Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Open Carry at Virginia GOP Convention?

  1. #1
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Open Carry at Virginia GOP Convention?

    So have we come to a consensus as to whether or not the Coliseum and the VA GOP will allow for us to open carry? Last year it wasn't even remotely an issue at the convention center. Not sure about this year.....

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by richarcm View Post
    So have we come to a consensus as to whether or not the Coliseum and the VA GOP will allow for us to open carry? Last year it wasn't even remotely an issue at the convention center. Not sure about this year.....
    Yep.. Open Carry just like last time.

    Last edited by ed; 05-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  3. #3
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182
    Cool. Thanks Ed.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    It seems we owe a debt of gratitude to peter nap for ensuring that there would be no controversy with the Virginia Republican Party this year. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...to-break-loose

    At the last convention it only took a blue-haired Republican matron in a PSH calling the Party Chairman at around 9PM the night before the convention started to get things straightened out. More's the pity that neither Grapeshot not I had a video camera to capture the look of disappointment on her face when she was told that OC/CC was not only "allowed" but welcomed.

    Of course, if the Virginia Seventh Congressional District were hosting the convention it would be a completely different story. ("Thirteen! Thirteen! Thirteen!" Remind me to tell you that story some time. )

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    ? Before 14, but after 12........is there a time limit?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

    I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

    I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)
    Interesting list of no-no's there - note it does not apply to the media.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

    I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)
    Doesn't say you will be, but you are subject to... I doubt they would have the time or personnel to search everyone, and still have the convention.

    So, maybe if you don't shine your laser pointer in the guard's face, you'll be fine...

    TFred

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Doesn't say you will be, but you are subject to... I doubt they would have the time or personnel to search everyone, and still have the convention.

    So, maybe if you don't shine your laser pointer in the guard's face, you'll be fine...

    TFred

    They did last time.

    They also don't define "large" bags - so I'm wondering if my Man-Pack (yes, I know, but I like it) will fall under "backpacks" or "large bags"

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    They did last time.

    They also don't define "large" bags - so I'm wondering if my Man-Pack (yes, I know, but I like it) will fall under "backpacks" or "large bags"
    My guess is they will this time too Tess.
    All the high alert BS is contagious.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

    I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)
    "Any noise making devices" would include operative firearms.

    Say, how about Suppressors?

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    "Any noise making devices" would include operative firearms.

    Say, how about Suppressors?
    Operative firearms are not included in that category, as their primary intended purpose is not to make noise.

    But good manners would indicate the use of suppressors where/when available.

    Please advise us as to time and location of entrance so we can get video of the PSH that will likely ensue on discovery of a legal, lawful suppressor.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    But wait,

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Operative firearms are not included in that category, as their primary intended purpose is not to make noise.

    But good manners would indicate the use of suppressors where/when available.

    Please advise us as to time and location of entrance so we can get video of the PSH that will likely ensue on discovery of a legal, lawful suppressor.

    stay safe.
    Isn't that the "logic" our idiot VP Joe "double barrel" Biden said would save his wife if somebody broke in to his house? "The sound will drive them away."

    Are you saying he is wrong, that a double barrel shotgun is not for making noise? How can that be??????? ;>)

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    "Any noise making devices" would include operative firearms.
    --snip--
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    --snip--..... discovery of a legal, lawful suppressor.
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    --snip-- "The sound will drive them away."
    Are you saying he is wrong........How can that be??????? ;>)
    The shot not heard throughout the world Richmond GOP Convention
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Despite searching bags I think there will be a very good OC turnout. Friday is registration and later the real arm twisting parties. Should be an enjoyable day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •