Thread: Getting flak from random people for Open Carry?

Getting flak from random people for Open Carry?

I open carry wherever I go. The holster is very visible and a well-cared for glock 19 is always inside strapped to the right side of my hip. Of course, I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop. I carry it to protect not only myself, but citizens around me. What I am wondering is why people seem to think this isn't acceptable? I was at Wal-mart the other day and was peacefully browsing around the store near the ammo section when a random guy came up to me and said...

Him: "So, open carry huh?"

Me: "Yeah."

Him: "Well THAT'S RIDICULOUS!"

I was kinda surprised about this. He was quite bitter about how he said it, too, and immediately wandered off after he said that. I was taken off guard for a few seconds, but then I yelled after him "It's my constitutional right!".

I wasn't doing anything bad, wasn't fumbling with my gun or anything, was well-dressed, polite, and not doing anything out of the ordinary. Is anyone else getting flak like this? I don't get it. The moment I'm the only thing standing between him and a badguy, he would certainly change his tune...

When I see a peaceful person with a gun at their side, I think "Oh look, a good guy!", and consider it added protection in the area. What's up with people thinking anything otherwise? If I were a bad guy, why on earth would I draw attention to myself by strapping the gun to my side?

Anyways, I think it's stupid that people get all upset like this. They should be grateful that people take it upon themselves to stay armed and are willing to not only protect themselves, but other people around them.
    Last edited by KurtTheMormon; 05-10-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Banned
    Don't even respond ...

I have not had any one say anything yet, besides what I am carrying. But I would probably ignore them also.

No problems of that sort in Weber County... yet. Most people who are not really "into" sidearms (and many who are barely into them) are unaware that Utah is an OC state, and OC is supported in the Utah State Constitution as well as the statutes. Also, the state laws regarding firearms are preemptive laws - no political subdivision can create local firearms laws in contravention of the state law. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 05-11-2013 at 02:06 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Folks would be more welcoming as they notice you OCing if you were not dripping Cheetos crumbs all over the place.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtTheMormon View Post
    --snipped--
    ...........but then I yelled after him.............
    Bad form - very bad form.

That coupled with your other posts raises some serious questions about who and what you are. By the tone and tenor you come across as an in-your-face, internet expert and I even suspect you are jerking our chain, playing with the site. If that is the case, you won't last long here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: Getting flak from random people for Open Carry?

Really Kurt seems like gecko45 again oh brother here we go again

questions comments problems call anytime 8014487574
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Maybe you should check with a surplus store for a used "flak" vest...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Re: Getting flak from random people for Open Carry?

Kurt? Huh?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Maybe you should check with a surplus store for a used "flak" vest...

+1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtTheMormon
    a random guy came up to me and said...
    And his opinion matters to you why, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth
    Don't even respond
    +1
    Perhaps a raised eyebrow & sorrowful headshake.
    Tasteful yet understated.

Odd, I've never had anyone complain about to me when I open carry. The other day, also at Walmart, I had two gentlemen from Alabama who recently moved here and were elated to find out that Utah allows open carry. In fact I've only ever had people just ask questions about the laws or curiously ask why I personally do it. I do have to agree that yelling after the guy was not the best approach; it was kind of a missed opportunity to help better inform someone who may not know why people open carry.

(BTW yes this is my first post, I lurk around forums a bit but tend not to post, just felt I'd get less lazy and actually register and respond to this one.)

My Experience With Open Carry In the Salt Lake Valley

From time to time I open carry, but usually I "casual carry" ( open shirt covering the holstered firearm, but the shirt frequently blows open in the wind). I have never had anyone say anything to me. In Cabela's, when taking one of my friends to visit (he open carry - me concealed), a clerk asked him to keep his handgun holstered "unless he needed it to defend himself or another person". At home I always open carry until bedtime - then the handgun goes on the nightstand at the ready.

I have learned from experience that whether or not somebody "says something" about open carry has a lot to do with how you are dressed, hair length, personal; grooming, and the way you present yourself. I have "cop hair" and am an ex-LEO (Deputy Sheriff - Rock County, Wisconsin). Sometimes when I open carry, I find people looking for a "badge".

I believe at least some Utah citizens (and even some Utah LEOs) are starting to "get it" - that bad guys do not open carry - only good guys do. And, while I support your right to open carry, I personally prefer the tactical advantage of concealed carry. But, when I do open carry, having a permit means my firearm is ready to go "bang" without having to do extra work to make it ready. I also do not have to worry about those ever present and ever pesky Gun Free School Zones. (Misnamed - they are actually "come kill me" zones.) Thus, if you do not have a permit, I encourage you to attend the course and apply.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.