• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Govenor Nixon Says He Will Not Sign Bill .... then backtracks on Statements

HighValueWarrior

Just saw this.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379748/3/Gov-Nixon-says-he-wont-sign-bill-allowing-guns-in-schools

LADUE, Mo. (KSDK) - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says he won't sign a bill allowing guns in schools.

Both the state House and Senate passed the proposal, which would allow some teachers and administrators to carry firearms.
Armed school employees would have to have a conceal and carry permit and special training.

The bill also includes a provision preventing any federal gun laws from taking effect in Missouri.

On Thursday NewsChannel 5 tracked down Gov. Nixon at an event in Ladue to ask about the proposal. He told us he will not give final approval to the bill, but wouldn't comment further.

Later Thursday evening, the governor's office sent us a statement, which appears to contradict his position. It reads as follows:
"As I do with all legislation that comes to my desk, I will give this bill a thorough and thoughtful review before making a final determination on what action to take.
That review has not been completed and therefore no determination has been made."

Last edited:

mspgunner

We would be perfectly happy if he did not sign it. Just let it sit and it becomes law Aug. 28th.
If he does the veto, there wil be an over ride in September and it wil be come law.
Just let it sit Jay, save me a couple of weeks so we can get on with life as we know it.

Just saw this.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379748/3/Gov-Nixon-says-he-wont-sign-bill-allowing-guns-in-schools

LADUE, Mo. (KSDK) - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says he won't sign a bill allowing guns in schools.

Both the state House and Senate passed the proposal, which would allow some teachers and administrators to carry firearms.
Armed school employees would have to have a conceal and carry permit and special training.

The bill also includes a provision preventing any federal gun laws from taking effect in Missouri.

On Thursday NewsChannel 5 tracked down Gov. Nixon at an event in Ladue to ask about the proposal. He told us he will not give final approval to the bill, but wouldn't comment further.

Later Thursday evening, the governor's office sent us a statement, which appears to contradict his position. It reads as follows:
"As I do with all legislation that comes to my desk, I will give this bill a thorough and thoughtful review before making a final determination on what action to take.
That review has not been completed and therefore no determination has been made."

Redbaron007

I wish he would sign it.....that would be the easiest way.

However, if he doesn't do anything....this is the second best way.

If he vetoes it....then it has to be voted on again.....this could be problematic.....giving the anti-crowd a little bit of time to maneuver to prevent it from passing. Also, in the mean time, if we have another national tragedy, it could influence the veto vote....this is the least preferred method...IMHO.

I have a slight concern that even if HB436 is signed and allowed to become law, the AG Koster (a Democrat) will file an injunction because of the federal language or follow the directions of Holder. Remember, Kansas has already been 'advised' by Holder for similar language.

Remember, it's called politics for a reason. :confused:

HighValueWarrior

We would be perfectly happy if he did not sign it. Just let it sit and it becomes law Aug. 28th.
If he does the veto, there wil be an over ride in September and it wil be come law.
Just let it sit Jay, save me a couple of weeks so we can get on with life as we know it.

Gunner do you know if he has 14 days to sign ?
or because the session is closing it goes to 45 ??

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
LMGDAO, he might not want to sign it in case someone from the DOR sends a copy to the feds, rumor has it that it does not matter if it is against the law to do such things. He is just paranoid right?

LOLOL

jgross85

Missouri 436

Sounds to me like everyone in Missouri needs to call the governor's office every day till he signs If enough of you call and email his office over and over he will sign it to law call his office so much they can't get anything else done.

congratulations by the way I wish this would happen were I live!

mspgunner

August 28th is the effective date unless there is a veto.
If Nixon does not sign nor veto, it becomes law automatically after 45 days (should be July 1st), but still is not effective until August 28th.

If there is a veto, the veto override session will begin September 11th. If the vetoed bill is overridden, it would become effective immediately since that would be after the August 28th date.

Even though Missuri does have a super 2A majority they troops in the legislature have to hold true and the leadership has to cal for a veto over ride. Nothing is for sure in Jefferson City.
If there is a veto, then we will call for action from our ranks to rally the legislators for an over ride. I of course called and emailed the Governor's Office asking him to sign this bill, I don't think he will pay much attention............

Redbaron007

He has NOT answered any emails as of yet either....

I received a generic response......didn't address the issue. Never have received a response that is directly related to any subject matter. It's the same generic one every time.