Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theater pulls publicity stunt, send fake active shooter to iron man premier.

Theater pulls publicity stunt, send fake active shooter to iron man premier.

Take a look at this

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -
    Management at the Goodrich Capital 8 Theaters is defending what it calls a publicity stunt at the movie theaters this past weekend.

During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun...................................

"We received a series of 911 calls stating that a man dressed in all black and body armor and a rifle was walking into Capital 8 Theaters," said Capt. Doug Shoemaker.

Officers thought they were responding to an active shooter investigation..........................
    Wait, It gets better!

When asked if management took into consideration what happened in the the mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater, Wilkins responded, "Absolutely. That's my number-one priority every day. It's the safety and security of our guests."
    What about your employees?!?!

I may not be old enough yet to carry a gun (only have to survive 5 more months)

but I carry a pretty nice blade and only sit in the front row at the theatres. if somebody who looks remotely threatening or holding a gun through those doors I'm sprinting strait their direction because i can't escape and can either die in my chair or die trying to resist....

But for all the people who can and do carry, do you believe you would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Re: Theater pulls publicity stunt, send fake active shooter to iron man premier.

Well - in a way this place just proved that gun free zones are "nut job free for all" zones once again. It is hard to say what anyone who can carry a firearm in a movie house (legally) would do. But I do not think they could be faulted for shooting the actor had they truly believed their life was on the line. Nor do I think a jury would convict them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Theater pulls publicity stunt, send fake active shooter to iron man premier.

PS - Hey EM, if you moved to AZ today you could OPEN CARRY under our constitutional carry law.
    Got to love WA, they can send their 18-20 year olds off to the war(s) fully armed, but once at home they can not protect themselves until they are 21 with a pistol? Nice -
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    PS - Hey EM, most states allow those 18 years of age or older to OPEN CARRY. Is your state different?
    Generally yes.... there is limited exemptions.. like I can carry a firearm (openly or concealed) while hiking or engaged in lawful outdoor activities (this applies to like hunting, fishing, etc but not just going for a stroll around town.) and the like. but it's 21 then I can open carry with no license.

when I am hiking I generally carry either my S&W model 10 openly, or my mother's Glock 19 concealed... depending upon the hiking location, what clothes I wear etc. but that's about it for now.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Wow - So the state trusts you while hiking, camping (a good thing) but no where else? Weird?

Sorry for derailing thread. Your state laws are very strange to me.???
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Sorry for derailing thread. Your state laws are very strange me.
    Well I would like people to discuss the topic of the thread, but I'll explain the law briefly.

There is RCW 9.41.050 which is restrictions on carrying firearms, followed by 9.41.060 which is "exemptions to restrictions on carrying firearms" or something like that. .050 only restricts concealed carry. not open. so the .060 is actually a list of exceptions to needing a CPL to carry concealed. the ".060 exceptions" as they're called include stuff like police officers, federal employees authorized to carry a pistol, armed forces while on duty, then there's an exception for

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    there's a few others, like gun smiths and gun dealers apparently don't need one if carrying a "pistol in the ordinary or usual course of business"

but a separate statute is 9.41.240 which says someone at least 18 but not 21 can carry a pistol in their home, place of business, or private property under their control. but 9.41.240 does say that a 18-20 year old can carry a gun while meeting the requirements on 9.41.060. so because I'm exempted from firearm restrictions while hiking, it means I can carry a pistol while doing that.

that's the web of laws that effect me..... I really wish we would just do what every state surrounding us does and allow 18 open carry! but like I said, 5 more months and I'm golden. I have OC'd while visiting more permissive states (which actually Washington is reasonably permissive once you are 21)

NRA Member

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    SNIP but I carry a pretty nice blade and only sit in the front row at the theatres. if somebody who looks remotely threatening or holding a gun through those doors I'm sprinting strait their direction because i can't escape and can either die in my chair or die trying to resist....

But for all the people who can and do carry, do you believe you would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?
    Well, there you have it readers. If the movie theater refuses to refund your money for that stale popcorn, better not re-enter the auditorium with a scowl on your face or EMNRambo will plant his "pretty nice blade" in your chest. Even if you're CCing.

I think we've already told him about six times to learn the freakin' law on self-defense.

I wonder why he didn't take a clue from the police: "[Police Capt. Shoemaker] added it's a good thing an off-duty officer wasn't at the theater because it's likely the officer would have engaged the actor. Had the actor not complied, the situation could have turned out much worse." A cop wouldn't start shooting until there was a lack of compliance (which is bad enough in itself. I guess not all police learned their lesson from the dead native American woodcarver a few years ago).

And, too bad EMN can't write clearly. He asks if we "would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?" Would have? As they entered? Meaning, the actor did enter the auditorium. But, nowhere in the video clip or the text of the story does it say the actor entered the auditorium. So, how does one reply to a question that posits something occurred when it didn't? And, "them"? Who's "them"? There was one actor.

Does he really think enough of us are so dumb--or ignorant of the law on self-defense--as to start shooting someone without all the elements of AOJ/I present such that its worth asking that question? Or, is he just projecting?

And, what's up with that "really nice blade" lingo? Oooo. I wonder if he's trying to impress himself by carrying it, or us by telling us about it--in a post in which the niceness of the weapon is irrelevant.

I guess we need to tell him again. "Learn the law on self-defense!" And, start applying it. As in, when you read something like the news story, start looking for the elements that only when all present and combined justify lethal force.

In the meantime, somebody in Washington might wanta check whether there is a constitutional prohibition on the legislature making a law that applies only one person or a group. If not, it might be a good idea to raise the age limit for EMN to carry a gun.

Side Note: And, what's with the repeated references in the story to an active shooter? There was absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt no shooting, active or otherwise. Oooo. Lets just use the term to really impress everybody. So at what point did the actor turn into an active shooter? With fake guns?
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Maybe he (actor) was considered a active actor acting like a shooter.. ? This whole story is beyond strange. ???

That is crazy! I went to high school in Jeff City, Mo. I've BEEN to that theater a thousand times! Those have to be the absolute dumbest owners I've ever heard of!

As for whether I'd have drawn, it's impossible to say. I wasn't there, and I wouldn't want to assess the situation from behind a computer screen.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

The actor is VERY lucky a lawfully carrying citizen wasn't there and shot him thinking it was another copycat attack.

idiot theater stunt - by the theater!

Utter imbiciles!

"During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun...
    it was all part of a publicity stunt for the movie opening. The man in tactical gear was an actor carrying a fake gun...
    Capital 8 Theaters manager Bob Wilkins told ABC 17 News this was planned months in advance and only a few people were upset, but hundreds were entertained..."

http://www.abc17news.com/news/movie-...z/-/index.html

They are lucky nobody was trampled in a panic. They would have been completely responsible.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member HighValueWarrior's Avatar
    This is what happens to peoples minds on too much fluoride ......... thank god someone wasn't killed.
    Hope they can find some criminal charges for these idiots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
    This is what happens to peoples minds on too much fluoride ......... thank god someone wasn't killed.
    Hope they can find some criminal charges for these idiots.
    An infowars reader I see .... some good stuff there ...

Wacky PR & marketing folks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Well, there you have it readers. If the movie theater refuses to refund your money for that stale popcorn, better not re-enter the auditorium with a scowl on your face or EMNRambo will plant his "pretty nice blade" in your chest. Even if you're CCing.

I think we've already told him about six times to learn the freakin' law on self-defense.

I wonder why he didn't take a clue from the police: "[Police Capt. Shoemaker] added it's a good thing an off-duty officer wasn't at the theater because it's likely the officer would have engaged the actor. Had the actor not complied, the situation could have turned out much worse." A cop wouldn't start shooting until there was a lack of compliance (which is bad enough in itself. I guess not all police learned their lesson from the dead native American woodcarver a few years ago).

