• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Setting the record straight in regard to proselytizing

minarchist

From reading recent threads here in the Social Lounge, I have become aware of a misconception here.

Some seem to think that if a religious person (or persons) approaches one or more non-adherents of that person's particular faith, and say something along the lines of "You should convert to what I am because of reasons X, Y, and Z." and if one of said non-adherents says something to the effect "Reasons X, Y, and Z are flawed for the following reasons.", then it is the person or person who were approached that are guilty of intolerance, and it is these people who were approached, rather than the people who started the discussion in the hopes of converting others, who want to shove their views down the throats of others. :shocker:

This is a peculiar attitude to find on a pro-self defense message board. Normally, pro-self defense people do not absolve the person who initiated violence and blame the person who defensed himself/herself. When the party that was approached by the party that sought conversion, the approached party is not, by any stretch of the imagination, guilty of shoving their views down the throats of the proselytizers when they merely give their reasons for disagreeing (often, the religious proselytizers will not take a polite "I'm not interested" for an answer, so giving reasons for disagreement with their religious views is tried next in order to have them leave you alone). It is as if these individuals think that if the people who were approached for conversion take any course of action other than agreeing with the evangelists without question and then immediately falling on their knees and converting to their religion, then those people are "anti-liberty atheist bigot control freaks" who are trying to force their atheism onto other people.

Religious person who aggressively proselytizes: a good person who is doing his or her duty as a member of that religion

Non-religious person who politely declines to convert, and when pushed, gives reason for declining: an evil, intolerant, liberty-hating piece of crap

:rolleyes:

It is both ironic and sad to see such utterly warped thinking.

WalkingWolf

The bad thing for you is that is not what took place in these forums. No where did religious members try to convert, push, or anything that your outright lies claim. Again with the lies, you should be a politician.

But I am not surprised that your lack of control over other members is controlling you now pushing lies. I doubt you find find one member on this board that gives a damn whether you convert or not. I believe most of us are not that controlling.

Last edited:

minarchist

You are portraying atheists as the ones pushing their beliefs down the throats of others. Tell me, smart guy: who is known for doing door-to-door evangelism, atheists or theists?

Have atheists or theists dominated civilization for the bulk of recorded history?

What percentage of the U.S. population is atheist?

You can take your absurdity and crawl back under your rock now.

minarchist

tumblr_lvdcei2Flk1qjvxfho1_400.jpg

super-retard.jpg

WalkingWolf

You are portraying atheists as the ones pushing their beliefs down the throats of others. Tell me, smart guy: who is known for doing door-to-door evangelism, atheists or theists?

Have atheists or theists dominated civilization for the bulk of recorded history?

You can take your absurdity and crawl back under your rock now.

What has taken place in places in the past and NOT on this site has nothing to due with your lies. You keep making claims that are completely untrue to excuse your control issues. Sorry but it just does not help you, I guess you are destined to be angry because society will not bow to you.

minarchist

What has taken place in places in the past and NOT on this site has nothing to due [SIC---it's DO, not DUE] with your lies. You keep making claims that are completely untrue to excuse your control issues. Sorry but it just does not help you, I guess you are destined to be angry because society will not bow to you.

I am still waiting for you to be consistent and criticize religious people who agressively evangelize without invitation. Your repeated refusal to do this, along with repeating the same retarded mantra (hey, I attached a picture along those lines just for you) of "LIAR!", "you lie", etc., shows who is lacking in character. Until you criticize everyone who offers their thoughts on religious matters, you're just an intolerant religious nutjob who is trying to masquerade as someone who is neutral. Newsflash: when you only criticize one side several times, despite requests for you to apply your professed principles evenly and criticize both sides, it is clear to everyone with a functioning brain that you are in fact not neutral.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I am still waiting for you to be consistent and criticize religious people who agressively evangelize without invitation. Your repeated refusal to do this, along with repeating the same retarded mantra (hey, I attached a picture along those lines just for you) of "LIAR!", "you lie", etc., shows who is lacking in character. Until you criticize everyone who offers their thoughts on religious matters, you're just an intolerant religious nutjob who is trying to masquerade as someone who is neutral. Newsflash: when you only criticize one side several times, despite requests for you to apply your professed principles evenly and criticize both sides, it is clear to everyone with a functioning brain that you are in fact not neutral.

How controlling of you to demand my questioning of your behavior on others. That is rather chicken poop.

minarchist

How controlling of you to demand my questioning of your behavior on others. That is rather chicken poop.

In discussions between the religious and non-religious, you singled out the latter and accused them of desiring to control others and trying to shove their views down the throats of others. In a mutually-consensual discussion (you know, the sort of thing that happens on Internet message boards like this one) between A and B, when you only criticize A for arguing their position, and fail to give a good reason for your one-sided reaction, then you are biased. When you are asked, numerous times, to explain your one-sided reaction, and you respond with childish insults and other evasive tactics, then it is clear that you do not have the courage to just come out and support B. It is retarded to pretend to be neutral when it is as plain as day that you're anything but neutral. Of course, you could demonstrate your neutrality by actually criticizing religious people who try to control others, and who try to agressively shove their views down the thoats of others (it's only been about twenty times that you've been asked).

Once again:

Who is known for doing door-to-door evangelism, atheists or theists?

In light of the above three questions (ESPECIALLY the first one), why do you portray atheists as the ones who are attempting to control others and shove their views down the throats of others?

