with life as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
    Just saw this.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379...uns-in-schools

LADUE, Mo. (KSDK) - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says he won't sign a bill allowing guns in schools.

Both the state House and Senate passed the proposal, which would allow some teachers and administrators to carry firearms.
    Armed school employees would have to have a conceal and carry permit and special training.

The bill also includes a provision preventing any federal gun laws from taking effect in Missouri.

On Thursday NewsChannel 5 tracked down Gov. Nixon at an event in Ladue to ask about the proposal. He told us he will not give final approval to the bill, but wouldn't comment further.

Later Thursday evening, the governor's office sent us a statement, which appears to contradict his position. It reads as follows:
    "As I do with all legislation that comes to my desk, I will give this bill a thorough and thoughtful review before making a final determination on what action to take.
    That review has not been completed and therefore no determination has been made."
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I wish he would sign it.....that would be the easiest way.

However, if he doesn't do anything....this is the second best way.

If he vetoes it....then it has to be voted on again.....this could be problematic.....giving the anti-crowd a little bit of time to maneuver to prevent it from passing. Also, in the mean time, if we have another national tragedy, it could influence the veto vote....this is the least preferred method...IMHO.

I have a slight concern that even if HB436 is signed and allowed to become law, the AG Koster (a Democrat) will file an injunction because of the federal language or follow the directions of Holder. Remember, Kansas has already been 'advised' by Holder for similar language.

Remember, it's called politics for a reason.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Sounds to me that were SCREWED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jad316 View Post
    Sounds to me that were SCREWED!!!!!
    What makes you say that ?

Regular Member HighValueWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    We would be perfectly happy if he did not sign it. Just let it sit and it becomes law Aug. 28th.
    If he does the veto, there wil be an over ride in September and it wil be come law.
    Just let it sit Jay, save me a couple of weeks so we can get on with life as we know it.
    Gunner do you know if he has 14 days to sign ?
    or because the session is closing it goes to 45 ??

Quote Originally Posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
    Gunner do you know if he has 14 days to sign ?
    or because the session is closing it goes to 45 ??
    Don't know. I do not think he will sign it, but if he just let's it sit, it will become law Aug. 28th, that suits me just fine.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Accomplished Advocate
    LMGDAO, he might not want to sign it in case someone from the DOR sends a copy to the feds, rumor has it that it does not matter if it is against the law to do such things. He is just paranoid right?

LOLOL
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Missouri 436

Sounds to me like everyone in Missouri needs to call the governor's office every day till he signs If enough of you call and email his office over and over he will sign it to law call his office so much they can't get anything else done.

congratulations by the way I wish this would happen were I live!

August 28th is the effective date unless there is a veto.
    If Nixon does not sign nor veto, it becomes law automatically after 45 days (should be July 1st), but still is not effective until August 28th.

If there is a veto, the veto override session will begin September 11th. If the vetoed bill is overridden, it would become effective immediately since that would be after the August 28th date.

Even though Missuri does have a super 2A majority they troops in the legislature have to hold true and the leadership has to cal for a veto over ride. Nothing is for sure in Jefferson City.
    If there is a veto, then we will call for action from our ranks to rally the legislators for an over ride. I of course called and emailed the Governor's Office asking him to sign this bill, I don't think he will pay much attention............

He has NOT answered any emails as of yet either....

I received a generic response......didn't address the issue. Never have received a response that is directly related to any subject matter. It's the same generic one every time.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

ditto this ^

then again, i don't expect nor require a response from the Governor, just action.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    ditto this ^

then again, i don't expect nor require a response from the Governor, just action.
    In this case, inaction would be better than action. Or, better than one option for action, at least.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    In this case, inaction would be better than action. Or, better than one option for action, at least.
    ok, you got me on that.

how about ball point pen action vs red rubber stamp action? (envision the Schoolhouse Rock cartoon of "How a Bill Becomes a Law")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMHOBEYCXM
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    ditto this ^

Here is one way to communicate with the "Governor".
    http://unbouncepages.com/nixon_petition/