• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry for persons not residents of Montana?

quartermiler

Greetings all. My family are all residents of Kansas. My 19 year old granddaughter will be working at a remote dude ranch in Montana from May to October. Will it be legal for her, as a non-resident, to open carry a revolver for protection against wildlife in remote areas while in Montana?

Thanks..............

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Greetings all. My family are all residents of Kansas. Md granddaughter will be working at a remote dude ranch in Montana from May to October. Will it be legal for her, as a non-resident, to open carry a revolver for protection against wildlife in remote areas while in Montana?

Thanks..............

Yes.

She can actually conceal carry without a permit while outside the city/town limit.

MT does not have any non-resident specific laws.

Take a glance at the MT law summary thread. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98402-Montana-State-Law-Summary

Last edited:

MontanaCZ

As one that lives in a remote area of Montana, please make sure that she is carrying an appropriate caliber (that she can shoot well) and proper bullet(s) for the critters she may encounter. Here where we are we carry both a rifle and a pistol.

As Slap said, she can OC anywhere, and can CC outside of town if she wants. If you have a permit that MT accepts that can be used for CC in town too.

I welcome her trip to our great State!! The place is addicting :D

quartermiler

As one that lives in a remote area of Montana, please make sure that she is carrying an appropriate caliber (that she can shoot well) and proper bullet(s) for the critters she may encounter. Here where we are we carry both a rifle and a pistol.

As Slap said, she can OC anywhere, and can CC outside of town if she wants. If you have a permit that MT accepts that can be used for CC in town too.

I welcome her trip to our great State!! The place is addicting :D

I thank you both for setting my mind at ease. She's been patiently waiting to turn 21 to get her CC license. I promised it to her as a gift long ago. Friday I offered her one of my handguns for security while taking isolated walks on days off and evenings in Montana. She jumped on the offer immediately. Her dude ranch job is approximately 24 miles north of Yellowstone and she might come across some dangerous critters. For now, she has a choice between my trusty old 38 revolver and S&W model 29 44mag with 8 3/8 barrel. I think she can handle the S&W. I'd offer my Desert eagle 50 but just don't think she could tolerate the recoil (she's 5'8" tall and only weighs about 130 lbs) or carry all the weight for long hikes. She is experienced with a 38 but I'd like to talk her into something bigger. Whatever she chooses, she'll have a chance to practice shooting with it.

Montana addicting.......... oh yeah! We've taken several vacations there. Wish we could afford to live there full time.

MontanaCZ

Most common 4 legged critters in that area would be bears (both kinds) and Mountain Lion. She can carry bear spray, but I have gotten mixed reviews from people that have actually had to use it. It just depends on the particular bear. Black Bear are really not an issue, it is the Grizzly. Even then they usually will scatter if they scent you. We have all 3 right here at the house so I have some experience with them and having a family here.

As always, 2 legged predators are my biggest concern. That .44mag will be a big heavy pistol to carry. If it is big and heavy, she will most likely not carry it when it will be needed. Take it for what electrons are worth right now..

Augustin

Will it be legal for her, as a non-resident, to open carry a revolver for protection against wildlife in remote areas while in Montana?

She'll want to have a canister of bear spray as well.

Some "experts" believe that "Bear spray... appears to work a lot better than spraying bullets."

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_b0d338b6-7638-11e1-b809-0019bb2963f4.html

I personally agree that bear spray is the better choice, but I'd also have a pistol or assault rifle as a back-up and for certain situations. For example, if camping in a tent and a bear starts to drag it away with you in it, the spray would be almost useless.

There have been many well documented cases of Grizzly bears not being stopped by multiple rounds, both hi-power and small caliber.

The books "Alaska Bear Tales" and "More Bear Tales" by author Larry Kaniut is full of such true stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Bear-Tales-Larry-Kaniut/dp/0882402323

http://www.amazon.com/More-Alaska-T...03729/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y/176-5730535-9741712

Also, she should study a book or two on how to avoid an attack in the first place. Every sporting goods store and book store in Montana carries such a book.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Causes-Avoidance-revised/dp/158574557X

AUGustin

MontanaResident

There's more to fear then Bears in Montana. Lots of places to get lost or injured by just being out in the wilderness. Most of the injuries and deaths I hear about are water related, or mishaps in cutting and gathering firewood.

I've only seen one bear in my 2 years here in this great state, and I thought he/she was going to have a heart attack it was running so fast away from me. Number one rule, if you are not hunting for bear, stay away from them. It's quid quo pro, don't mess with them and they won't mess with you.

That being said, I carry a pistol. Spray cans aren't as reliable as pistols. Spray cans have a shelf life, whereas a well cared for pistol will last for generations.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
She's been patiently waiting to turn 21 to get her CC license. I promised it to her as a gift long ago.

I find the act of begging for and receiving a permission slip a strange "gift", in light of our respected right to carry simply by being alive. That (the respect of that right) is the real gift.

I also find "I'm gonna OC, but only until I can get my permit" hilarious. I thought that way, until I actually did OC, at which point I rapidly realized how superior OC is in every way, and how pointless CC is by comparison.

Last edited:

MontanaResident

I find the act of begging for and receiving a permission slip a strange "gift", in light of our respected right to carry simply by being alive. That (the respect of that right) is the real gift.

I also find "I'm gonna OC, but only until I can get my permit" hilarious. I thought that way, until I actually did OC, at which point I rapidly realized how superior OC is in every way, and how pointless CC is by comparison.

OC in Montana is limited by the weather in cities and towns 9 months of the year. That is unless you want to look like a clown with an oversized belt wrapped around 4 to 5 layers of clothing in near zero temperatures.

Augustin

OC in Montana is limited by the weather in cities and towns 9 months of the year. That is unless you want to look like a clown with an oversized belt wrapped around 4 to 5 layers of clothing in near zero temperatures.

True statements. Although there are other options. One is to use a thigh holster instead of a standard belt holster (also called a drop leg holster or a tactical holster). Another is to carry concealed (legally without a permit) in a fanny pack or man's purse/satchel. Blackhawk manufactures a wide variety of such tactical holsters.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ttlhtornadotacticallegholster.aspx

I prefer thigh holsters as I find them much easier and quicker to draw my pistol from. Also you can wear a heavy winter coat or long rain parka without causing the weapon to be "“wholly or partially covered by clothing or wearing apparel.” Also, it is also easier to carry a large backpack with a padded waistbelt as the pistol hangs below the waistbelt out of the way. The drawbacks are twofold: (1) they look more "radical" and might tend to cause more alarm from antigunners than a standard holster, and (2) they might be less confortable on long hikes and tend to swing around, especially with large frame 45s.

James Wesley Rawles (editor of survivalblog.com) disagrees with me. He wrote, "I personally find the weight of drop-leg holsters uncomfortable for walking long distances. I prefer traditional belt holsters. Not only is the weight distribution more natural--on your waist rather than on your thigh--but they are also quicker to access. But your mileage may vary. If you have the chance, try out this style gear before you buy it."

AUGustin

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If this wasn't a Montana-specific thread, that post would have elicited many more replies.

The issue of OC during winter isn't exactly a new one, and Montana isn't exactly the only state where it gets cold.

Personally, I have a jacket with side zippers for a holster. It has a liner (also with zippers) which is far too warm for most of my winters, even here in the mountains. It would do nicely in Montana. Here, I wear either the outer jacket or the liner by itself 99% of the time.

Anyone who complains that you "have to CC in winter" isn't dedicated to OC.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Personally, I have not had any issues open carrying during the winter. Then again, I live on the west side of the state which is a bit more mild than North Eastern side of the state, temperature wise.

saiga12boy

You need a permit to carry a concealed weapon within a town,city,or logging camp if it's on your person.
You have to open carry in a bar though.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

If this wasn't a Montana-specific thread, that post would have elicited many more replies.

The issue of OC during winter isn't exactly a new one, and Montana isn't exactly the only state where it gets cold.

Personally, I have a jacket with side zippers for a holster. It has a liner (also with zippers) which is far too warm for most of my winters, even here in the mountains. It would do nicely in Montana. Here, I wear either the outer jacket or the liner by itself 99% of the time.

Anyone who complains that you "have to CC in winter" isn't dedicated to OC.

like a police style uniform coat?

I think those are too specialized an item to own just to OC in cold weather although to each their own.

last summer I was in Montana, and Montana is not only hot during the summer days, it's freezing cold at night. last summer I decided to do a 10 mile walk around where my family was staying at 9 mile creek. so I loaded up my father's Glock 17 and took that in a SERPA holster... except I got out the gate of rental property and it was very cold... so I went back in and borrowed my brother's smart phone to look at the internet.. and found concealed carry was legal outside city limits.... (which a Missoula county sheriff's deputy told me on the phone when I called before we left... trust but verify) and then threw a coat over the pistol and went on my walk...

I think it's perfectly ok to switch from OC to CC if the weather conditions make it more practical to CC. I did OC the rest of the time in Montana.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
like a police style uniform coat?

I think those are too specialized an item to own just to OC in cold weather although to each their own.

Mine's brown, and they sell it more as a hunter's type jacket that a uniform one (those tend to be black or blue), although the construction is the same. It was a good price, and I just use it as my normal jacket (it's a good jacket, too). Even when I can't be armed (usually going to class), I still use that jacket. So it doesn't really seem that specialized to me.

I mean, we have to buy holsters, too. Those are specialized.

*shrug*

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Mine's brown, and they sell it more as a hunter's type jacket that a uniform one (those tend to be black or blue), although the construction is the same. It was a good price, and I just use it as my normal jacket (it's a good jacket, too). Even when I can't be armed (usually going to class), I still use that jacket. So it doesn't really seem that specialized to me.

I mean, we have to buy holsters, too. Those are specialized.

*shrug*

Depending, I get uncle mikes holsters, have two or three of those for medium size revolvers or pistols, they'll fit just about anything I'm interested in owning.... I have a glock SERPa because I sometimes borrow glocks from family members, but not often.

How do they work in cold? Do they tend to let the cold into your jacket through the slit? Or not so much?

EMNofSeattle

can you carry loaded concealed in your car without a permit in cities and towns ?

I don't think so. You have to carry open in your car in cities or towns... However I think montana defines concealed as covered by "wearing apparel" with some state AG opinion being no permit required for carry in purses or bags. So you could probably stick your gun in the glovebox and it would be ok..... However I would check the law yourself first, I ll review and provide cites when I get up later this morning

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Depending, I get uncle mikes holsters, have two or three of those for medium size revolvers or pistols, they'll fit just about anything I'm interested in owning.... I have a glock SERPa because I sometimes borrow glocks from family members, but not often.

How do they work in cold? Do they tend to let the cold into your jacket through the slit? Or not so much?

Works great in the cold.... the slit kind of zips up behind/around the gun. It's not a perfect seal but it's good enough.

Ca Patriot

I don't think so. You have to carry open in your car in cities or towns... However I think montana defines concealed as covered by "wearing apparel" with some state AG opinion being no permit required for carry in purses or bags. So you could probably stick your gun in the glovebox and it would be ok..... However I would check the law yourself first, I ll review and provide cites when I get up later this morning

Okay. I think I should have been more clear. I meant can you have a loaded firearm in your vehicle that is concealed but not concealed on your person. Example would be glove box or center console or under the seat or something.