Thread: Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

This happened Friday morning when my wife and I went to the Federal Building for a SSD hearing and I was already fully aware of the no firearms policy so I left my firearm locked and secured in my car. We entered the building and went through the security checkpoint and emptied my pockets, took off my belt and removed my Foxx IWB holster and placed them in the xray tray. The security guard noticed the "empty" holster and informed me that if I did not take it back to my vehicle he would not let me enter the building. I asked him why and he stated that it violated the "no firearms" policy and I could be fined for doing so. I did not want to be late for the hearing so I grabbed my holster all while firmly asserting that a empty holster is not considered a firearm... Did he have the right to do this? What would he think would have happened? I get mad and throw my holster at somebody!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    That is extremely funny.

File a complaint - then maybe he will learn that an empty holster is not a gun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is extremely funny.

Trying to find out who they contract out to so I can file a complaint and did not get a good look at company name on their sleeve.

Re: Asked to remove holster from Federal Building...

Ridiculous! I would formally complain and request a response in writing.

I probably would have become a little sarcastic and asked if I needed to leave my trigger finger in the car as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I had almost the same problem at our county courthouse one time.
    The rent-a-cop asked if my holster was for my GPS.
    When I said no, it's for my pistol, he got upset & told me I couldn't have it 'cause of the no gun policy.
    I pointed out it wasn't a gun, picked up my property & went to the elevator.
    They actually had one of their RACs follow me to the courtroom, got a bailiff (who also tried to tell me that a holster is a gun), then they called a real deputy on the radio.
    If you've never seen a "you idiot, you called me for what?" sort of look, this deputy did a really good one.
    He sent the RACs away, talked with me for a minute, admitted that the holster was essentially the same as my backpack (both black nylon), then left.
    I wrote a nice letter about him to the Sheriff, being sure to point out the idiocy of the RACs.
    (Oh, and the ADA persecuting me made sure to mention it in his remarks to the judge, to which I pointed out that it's perfectly legal. He didn't have anything to say after that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaBK View Post
    Ridiculous! I would formally complain and request a response in writing.

I probably would have become a little sarcastic and asked if I needed to leave my trigger finger in the car as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    I like your style!
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

Best I can tell is that FPS (Federal Protective Services) is who they use but how to get in contact with them at the Fed Building is what I'm trying to figure out... Any suggestions?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is extremely funny.

It will do nothing. Go back and do the same thing except DON'T remove it ... then he'll either arrest you or not. Either way its a win for you.

I understand-you had a hearing to attend.

I had a deputy at a courthouse telling me I could not wear my hat in the courthouse(I was outside a courtroom). I just let him scream and yell to his heart's content -- I did not remove it. He's the one who looked foolish.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27 View Post
    Best I can tell is that FPS (Federal Protective Services) is who they use but how to get in contact with them at the Fed Building is what I'm trying to figure out... Any suggestions?
    FPS aren't contractors, they're part of DHS. They used to be the security service from General Services Administration (who operate most federal buildings), then got rolled into the DHS boondoggle.

Which court building?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    FPS aren't contractors, they're part of DHS. They used to be the security service from General Services Administration (who operate most federal buildings), then got rolled into the DHS boondoggle.

Which court building?
    I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock. If I ever have to go back in there I'll be sure to arrive extra early and stand my ground.

Banned
    I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock. If I ever have to go back in there I'll be sure to arrive extra early and stand my ground.
    Or go in w/o your holster, get your business done ... then go to your car, get it, and return with your holster ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Or go in w/o your holster, get your business done ... then go to your car, get it, and return with your holster ...
    That is a great idea!

Banned
    That is a great idea!
    Your welcome ... good luck

I've given up on trying to find contact #'s for them... It's the building on W. Capital in Little Rock.
    That only narrows it down to a couple of blocks full of "federal buildings" on W. Capitol.

Is it the U.S. District Court?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    That only narrows it down to a couple of blocks full of "federal buildings" on W. Capitol.

Is it the U.S. District Court?
    700 W. Capital Ave. Little Rock, AR... that Federal Building. That's where they hold all Social Security cases.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Long ago, back when we were still fighting for open carry in Oklahoma, I started wearing an empty holster everywhere I went. Once on the the OHP Troopers working the security checkpoints at the State capitol asked me what the holster was for. I told him it was "lawfully protected political speech" and I never EVER had another issue. I've also used this before with police officers who have asked about why I was carrying an empty holster, and it had immediately ended the contact.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I had almost the same problem at our county courthouse one time.
    The rent-a-cop asked if my holster was for my GPS.
    When I said no, it's for my pistol, he got upset & told me I couldn't have it 'cause of the no gun policy.
    I pointed out it wasn't a gun, picked up my property & went to the elevator.
    They actually had one of their RACs follow me to the courtroom, got a bailiff (who also tried to tell me that a holster is a gun), then they called a real deputy on the radio.
    If you've never seen a "you idiot, you called me for what?" sort of look, this deputy did a really good one.
    He sent the RACs away, talked with me for a minute, admitted that the holster was essentially the same as my backpack (both black nylon), then left.
    I wrote a nice letter about him to the Sheriff, being sure to point out the idiocy of the RACs.
    (Oh, and the ADA persecuting me made sure to mention it in his remarks to the judge, to which I pointed out that it's perfectly legal. He didn't have anything to say after that.)
    Surely you won your case against this idiot ADA?

I could see it now.

ADA, Your Honor the Defendant today is wearing an empty gun holster in court.

Judge to Defendant, A empty gun holster in court< Defendant, yes your Honor, I also have a brief case and an empty wallet in court today.

Judge, CASE DISMISSED. lol

Rent-a-cop, or federal LEO?

I watched the rent-a-cops at the federal bldg. and a 90+ year old man on 2 aluminum crutches. They couldn't understand that he can't walk through the metal detector without his crutches, and wouldn't clear him to enter the building until he did. I was on my way out, so never saw how it was resolved, but is was sadly comical.

Wear loose pants and no underwear.

Wear a holster that requires belt removal.

Do as they say...
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-21-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    Long ago, back when we were still fighting for open carry in Oklahoma, I started wearing an empty holster everywhere I went. Once on the the OHP Troopers working the security checkpoints at the State capitol asked me what the holster was for. I told him it was "lawfully protected political speech" and I never EVER had another issue. I've also used this before with police officers who have asked about why I was carrying an empty holster, and it had immediately ended the contact.
    That guy you spoke to must have told everyone in the state ! Amazing....

keep the faith

Banned

It will do nothing. Go back and do the same thing except DON'T remove it ... then he'll either arrest you or not. Either way its a win for you.

I understand-you had a hearing to attend...
    Wow. That advice is really good. Amazingly good.

Blind squirrels and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Banned

Or just pick a day when you have nothing better to do and carry your holster in in the first place!

<o>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Or just pick a day when you have nothing better to do and carry your holster in in the first place!

<o>
    Save gas ... 1 trip