And, too bad EMN can't write clearly. He asks if we "would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?" Would have? As they entered? Meaning, the actor did enter the auditorium. But, nowhere in the video clip or the text of the story does it say the actor entered the auditorium. So, how does one reply to a question that posits something occurred when it didn't? And, "them"? Who's "them"? There was one actor.

Does he really think enough of us are so dumb--or ignorant of the law on self-defense--as to start shooting someone without all the elements of AOJ/I present such that its worth asking that question? Or, is he just projecting?

And, what's up with that "really nice blade" lingo? Oooo. I wonder if he's trying to impress himself by carrying it, or us by telling us about it--in a post in which the niceness of the weapon is irrelevant.

I guess we need to tell him again. "Learn the law on self-defense!" And, start applying it. As in, when you read something like the news story, start looking for the elements that only when all present and combined justify lethal force.

In the meantime, somebody in Washington might wanta check whether there is a constitutional prohibition on the legislature making a law that applies only one person or a group. If not, it might be a good idea to raise the age limit for EMN to carry a gun.

Side Note: And, what's with the repeated references in the story to an active shooter? There was absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt no shooting, active or otherwise. Oooo. Lets just use the term to really impress everybody. So at what point did the actor turn into an active shooter? With fake guns?
    In the hypothetical event such actor entered the theater carrying a rifle in hand A/O/J would all be present. Forest through the trees citizen, I won't even address the rest of the gibberish you wrote

NRA Member

Activist Member
    Had he walked into the theater with what "appeared" to be a real gun, and what "any" other person would have reasonably believed to be a real gun and pointed it at me or another patron, then yes he would have been shot.

Walking into a theater with a rifle (real or fake) and pointing it at patrons is a life-threatening gesture, and I would deal with it immediately. You certainly do NOT want a man with a rifle to get the jump on you while carrying a handgun.

Now, had he walked into the theater with a rifle slung and not pointing it at people or acting in a threatening manner I wouldn't have done anything other than watch him from a distance. I might have walked up to him and asked him a "friendly" question just to see how his demeanor was. Maybe "What kind of rifle are you carrying?" or perhaps "That sure is a nice firearm you have there." Being a peace officer it is MY responsibility to make sure my fellow citizens are safe, but I would NOT call dispatch and request a patrolman, because if he was doing nothing other than openly carrying a long-gun then he is well within his rights to do so here in Kentucky.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

...or my mother's Glock 19 concealed...
    Now that's a mothers love when she lets you borrow her Glock 19.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

I won't even address the rest of the gibberish you wrote

It would pay to listen to that gibberish it may just keep you out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    It would pay to listen to that gibberish it may just keep you out of jail.
    I know what he wrote, he ignored the context of the statement being trapped in a seeming copycat of a mass shooting with extremely similar details.

in that context nothing illegal was advocated.

maybe some wording choice was poor... But i'm well aware it's illegal to employ a deadly weapon against someone who is not posing a deadly threat to myself or others.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.

NRA Member

Sounds like a good way to end up with a chest full of 45ACP or another flavor of ammo. I carry every place I can and this guy would be hurting if he ran into a off duty cop or a person with their own firearm.

I know what he wrote, he ignored the context of the statement being trapped in a seeming copycat of a mass shooting with extremely similar details.

in that context nothing illegal was advocated.

maybe some wording choice was poor... But i'm well aware it's illegal to employ a deadly weapon against someone who is not posing a deadly threat to myself or others.

Yet, if a cop or regular Joe pulled their gun and ordered the man to the ground. If that actor made any slight movement in a threatening manner he would be dead. People are already on high alert and they are not going to take chances, it takes very little to spook a person. This all could have ended badly.
    Last edited by zack991; 05-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

already posted in the state forum

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    not that anyone's keeping score, but I posted this thread first

Still, having a mod merge these threads would be great.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Utter imbiciles!

