• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Revokes Reciprocity with Florida

44Brent

http://www.usacarry.com/washington-revokes-reciprocity-florida/

As of April 25, 2013, Washington no longer honors Florida concealed weapon licenses. The Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson revoked the concealed weapons permit reciprocity with Florida. According to the NRA-ILA, it is because Florida allows military veterans that are not get 21 to still obtain a concealed weapons permit. All other citizens must be 21.

“Recognizing that our men and women in the military have been called into service in the fight for Freedom when they reach the age 18 – the age of majority, the Florida legislature lowered the minimum age requirement from 21 to 18 years of age for those men and women who have served our nation and have been honorably discharged from the service.”

What does this mean for you?

If you are a Florida concealed weapons permit holder, you can no longer carry concealed in the state of Washington.

If you are a Washington concealed weapons permit holder, you can no longer carry concealed in the state of Florida.

What can you do about it?

You can help by urging the Attorney General to reinstate reciprocity with Florida and once again recognize our licenses as valid in Washington State.

CALL: Please call Attorney General Ferguson at (360) 753-2702.

E-MAIL: Attorney General Ferguson does not have a publicly available e-mail address, you may send an e-mail to Assistant Attorney General Susan Pierini at: SusanP1@atg.wa.gov

Our Concealed Carry Permit Maps have been updated to reflect this change.

EMNofSeattle

Strike #1

Already several threads on this topic

Washington law is clear as day

The Attorney General has no legal authority whatsoever to reinstate reciprocity as Florida does not meet the guidelines set out in Washington law. The Washington legislature determines reciprocity, the AG only makes the list of conforming states.

Vitaeus

The A.G. is following Washington State Law, which is an amazing thing in this day and age...

Citation link http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.073

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

BobR

Go to the AG website, look at the date of the last review. Just when did the current AG take office?

Following the law, who would have thunk it!!!!

bob

Ronniewo

Well, this is a load of BS. I sent a scathing email to the AG since I'm military and have a FL permit. What exactly does she think this is going to help? Criminals will continue to CC without a license, all it does is prevent me from prtecting my family and myself. I guess I'll have to pay the state for permission to conceal once I get back from this deployment. F-ing hippies.

tattedupboy

I would just suggest open carrying while this gets worked on, but if I remember correctly, Washington only allows unlicensed open carry outside of a vehicle. Am I correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

amlevin

Well, this is a load of BS. I sent a scathing email to the AG since I'm military and have a FL permit. What exactly does she think this is going to help? Criminals will continue to CC without a license, all it does is prevent me from prtecting my family and myself. I guess I'll have to pay the state for permission to conceal once I get back from this deployment. F-ing hippies.

So as I understand it, when a government official actually follows the law it's BS.

As for protecting your family and yourself, you are still allowed to do so. You just can't carry concealed or have the weapon loaded in your vehicle. If it's a semi auto and you have it handy in your car, just lock the slide back and keep the loaded mag where you can reach it. Grab weapon, slam in mag, release slide and you are GTG. WA does not require ammo/mags and firearm to be stored separately or out of reach of the occupants like other states. Just "unloaded".

EMNofSeattle

if you travel to Washington enough to where this is an issue, then get a WA non-res CPL.

Ronniewo

I live here, stationed at JBLM. I just have to wait until after I get back from a deployment to fill out the WA paperwork.

So as I understand it, when a government official actually follows the law it's BS.

So the Sherrifs in Colorado are out of line?

What is your take on Nullification? Ok, as long as it is in your best interest?

Do you realize why they revoced reciprosity?
FL allows Military Vets ages 18-21 to have a concealed permit, and yes it is BS that WA has a problem with that. They could have easily not honored CHL's for those 18-21, or they could have continued to allow reciprosity with just a small effort on their part.

Don't even get me started on the idiotic car carry laws. Let's be an Open Carry state, but make it such a PITA to travel with a loaded weapon that no one does it. Seriously, having to chamber a round every time I get in and out of a car just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

jfslicer

Do you realize why they revoced reciprosity?
FL allows Military Vets ages 18-21 to have a concealed permit, and yes it is BS that WA has a problem with that. They could have easily not honored CHL's for those 18-21, or they could have continued to allow reciprosity with just a small effort on their part.
Totally agree. Why revoke reciprocity just because trained military personnel are now allowed to get concealed carry permits? Dumb. I'm glad our attorney general is enforcing the law as written, but I think this law needs readdressing.

Vitaeus

Other than revamping the entire section 9.41 to change to Constitutional Carry, I am not in favor of making changes to deal with exceptions. Too easy for the exceptions to make it harder to carry, in the name of special circumstances.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
official reply from AGs office

Todays mail included a reply from the AG

Your Recent Correspondence to the Washington State Attorney General's OfficeWednesday, May 22, 2013 2:52 PM
From: "ATG MI PRR Correspondence" <PRRcorr@ATG.WA.GOV>Add sender to Contacts
To: undisclosed-recipients

May 22, 2013
Greetings:
Thank you for your message to the Washington State Attorney General’s Office. As the Constituent Correspondence Liaison for the agency, I’ve been asked to respond.
Washington’s law recognizing concealed pistol/handgun licenses from other states is clear, unambiguous and confers no discretion on the Attorney General to ignore or waive any of its requirements. The Attorney General’s job is to enforce and defend Washington state law.
In order for Washington to recognize other states’ concealed weapons permits, Washington state law (RCW 9.41.073) dictates that the other state must:
• Recognize Washington concealed pistol licenses;
• Not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under age 21; AND
• Require a mandatory fingerprint-based background check for criminal and mental health history.
Florida amended its law in 2012 to eliminate the minimum age requirement of 21 for active service members or veterans who were honorably discharged. As a result, Florida joined the 39 other states who are not eligible for reciprocity in Washington due to Washington state law.
Concerned citizens should voice their opinions to Washington state lawmakers at 1-800-562-6000.
Kindly,
A.D. BAKER
Constituent Correspondence Liaison

Well, I underlined the "my hands are tied" part. If you want an exception/change, petition for it. I do not mind ANY troop, regardless of age, carrying a weapon. I would also support this amendment to the RCW.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
We ask that state officials follow state law as that is what we are expected to do.... I have no issue with what has happened.

However, we had Poosharker (aka greenisfaster) and we currently have EMN and one or two others that are 18-20 on the board...

Here is what is needed; about 10-20 18-20yo advocates to change our law to respect those at the age of 18 to exercise their constitutional rights. There is a great avenue for this tenet, the State v. Sieyes case....as well as Florida's change for service members.

It is my opinion that a group of 18-20 year olds need to come forward to make this happen. If there is I will help connect you with the proper state legislators and show you how to lobby for this change.

sudden valley gunner

We ask that state officials follow state law as that is what we are expected to do.... I have no issue with what has happened.

However, we had Poosharker (aka greenisfaster) and we currently have EMN and one or two others that are 18-20 on the board...

Here is what is needed; about 10-20 18-20yo advocates to change our law to respect those at the age of 18 to exercise their constitutional rights. There is a great avenue for this tenet, the State v. Sieyes case....as well as Florida's change for service members.

It is my opinion that a group of 18-20 year olds need to come forward to make this happen. If there is I will help connect you with the proper state legislators and show you how to lobby for this change.

I do have a problem with the fact they a) seem to choose what laws they enforce or dont and b) ignore the constitution (state and federal)

I feel all avenues should be chased after like your suggestion here (+1) and other avenues such as becoming a shall accept and doing away with the language that applies in other states, as long as the cpl holder is following state law while here ( over 21 at the moment).

44Brent

I am curious as to why you only see a benefit in a certain age group lobbying their representatives. What's wrong with an old guy like me contacting my representative?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am curious as to why you only see a benefit in a certain age group lobbying their representatives. What's wrong with an old guy like me contacting my representative?

Political energy. It's difficult when the issue is not yours personally to maintain the momentum and standing to push an issue. This is at minimum a 2 year process.

sudden valley gunner

Absolutely nothing, I doubt Nick would discourage any help in lobbying at all.

Political energy. It's difficult when the issue is not yours personally to maintain the momentum and standing to push an issue. This is at minimum a 2 year process.

+1

Please by all means folks fight for rights even if they are not your full time fight, those who are fighting can use all the help they get even when its not your personal issue, when we fight for the rights of others we win them for ourselves.

EMNofSeattle

I'm going to be 21 long before any law is changed (this coming september to be exact)

still I am willing to help any such cause just because I think the law should allow 18+ carry.

sirpuma

If our nation is willing to trust 18-20 year olds to carry real Assault Rifles and operate heavy weapons while on duty then the fed and state governments should trust them to carry and properly use personal firearms when they are not on duty.