WalkingWolf

In discussions between the religious and non-religious, you singled out the latter and accused them of desiring to control others and trying to shove their views down the throats of others. In a mutually-consensual discussion (you know, the sort of thing that happens on Internet message boards like this one) between A and B, when you only criticize A for arguing their position, and fail to give a good reason for your one-sided reaction, then you are biased. When you are asked, numerous times, to explain your one-sided reaction, and you respond with childish insults and other evasive tactics, then it is clear that you do not have the courage to just come out and support B. It is retarded to pretend to be neutral when it is as plain as day that you're anything but neutral. Of course, you could demonstrate your neutrality by actually criticizing religious people who try to control others, and who try to agressively shove their views down the thoats of others (it's only been about twenty times that you've been asked).

Once again:

In light of the above three questions (ESPECIALLY the first one), why do you portray atheists as the ones who are attempting to control others and shove their views down the throats of others?
Do you have any citations or proof that any member of this forum has gone door to door anything? IF not you are again lying, making poopoo up. Again religion has nothing to do with my decision on criticizing you, it has to do with your controlling behavior, your lies, and ignorant insinuations. For once you should concern yourself with yourself, instead trying to control who I criticize.

Last edited:

minarchist

Do you have any citations or proof that any member of this forum has gone door to door anything? IF not you are again lying, making poopoo up. Again religion has nothing to do with my decision on criticizing you, it has to do with your controlling behavior, your lies, and ignorant insinuations. For once you should concern yourself with yourself, instead trying to control who I criticize.

You have serious issues if you think that discussions on this board are limited to what transpires on this board.

MKEgal

WalkingWolf said:
Do you have any citations or proof that any member of this forum has gone door to door anything?
For the purpose of allowing you to move past that & answer his questions (which dealt with overall actions of people, not necessarily those of people on this site),
yes, I have gone door to door and I am a member of this forum.
I've been a Girl Scout since I was probably in 1st grade, and have gone door to door selling cookies.
So there's your proof.
Now, will you answer his 3 questions, please?

Well, there were the Unitarians that were mad at me one time... burned a question mark on my front lawn. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Both are doing nothing wrong.

People who want to share there beliefs with others, are in their hearts trying to do good because they found comfort solace, enlightenment, peace....or what ever else in their beliefs, are for the most part just trying to share it with others. For some groups this is a mandate of this belief. I hold no ill will against people engaging in these activities. Most I find are quickly turned away with a polite statement like "No thankyou" or "I'm not interested". If they don't accept that I walk away if they are there first. I have never had to take actions past that.

eye95

Actually, the only people I see on here intolerant of the views of others and proselytizing (in an insulting manner) are the militant atheists.

The are starting crapstorms all over the places and then complaining about getting dirt on them.

Meh. That's why I stopped participating. Everyone in these threads look bad.

This is a drive-by. I am moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Deanimator

You are portraying atheists as the ones pushing their beliefs down the throats of others.
Often they do.

I'm an agnostic and find aggressive atheists every bit as annoying as aggressive believers.

Neither one can rationally prove their position, as by definition, it's not subject to rational proof or disproof.

I don't believe in hell, but if it existed, I'm absolutely certain that it would consist of being forced to listen to "sports talk" framed in a religious context, for all eternity...

Ca Patriot

I have never been at a social event or in a social setting and had Christians start takling about their faith or trying to get people to convert.

However, in the last 15 years, it seems as though half the time i'm in a social setting, someone has to bash Christianity and start debates and arguments about how atheism is great and science proves everything.

Zealouts.

WalkingWolf

I have never been at a social event or in a social setting and had Christians start takling about their faith or trying to get people to convert.

However, in the last 15 years, it seems as though half the time i'm in a social setting, someone has to bash Christianity and start debates and arguments about how atheism is great and science proves everything.

Zealouts.

Agreed I have encountered the same. And in years pass all that it took was a simple "No thank you" for Christians for them to respect my wishes. Not so for anal atheists, they just keep on and on and on and on and on and on. Their argument is always the same argument as anti gun nut cases, they find it offensive that others pray, or offensive that someone would carry a gun in their presence. I still contend it has nothing to do with religion but more attempts by control freaks to control the legal activity of others.

ADobbs1989

Zealouts.

Interesting how Christians never seem to notice other Christians proselytizing, and likewise Atheists never notice other Atheists proselytizing. Ever think that might be linked to the fact that you don't notice annoying people when they are talking about things you agree with? Also Atheism and Science have nothing to do with each other. Yes, most scientists (along with many people with higher levels of education) are Atheists, or at least not Creationists. But recognizing science is not a requirement to be an Atheist, likewise being a scientist does not require you to be an Atheist. Science kinda does prove everything though...if we didn't have the scientific method to test hypothesis nothing would be proven, there would just be a lot of guesses with no real evidence. It is the only means we have to actually *prove* anything.

XD40sc

Religion is like a penis

It's okay to have one

It's okay to be proud of it

HOWEVER

Do not pull it out in public

Do not force it on children

Do not write laws with it

Do not think with it

sudden valley gunner

Often they do.

I'm an agnostic and find aggressive atheists every bit as annoying as aggressive believers.

Neither one can rationally prove their position, as by definition, it's not subject to rational proof or disproof.

I don't believe in hell, but if it existed, I'm absolutely certain that it would consist of being forced to listen to "sports talk" framed in a religious context, for all eternity...

+1

OC for ME

Some folks just can not get off the merry-go-round after it stops.

"Setting the record straight on tedious topics" should have been the thread title.....