• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to WV in the next couple of weeks.

mtbinva

So, due to a relationship with a beautiful woman I want to spend my life with, I'll be moving to the Mt. Nebo/Fayetteville area. I'm in Manassas Virginia, a pretty decently gun friendly state. I've read a lot of this forum, and it doesn't seem as active as some of the other states on the board.

Now, this is strictly a subjective question, but due to knowing I am moving, I have not decided on which state to get my CCW in. Which state is going to be less of a hassle? Also, in the county I live in, OC is pretty common, how is it in WV, especially the area I'll be moving too? I've been reading this forum for a while and am having a tough time discerning the laws in re OC. If I go on a hike or camping, I want to be armed for personal protection.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbinva

Thanks for the information. Soon as I get situated I'll join the WVCDL. I belong now to VCDL.

Look forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ArmedSociety

You'll be in good company - there are many VCDL members in the WVCDL. It is the VCDL that served as the model for the WVCDL.

Ex Pat

Welcome. You will be moving to some of the best WV has to offer. Just enough elevation to keep things from getting too hot in the Summer, but yet warm enough to enjoy the abundant water resources in the area. With regards to OC, WV will have something similar to what VA has written into the hunting regulations, and I have always wanted to ask how this is enforced in VA.

From the VA hunting regulations:

It shall be unlawful to have in possession a
bow, crossbow, or any firearm which is
not unloaded and cased or dismantled on
all National Forest lands statewide, or on
Department-owned lands and on lands
managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties west of the
Blue Ridge Mountains except during the
period when it is lawful to take bear, deer,
grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon,
squirrel, turkey or waterfowl on these
lands; and on Department-owned lands
and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in
counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains
except during the period when it is lawful
to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail,
rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory game birds on these
lands. (See exception for valid concealed
handgun permit holders on page 18.)
It shall be unlawful to possess or transport a loaded firearm or loaded crossbow
in or on any vehicle at any time on National Forest lands or Department-owned
lands. (See exception for valid concealed
handgun permit holders on page 18.)
“Loaded firearm” is defined as a
firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip,
when such magazine or clip is found
engaged or partially engaged in a firearm.

Unfortunately, WV's code has similar wording with regards to OC in the woods, which leaves too much to "officer discretion". There have been some good debates on the subject but no definitive answers IMHO, and I have spent considerable time looking for an exception without any success. That being said, WV does provide for the right to keep and bear arms in the state constitution, and criminal law is silent on OC. Places off limits either open or concealed can be found on the WVCDL website with links to the code.

Again welcome.

Norton

Since you brought up the topic of the permit, as a WV resident you cannot carry on another state's permit within WV, if I recall correctly.

You will need to get a WV permit if you decide not to OC.

eamelhorn

Look up WVCDL on Facebook, you may find there is more activity with OC than you think. I had a meet and greet with some WVCDL members yesterday in Ripley. I had never met them before. As I was looking for them I saw a man OC'ing in the parking lot next to where I was meeting them. I pulled up ask if he was with WVCDL. He said, with a puzzled look, No?? This is just how I carry, Why? I told him and pointed him towards WVCDL. It is being seen more and more. I found the people I was looking for at Shoney's, had coffee and a nice long OC meet and greet.

mtbinva

Well, been here a while now. I did join WVCDL first day here.

Looking for a training class in Fayetteville or Summersville. Thanks.

saiga12boy

So, due to a relationship with a beautiful woman I want to spend my life with, I'll be moving to the Mt. Nebo/Fayetteville area. I'm in Manassas Virginia, a pretty decently gun friendly state. I've read a lot of this forum, and it doesn't seem as active as some of the other states on the board.

Now, this is strictly a subjective question, but due to knowing I am moving, I have not decided on which state to get my CCW in. Which state is going to be less of a hassle? Also, in the county I live in, OC is pretty common, how is it in WV, especially the area I'll be moving too? I've been reading this forum for a while and am having a tough time discerning the laws in re OC. If I go on a hike or camping, I want to be armed for personal protection.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Open carry is not that common in West Virginia though the laws are more lax and more people own guns than in virginia as a whole percentagewise.

Last edited: