• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your SHTF gear here!

HP995

Being prepared to stop bleeding or ward off hunger or thirst for a while is not any crazier than having a spare tire or carrying a weapon. All of these help to deal with a possible problem. If you have any sort of accident and no one's around, cell phone doesn't work, those supplies will look good!

OC for ME

Unless you are in the basement too that would be like having a gun at home while you are out.

OTOH - wonder if speed dial would work.......:lol:
You do know that these things are purported to be able to walk up, and even down, stairs. Ikeep "him" in the basement cuz I got HOA nazis always on the watch for "unauthorized" lawn decorations.;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd throw down all my weapons, the predator won't kill unarmed people. Or kneecap myself because they won't hunt cripples. Apparently they have sportsmans ethics

Man o' man. Don't know about you, but I'm not going to share a cell with Big Bubba in the hopes that he will be gentle with me either :uhoh: :eek:

EMNofSeattle

Man o' man. Don't know about you, but I'm not going to share a cell with Big Bubba in the hopes that he will be gentle with me either :uhoh: :eek:

Haven't you seen the movies? in the first one the predator never kills the unarmed hostage rescuees, only the armed soldiers protecting them. in the second movie a predator decides not to kill an armed police officer because she's pregnant.

they have a strict code of honor, and besides, if you've watched all the movies, your chances are much better trying not to shoot them anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haven't you seen the movies? in the first one the predator never kills the unarmed hostage rescuees, only the armed soldiers protecting them. in the second movie a predator decides not to kill an armed police officer because she's pregnant.

they have a strict code of honor, and besides, if you've watched all the movies, your chances are much better trying not to shoot them anyway.

How do you tell a bad apple/rogue predator (who have no honor) from the good ones who act in accordance with their code. Do the bg's wear [strike]badges[/strike] identification or sumthin'? (whooops - sorry John)

You wanna take point?

mikeyb

My philosophy for SHTF? Be on the back side of the fan. I'm in a region where it will be difficult to get home if there's a major earthquake that destroys our freeway systems. However, we have enough camping supplies onhand to survive a few days, weeks even, and walking distance to stores if need be.

As far as buggin' out? Puhleeze. Seattle's like top 3 for traffic. There will be no buggin' out here. Plus, I'm within a 50 mile radius of Bangor and Everett Naval Stations, and 75 mile radius for Ft. Lewis, so any military strikes will pretty much destroy our area.

EMNofSeattle

My philosophy for SHTF? Be on the back side of the fan. I'm in a region where it will be difficult to get home if there's a major earthquake that destroys our freeway systems. However, we have enough camping supplies onhand to survive a few days, weeks even, and walking distance to stores if need be.

As far as buggin' out? Puhleeze. Seattle's like top 3 for traffic. There will be no buggin' out here. Plus, I'm within a 50 mile radius of Bangor and Everett Naval Stations, and 75 mile radius for Ft. Lewis, so any military strikes will pretty much destroy our area.

However, you're close to the foot of the Cascade mountains, if you and the fam are in reasonable physical shape, you could probably make it into the mountains in 1 day of hiking roughly following 522 past monroe...

mikeyb

However, you're close to the foot of the Cascade mountains, if you and the fam are in reasonable physical shape, you could probably make it into the mountains in 1 day of hiking roughly following 522 past monroe...

We'd go over the pipeline likely, then cross over to Stevens Pass following the powerlines. I'd head for that neck of the woods. Lots of lakes that are hidden up there. Take the train tunnel through to the other side, hang out in the orchards in Leavenworth/Cashmere area.

EMNofSeattle

We'd go over the pipeline likely, then cross over to Stevens Pass following the powerlines. I'd head for that neck of the woods. Lots of lakes that are hidden up there. Take the train tunnel through to the other side, hang out in the orchards in Leavenworth/Cashmere area.

which tunnel? the old cascade tunnel via the Wellington sight on the Iron Goat trail? or the modern cascade tunnel?

I suppose it depends upon weather. I wouldn't want to travel Stevens pass in the winter, in March of 1910 the deadliest avalanche in US history killed over 90 people in a small town called Wellington on the pass. that's where the Iron Goat trail now passes. I would try to follow the transmission lines out by Duvall out south, then risk a brief hike through Carnation and take the John Wayne Trail (Iron Horse State Park) out over Snoqualmie. if during the winter that is. I wouldn't want to cross Stevens pass between November and May....

We-the-People

Stores? Really? If any part of your plan post SHTF includes going to the store to pick up what you need....you need a new plan!

Stores will be magnets for those who are desperate and have not prepared. They aren't going to be open after such an event thought they are likely to be be looted and bare shelves in mere hours after such a cataclysmic event as an earthquake that shuts down all freeway systems. Just look at the experiences on the east coast before a major storm. People run the stores and empty them of things that they should have had on hand already. BASICS like food, snow shovels, etc.

EMNofSeattle

Stores? Really? If any part of your plan post SHTF includes going to the store to pick up what you need....you need a new plan!

Stores will be magnets for those who are desperate and have not prepared. They aren't going to be open after such an event thought they are likely to be be looted and bare shelves in mere hours after such a cataclysmic event as an earthquake that shuts down all freeway systems. Just look at the experiences on the east coast before a major storm. People run the stores and empty them of things that they should have had on hand already. BASICS like food, snow shovels, etc.

or the owners and their buddies will be set up on the roof with rifles and shoot anyone who attempts to loot the place.

We-the-People

or the owners and their buddies will be set up on the roof with rifles and shoot anyone who attempts to loot the place.

Ah yes, the LA riots situation in which stores guarded by owners with defensive rifles were spared the looting experienced in unguarded stores. California took care of that though with all their ridiculous new anti-gun laws.

EMNofSeattle

Ah yes, the LA riots situation in which stores guarded by owners with defensive rifles were spared the looting experienced in unguarded stores. California took care of that though with all their ridiculous new anti-gun laws.

well remember, California is a state run by leftist idealouges...

actually the AWB in california was passed in 1989. the riots were in 1992. from what I understand a korean radio station actually illegally broadcasted at full power speaking in korean asking for koreans around the country to help... from what I've read I think many of the "evil assault weapons" were actually brought in by koreans from Nevada who came in to assist their sister community in LA

no koreans were ever prosecuted on any charges as a result of the armed defense of K-town

We-the-People

well remember, California is a state run by leftist idealouges...

actually the AWB in california was passed in 1989. the riots were in 1992. from what I understand a korean radio station actually illegally broadcasted at full power speaking in korean asking for koreans around the country to help... from what I've read I think many of the "evil assault weapons" were actually brought in by koreans from Nevada who came in to assist their sister community in LA

no koreans were ever prosecuted on any charges as a result of the armed defense of K-town

I believe the AWB in CA didn't affect those who already had them and registered them. My father had a "pre ban" Colt AR15 and when he passed my mother gave it to the local PD (arrrrgh) but he was a cop and they said they would put it to good use so she gave it to them. Along with 40 and 30 round mags, case, 4x scope, etc.

They may have been grandfathered AR's on those roof tops.