"During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun...
    it was all part of a publicity stunt for the movie opening. The man in tactical gear was an actor carrying a fake gun...
    Capital 8 Theaters manager Bob Wilkins told ABC 17 News this was planned months in advance and only a few people were upset, but hundreds were entertained..."

http://www.abc17news.com/news/movie-...z/-/index.html
    In Wisconsin, and other states as well, people appearing less threatening than this, have been shot and killed by police. After review, the shootings were considered to be justified... "a good shooting"

This actor, was VERY lucky.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Poor planning, but not as radical as some of the news reports make out, since they left out important details on purpose to help scare people, and we shouldn't help them do that, should we? Let's include a few more relevant details.

The gun had a toy designating orange tip (probably airsoft, perhaps a partially clear gun, see photo and quotes) and I gather that the man was not a loner showing up suddenly to terrify people in front of the big screen as a shock stunt, he was part of a cosplay group doing their thing in a nonthreatening, probably yawn-inducing, way in the lobby. The theater owner said this group had showed up for many openings, and indeed I can see that the group has web sites that show they do many types of venues in many types of costume.

Really this was a fairly routine type of promotion in previous years. It became an incident only because of people being jittery this year from media hype, and planners failing to consider how the actor might look out of context on the way to his group. He should have been with other members of the group and some group signage when entering, or had some of his gear out of sight on the way in and geared up in-context.

Here's a photo that might help to understand what people really saw:

http://i.imgur.com/gAcRt9l.jpg

And more details:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...s_911_call.php

In context (in the lobby, group of actors dressed up in movie theme) it's very clear what's going on and you'd have to be a real nut to get excited about it.

Out of context (such as parking lot, one actor entering with gear, maybe poor lighting, bad eyesight or what have you) someone who missed the big orange tip could obviously get the wrong idea and call 911. The veteran interviewed had PTSD, and was in the parking lot, but it was someone else who actually called 911 and I'm not sure where they were when they saw the man and why they didn't see or understand the blazing orange tip and possibly transparent and cheap toy nature of the weapon.

Cosplay groups and venues are going to have to rethink how things are done and avoid any chance of misunderstanding, now that people are jumpy about shootings from the current gun control media blitz. Indeed they are lucky that no one got hurt.

But if everyone and his dog is now justified in taking down orange-tipped airsoft "active shooters", then I guess we'll start seeing reports of "justifiable" shootings in the parking lots of department stores adjacent to airsoft and laser tag venues. Clueless shopper sees a gangly preteen exit Mom's van with a toy gun, fails to notice AirSoft World next door, and tells 911 that a gunman is heading toward Macy's. That's the whole point of the orange tips being mandated.

This mishap was poor judgment in today's environment and it could have been easily avoided, but it's also the result of a society being conditioned by an activist media, and you are going to see what's considered "good judgment" get smaller and smaller over time, until there may not be much elbow room. Remember, kids are also getting in trouble for drawing pictures or writing essays about guns in school.

If God forbid we have a wacko shooting someday at an outdoor mall venue or a restaurant or outdoors store from someone in normal clothes and unthreatening who enters the area wearing a holstered sidearm, and a prolonged media hype about it, then suddenly people will consider that venue and that appearance dangerous and irresponsible. If a shooter wears a purple baseball cap then that will become off limits too. People doing dumb things or making mistakes make it easy for the media, but the media will create anti-gun news either way.

Hope this event doesn't hurt the current 2A/OC efforts!

When I was a kid, preteen or very early teen, I was playing with a cap gun in my living room when a police officer snuck in the back screen door with his gun drawn and pointed upwards. That was before any toys had orange tips, so the gun may have looked semi realistic. I was terrified to see an armed officer enter without warning. The police officer was at the wrong house due to a mistake in routing the officer to a completely unrelated call at another location. "Doh! Wrong house, sorry." Luckily the officer wasn't afraid of his shadow. I certainly wasn't doing anything wrong, but it was a somewhat dangerous situation and I'm very glad it happened back then instead of now. I was tall enough to possibly be seen as a threat, and the officer was responding to a call about some type of intruder, probably armed, so he was expecting to see someone with a gun upon entering the house and I could see him size me up. Rational heads are needed when evaluating any situation, and details are important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast