Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: How we know that the earth is old

  1. #1
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495

    Lightbulb How we know that the earth is old

    After reading this thread, which is very broad in scope, I decided to start a thread focusing on one [relatively] narrow aspect of the subject of origins.

    When multiple independent lines of evidence give the same result, we can be very confident in said result. Various forms of radiometric dating have been challenged by Young Earth Ereationists (hereinafter YECs), but we can be very sure that these radiometric methods are very accurate, as I will outline in this post.

    Due to tidal drag, the earth's rotation is slowing. The rate of this slowing can be precisely measured (0.0016 seconds per century). For a certain amount of time ago, one can calculate how long a day would have been. For instance, 400 million years ago, a day would have been about 21.5 hours long. Since a day was shorter, there would have been more days in a year (400 million years ago, there would have been about 400 days per year). Corals have daily and annual growth rings. Corals living today have 365 daily growth rings for every annual growth rings. However, fossil corals have been found that have more than 365 daily growth rings for every annual ring. Specifically, corals have been found in strata dated, via radio-isotope methods, to about 400 million years ago. These corals have about 400 daily growth rings per annual growth ring, indicating that they lived during a time when the year was about 400 days long. Via simple physics, as outlined at the start of this paragraph, one can correlate the number of days per year with a specific amount of time in the past, and vice versa. Since a 400 day year corresponds, via the physics calculations, to 400 million years ago, and since the strata in which the fossil corals were found were radiometrically dated to 400 million years ago, we have excellent independent confirmation of the validity and integrity of radiometric dating.

    QED

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    We know the earth is very old because several members of The Oulde Pharte Men's Club were around when the molten mass was cooling and the debate was taking place on what the place ought to look like. Personally, I was on the feasability committe about dirt. (BTW, I voted against it. Obviouskly, I was outvoted.)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    There's a good TV commercial that hawks these units that you stick rolls of wax paper, plastic wrap, and/or aluminum foil in and they then dispense
    the exact amount needed for your purpose. Matter of fact they even preload them with the roll of choice for you...I'm guessing the aluminum foil for you, right???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minarchist.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	10397
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Well OP, if the earth's rotation is slowing, then what real estate should I purchase to be in the light side once it stops all together?

    I need to know as I invest in real estate ...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,150

    Special Creation cannot be falsified.

    The Creator God made all that is fifteen minutes ago, right down to the tiniest detail and supposed memory. How else do you account for deja vu all over again and again and again.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Because when method A and method B give nearly identical answers, and the two methods are completely unrelated, that doesn't refute the claims by the scientifically illiterate that method A is invalid. No, nuh uh.

    So the pseudoscientists are left with

    (1) complete, utter coincidence, or

    (2) massive conspiracy by thousands of strangers in dozens of countries, or

    (3) "la la la la I can't hear you" while plugging their ears (kind of like the replies in this thread so far),

    to explain away this very damaging truth.

    I will be sure to point to this thread and the initial lack of substantive replies the next time someone brings up the tired old "radiometric dating in invalid because ____" B.S.

  7. #7
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The Creator God made all that is fifteen minutes ago, right down to the tiniest detail and supposed memory. How else do you account for deja vu all over again and again and again.
    Unfalsifiable hypotheses are not something to be proud of. They are useless, since it would be pointless to talk about anything if you accept that it is proper to profess them.

  8. #8
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I wonder who created this old thing ?

    Is there an experiment I could do to prove it ?
    No.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by minarchist View Post

    I will be sure to point to this thread and the initial lack of substantive replies the next time someone brings up the tired old "radiometric dating in invalid because ____" B.S.
    Please cite where the above was brought up or said? Are you making stuff up again?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Please cite where the above was brought up or said? Are you making stuff up again?
    Strawman. I never said that "the next time someone brings up the tired old "radiometric dating in invalid because ____" B.S." refers to something that occured in this thread. On the contrary, I created this thread in response to claims, both elsewhere on this board and off this board, that radiometric dating is invalid.

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by minarchist View Post
    Strawman. I never said that "the next time someone brings up the tired old "radiometric dating in invalid because ____" B.S." refers to something that occured in this thread. On the contrary, I created this thread in response to claims, both elsewhere on this board and off this board, that radiometric dating is invalid.
    So you are admitting to making crapola up?

    LIAR!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    So you are admitting to making crapola up?
    No.

    LIAR!
    Cretin utterly lacking in reading comprehension (not to mention a sense of justice).

  13. #13
    Regular Member KYKevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    There's a good TV commercial that hawks these units that you stick rolls of wax paper, plastic wrap, and/or aluminum foil in and they then dispense
    the exact amount needed for your purpose. Matter of fact they even preload them with the roll of choice for you...I'm guessing the aluminum foil for you, right???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minarchist.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	10397
    Hey! I was selling those kits! There must be someone spying on me. I better go make a hat and line my windows with tinfoil.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

    We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I wonder who created this old thing ?

    Is there an experiment I could do to prove it ?
    Where is the evidence that says the earth MUST have been created by "something". In fact, we KNOW how planets are formed and it doesn't require any supernatural forces, why would the earth be any different? When you assume an answer before you even ask the question you have effectively failed at any science based approach to the topic.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Since there has been a known rate of space dust collection on the earth and that some areas are relatively undisturbed you can theoretically measure the number of layers found for X depth do some math and then run the numbers and come out with a theoretical age of the planet.

    You do have to keep in mind the number of comets that come through at what intervals and those would have to be added to the calculations.

    Realistically we don't know the age of the Earth. We can make a theoretical claim that it is X(number)millions/billions of years old though.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    Where is the evidence that says the earth MUST have been created by "something". In fact, we KNOW how planets are formed and it doesn't require any supernatural forces, why would the earth be any different? When you assume an answer before you even ask the question you have effectively failed at any science based approach to the topic.
    Evidence that the earth MUST have been created? Well, the Earth is here so...

    If the Earth was "created", then the evidence of such would not be scientific.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 05-13-2013 at 10:41 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Evidence that the earth MUST have been created? Well, the Earth is here so...

    If the Earth was "created", then the evidence of such would not be scientific.
    Exactly..and the formation of planets is not unknown. The Earth very well COULD have been "created" by something, however nothing says that it must have happened. To assume a creator when one is not needed is useless.

  18. #18
    Regular Member minarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Since there has been a known rate of space dust collection on the earth and that some areas are relatively undisturbed you can theoretically measure the number of layers found for X depth do some math and then run the numbers and come out with a theoretical age of the planet.

    You do have to keep in mind the number of comets that come through at what intervals and those would have to be added to the calculations.

    Realistically we don't know the age of the Earth. We can make a theoretical claim that it is X(number)millions/billions of years old though.
    I beg to differ. Independent methods give the same answer to within very small tolerances. The earth is very probably 4.54 0.05 billion years old.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    Exactly..and the formation of planets is not unknown. The Earth very well COULD have been "created" by something, however nothing says that it must have happened. To assume a creator when one is not needed is useless.
    To assume no creator leaves out the biggest piece of the puzzle. That to me is useless.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I saw a Doctor Who show that showed when the Earth will be destroyed ... I wasn't paying that much attention but I think it's going to happen next month. Sayonara, suckers.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    To assume no creator leaves out the biggest piece of the puzzle. That to me is useless.
    Stop assuming anything. Either the evidence will lead to a creator or not. Making assumptions in general is useless.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    Stop assuming anything. Either the evidence will lead to a creator or not. Making assumptions in general is useless.
    Not so. We assume that the same natural laws that apply now, applied 10000 years ago. We rely on assumption. It is unavoidable.

    If there is a creator, he will decide where the evidence will lead.

    Also, there is no logical reason to think that just because we understand the creation, that we will understand why it was created the way it was, or why it was created at all. Are these not as equally important questions?

  23. #23
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    I'm kind of cool with just "being." A discussion as to why is great after a few beers......but I'll take just "being" if you don't mind.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  24. #24
    Regular Member March Hare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arridzona - Flatlander
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'm kind of cool with just "being." A discussion as to why is great after a few beers......but I'll take just "being" if you don't mind.
    I'm with you *buys a round*

    -MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

  25. #25
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'm kind of cool with just "being." A discussion as to why is great after a few beers......but I'll take just "being" if you don't mind.
    That works for me also, and I will add I am fine with others being what they wish.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •