Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37

    Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

    This happened Friday morning when my wife and I went to the Federal Building for a SSD hearing and I was already fully aware of the no firearms policy so I left my firearm locked and secured in my car. We entered the building and went through the security checkpoint and emptied my pockets, took off my belt and removed my Foxx IWB holster and placed them in the xray tray. The security guard noticed the "empty" holster and informed me that if I did not take it back to my vehicle he would not let me enter the building. I asked him why and he stated that it violated the "no firearms" policy and I could be fined for doing so. I did not want to be late for the hearing so I grabbed my holster all while firmly asserting that a empty holster is not considered a firearm... Did he have the right to do this? What would he think would have happened? I get mad and throw my holster at somebody!

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    That is extremely funny.

    File a complaint - then maybe he will learn that an empty holster is not a gun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is extremely funny.

    File a complaint - then maybe he will learn that an empty holster is not a gun.
    Trying to find out who they contract out to so I can file a complaint and did not get a good look at company name on their sleeve.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    44

    Re: Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

    Ridiculous! I would formally complain and request a response in writing.

    I probably would have become a little sarcastic and asked if I needed to leave my trigger finger in the car as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I had almost the same problem at our county courthouse one time.
    The rent-a-cop asked if my holster was for my GPS.
    When I said no, it's for my pistol, he got upset & told me I couldn't have it 'cause of the no gun policy.
    I pointed out it wasn't a gun, picked up my property & went to the elevator.
    They actually had one of their RACs follow me to the courtroom, got a bailiff (who also tried to tell me that a holster is a gun), then they called a real deputy on the radio.
    If you've never seen a "you idiot, you called me for what?" sort of look, this deputy did a really good one.
    He sent the RACs away, talked with me for a minute, admitted that the holster was essentially the same as my backpack (both black nylon), then left.
    I wrote a nice letter about him to the Sheriff, being sure to point out the idiocy of the RACs.
    (Oh, and the ADA persecuting me made sure to mention it in his remarks to the judge, to which I pointed out that it's perfectly legal. He didn't have anything to say after that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaBK View Post
    Ridiculous! I would formally complain and request a response in writing.

    I probably would have become a little sarcastic and asked if I needed to leave my trigger finger in the car as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    I like your style!
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Best I can tell is that FPS (Federal Protective Services) is who they use but how to get in contact with them at the Fed Building is what I'm trying to figure out... Any suggestions?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is extremely funny.

    File a complaint - then maybe he will learn that an empty holster is not a gun.
    It will do nothing. Go back and do the same thing except DON'T remove it ... then he'll either arrest you or not. Either way its a win for you.

    I understand-you had a hearing to attend.

    I had a deputy at a courthouse telling me I could not wear my hat in the courthouse(I was outside a courtroom). I just let him scream and yell to his heart's content -- I did not remove it. He's the one who looked foolish.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27 View Post
    Best I can tell is that FPS (Federal Protective Services) is who they use but how to get in contact with them at the Fed Building is what I'm trying to figure out... Any suggestions?
    FPS aren't contractors, they're part of DHS. They used to be the security service from General Services Administration (who operate most federal buildings), then got rolled into the DHS boondoggle.

    Which court building?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    FPS aren't contractors, they're part of DHS. They used to be the security service from General Services Administration (who operate most federal buildings), then got rolled into the DHS boondoggle.

    Which court building?
    I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock. If I ever have to go back in there I'll be sure to arrive extra early and stand my ground.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27 View Post
    I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock. If I ever have to go back in there I'll be sure to arrive extra early and stand my ground.
    Or go in w/o your holster, get your business done ... then go to your car, get it, and return with your holster ...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Or go in w/o your holster, get your business done ... then go to your car, get it, and return with your holster ...
    That is a great idea!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27 View Post
    That is a great idea!
    Your welcome ... good luck

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27 View Post
    I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock.
    That only narrows it down to a couple of blocks full of "federal buildings" on W. Capitol.

    Is it the U.S. District Court?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    That only narrows it down to a couple of blocks full of "federal buildings" on W. Capitol.

    Is it the U.S. District Court?
    700 W. Capital Ave. Little Rock, AR... that Federal Building. That's where they hold all Social Security cases.

  16. #16
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    Long ago, back when we were still fighting for open carry in Oklahoma, I started wearing an empty holster everywhere I went. Once on the the OHP Troopers working the security checkpoints at the State capitol asked me what the holster was for. I told him it was "lawfully protected political speech" and I never EVER had another issue. I've also used this before with police officers who have asked about why I was carrying an empty holster, and it had immediately ended the contact.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I had almost the same problem at our county courthouse one time.
    The rent-a-cop asked if my holster was for my GPS.
    When I said no, it's for my pistol, he got upset & told me I couldn't have it 'cause of the no gun policy.
    I pointed out it wasn't a gun, picked up my property & went to the elevator.
    They actually had one of their RACs follow me to the courtroom, got a bailiff (who also tried to tell me that a holster is a gun), then they called a real deputy on the radio.
    If you've never seen a "you idiot, you called me for what?" sort of look, this deputy did a really good one.
    He sent the RACs away, talked with me for a minute, admitted that the holster was essentially the same as my backpack (both black nylon), then left.
    I wrote a nice letter about him to the Sheriff, being sure to point out the idiocy of the RACs.
    (Oh, and the ADA persecuting me made sure to mention it in his remarks to the judge, to which I pointed out that it's perfectly legal. He didn't have anything to say after that.)
    Surely you won your case against this idiot ADA?

    I could see it now.

    ADA, Your Honor the Defendant today is wearing an empty gun holster in court.

    Judge to Defendant, A empty gun holster in court< Defendant, yes your Honor, I also have a brief case and an empty wallet in court today.

    Judge, CASE DISMISSED. lol

  18. #18
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Rent-a-cop, or federal LEO?

    I watched the rent-a-cops at the federal bldg. and a 90+ year old man on 2 aluminum crutches. They couldn't understand that he can't walk through the metal detector without his crutches, and wouldn't clear him to enter the building until he did. I was on my way out, so never saw how it was resolved, but is was sadly comical.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Wear loose pants and no underwear.

    Wear a holster that requires belt removal.

    Do as they say...
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-21-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    Long ago, back when we were still fighting for open carry in Oklahoma, I started wearing an empty holster everywhere I went. Once on the the OHP Troopers working the security checkpoints at the State capitol asked me what the holster was for. I told him it was "lawfully protected political speech" and I never EVER had another issue. I've also used this before with police officers who have asked about why I was carrying an empty holster, and it had immediately ended the contact.
    That guy you spoke to must have told everyone in the state ! Amazing....

    keep the faith

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    It will do nothing. Go back and do the same thing except DON'T remove it ... then he'll either arrest you or not. Either way its a win for you.

    I understand-you had a hearing to attend...
    Wow. That advice is really good. Amazingly good.

    Blind squirrels and all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Or go in w/o your holster, get your business done ... then go to your car, get it, and return with your holster ...
    Or just pick a day when you have nothing better to do and carry your holster in in the first place!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Or just pick a day when you have nothing better to do and carry your holster in in the first place!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    Save gas ... 1 trip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •