• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock VS Beretta for open carry my thoughts

bozuka

Personally I don't know what all the hype is about Glocks nowadays. I've owned a Glock. I owned a Glock 19. I personally prefer my good ole Beretta I use to carry one while in the military (an M9) and just liked it ever since. Nowadays I carry the Beretta 96 because of the stopping power of the .40 S&W over the 9mm. But I still like the 9mm, to me if double tap (which I always do while practicing, since I was trained to do it in the military) theres a pretty good chance any aggressor would go down. But here are my personal thoughts on the negatives to each weapon. Please note that these are my personal negatives.

Glock - My biggest problem with the Glock was that it wasn't comfortable to me to hold. I don't know why but it just didn't feel right. Another thing about it was because it weighed so little it wasn't really balanced for me. It maybe because I'm use to the weight of the Beretta but IDK. Some could say that it was because it was a compact, but Ive held majority of Glocks and it still felt the same. For me because of the off balanced feeling of it most of my groups where extremely poor, and I'm not that bad of a shooter. The last thing I didn't like but it's probably the brainwashing of the military is that it has no safety. Now I do believe that Glocks are pretty safe but it's just a peace of mind thing to me knowing that it's not on safe. Forgot this so this is the last thing I really didn't like the feeling of the plastic of the lower part consisting of the pistol grip. It just didn't sit well with me IDK why.

Beretta - The negatives that I've heard of for the beretta was the fact that it is a pretty big gun. For me since I don't have a concealed license it's not a big deal. The Beretta isn't made to be concealed it was designed as a duty weapon (military and Law enforcement). It's one reason I open carry it. It's big and it means business. The second thing I heard about was the fact that the safety is way to high. Personally I don't have a problem with it. Maybe I just have big hands or something. The third thing was that when the pistol is in DA mode that the trigger resistance was to hard to majority of people. I look at it is if your in that kind of situation where you need to use it you'll be pulling as hard as you can so it wouldn't matter how hard it was. Another note in contrast to the Glock and I've heard this and I can attest to this is that the Beretta is extremely well fitting to your hand. Every single time I hold it or draw it just fits so correctly into my hand.

These are just my views. It my be biased though. But all in all both weapons are in my point of view extremely well made and reliable guns. They both fire true in my opinion. The Beretta the gun for me.

I conclude that its each persons preference and what they feel best with.

Just wanted to see anyones opinion and what they prefer.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The third thing was that when the pistol is in DA mode that the trigger resistance was too hard to majority of people. I look at it is if you're in that kind of situation where you need to use it you'll be pulling as hard as you can so it wouldn't matter how hard it was...

You should not rely on adrenaline, stress, or need to help your trigger pull. But this is a problem easily corrected with lots of dry-firing. Anyone carrying a DA should dry-fire it religiously until their trigger finger can pull it smoothly and quickly.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I agree. Glocks have terrible ergonomics for me.

As far as safeties go, I'll just say this: most of the people who have shot themselves holstering their firearm have done so with Glocks or similar guns (essentially single action trigger + no external safeties). If you practice flipping off the safety as you draw, an external safety is a purely advantageous feature, and one which Glocks lack. All this B.S. about "you'll forget to turn the safety off" is just that. For me, flipping off a thumb safety is so much a part of the draw that I do it (to no effect, of course) even when drawing my XD. Granted, I carry a 1911 and not a Beretta but the basic idea is the same.

Sure, plenty of people have shot themselves drawing from a Serpa with guns that have external safeties. Solution: ditch the Serpa.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Sure, plenty of people have shot themselves drawing from a Serpa with guns that have external safeties. Solution: ditch the Serpa.

Yep, the holster is to blame, not operator error, bad habit, mistake - such won't happen with a holster other than a Serpa. (tongue in cheek)

Ship them to me. I'm providing care and shelter for unwanted, neglected and abandoned Serpas.
No Serpa will be euthanized if there is anyway possible to avoid that - we have qualified practitioners to evaluate their health.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Yep, the holster is to blame, not operator error, bad habit, mistake - such won't happen with a holster other than a Serpa. (tongue in cheek)

Ship them to me. I'm providing care and shelter for unwanted, neglected and abandoned Serpas.
No Serpa will be euthanized if there is anyway possible to avoid that - we have qualified practitioners to evaluate their health.

I'm not going to rehash a debate as old as the internet.

I'd gladly mail you my Serpa, except it suffered catastrophic failure. If I can find the pieces, do you still want them?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not going to rehash a debate as old as the internet.

I'd gladly mail you my Serpa, except it suffered catastrophic failure. If I can find the pieces, do you still want them?

Pieces parts = spare parts.

Also have home for unwed pistols and revolvers :lol:

mtbinva

I want some of this Serpa action!!! I need one for my Glock 30SF (3rd gen). Any donations will be accepted. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bozuka

You should not rely on adrenaline, stress, or need to help your trigger pull. But this is a problem easily corrected with lots of dry-firing. Anyone carrying a DA should dry-fire it religiously until their trigger finger can pull it smoothly and quickly.

Honestly the trigger pull is nothing of big deal. Serious are some people children that don't have enough muscles in their trigger fingers to pull a damn trigger. The only draw back I see is competetive shooting where everything is precise and having two different trigger pulls for one pistol will throw off your shots.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I want some of this Serpa action!!! I need one for my Glock 30SF (3rd gen). Any donations will be accepted. :)
You can find them to the east, west & south, but never go north. You know what lives there and they aren't my brothers :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I prefer the Glock over the Beretta 92 or Taurus 92 series. I do have a Taurus 92AF which I enjoy, but it is not a member of my carry stable. I like the fact that the Glock's important safeties are internal and work beautifully. I do not like external safeties on my carry guns. All of my carry Glocks have received trigger mods from me and fit my wants and needs just fine.

Once again, this is a personal matter and that is exactly how it should remain. If the OP prefers carrying a Beretta 92, by all means that is what he should carry. Every individual has certain wants, needs, and requirements in this area which is why we have so many different handguns from which to choose. This is a good thing. Those who wish to argue about DA vs DAO or 1911 in C1 or external safeties vs no external safeties vs whatever only show their bias and their unwillingness to try different things. We all have preferences and we all can pretty much give enumerated reasons for them. I know I do. But I try my darnedest not to be a "gun snob" with cast in stone biases when it comes to firearms.

So OP, stay with your Beretta. You have given your reasons, not that you need to justify anything to anyone... certainly not here. What you choose to carry is entirely up to you.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Those who wish to argue about DA vs DAO or 1911 in C1 or external safeties vs no external safeties vs whatever only show their bias and their unwillingness to try different things.

So you imagine.

I've open carried my XD on several occasions. I concluded, however, that it's better to pick one and maximize one's proficiency there.

That I concluded an external safety is a good thing, and is no impediment (especially when one picks a platform and sticks to it) doesn't reasonably suggest that I was unwilling to try different things, or indeed that I have not tried different things.

The reason I argue it beyond pure personal preference is that I've concluded, looking at all gun owners and all self-defense scenarios, that a well-trained and well-practiced individual is more likely to shoot himself holstering his Glock (or similar gun) than he is to fail to disengage an external safety upon drawing. I think the evidence supports a conclusion in this regard reaching beyond mere personal preference.

You're free to come to a different conclusion.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

My thoughts are... The best carry gun is the one you are comfortable carrying.

I don't like the Beretta 92 series, the grips are rather big for my small hands. Now a few years ago the Washington State Patrol carried the 92 compact M which is the same action around an 8 shot single stack magazine. My dad bought one surplus after the troopers switched to the USP (they now carry the M&P .40)

That beretta I liked. But the full size doesn't feel right to Me. The glock 19 is a much better fit to my hand but this is only personal preference. The beretta is a quality gun, so carry one if you like it.... Unless you're in a military or police outfit there is no need for you to use the same gun as everyone else. So choose what fits you

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was a dedicated and IMHO a well trained revolver/wheel gun man for more years than many here have lived. Only owned one semi-auto which was given me by a personal friend with the admonition that I keep it, everybody needs at least one. I did, but rarely shot it.

Almost forgot, I have one of the requisite .25 ACP's on a shelf, but that doesn't count - never have carried it.

One day after much badgering from another very close friend I picked up, examined and held a certain specific model, full size 1911. I was smitten, enthralled, captured by a condition that can only be compared to as having found my soul mate. I left the shop with my new companion in my arms (pun intended).

After I took her home, totally bench stripped her, examined and lubed all pieces parts, I feed her several hundred rounds of ammo w/o a single burp. Over the next few months she devoured several thousand rounds with the same results. Amongst other attributes, the grip angle was perfect for me and the accuracy was phenomenal. The most obvious training issue was mastering snicking the safety off. Many, many presentations (drawing from holster) repeated endlessly instilled good muscle memory.

Eventually bought a commander size, Performance Shop version of another manufacturer which has become my daily carry for several years now - it's like having two best girl friends with benefits
:)

My wheel guns? One is my BUG. The original primary revolver occasionally goes for a ride down memory lane with me. Funny thing is that I don't seem to have to conscientiously think about the difference in handling except for flipping the non-existent safety off.

So what do I recommend for others?

Ans: whatever works for them, whatever they like - even a Glock, there is no accounting for taste
:lol:

Last edited:

bozuka

I prefer the Glock over the Beretta 92 or Taurus 92 series. I do have a Taurus 92AF which I enjoy, but it is not a member of my carry stable. I like the fact that the Glock's important safeties are internal and work beautifully. I do not like external safeties on my carry guns. All of my carry Glocks have received trigger mods from me and fit my wants and needs just fine.

Once again, this is a personal matter and that is exactly how it should remain. If the OP prefers carrying a Beretta 92, by all means that is what he should carry. Every individual has certain wants, needs, and requirements in this area which is why we have so many different handguns from which to choose. This is a good thing. Those who wish to argue about DA vs DAO or 1911 in C1 or external safeties vs no external safeties vs whatever only show their bias and their unwillingness to try different things. We all have preferences and we all can pretty much give enumerated reasons for them. I know I do. But I try my darnedest not to be a "gun snob" with cast in stone biases when it comes to firearms.

So OP, stay with your Beretta. You have given your reasons, not that you need to justify anything to anyone... certainly not here. What you choose to carry is entirely up to you.

Thanks man. To each his own. I was just kind of getting tired of everyone telling me that the Glock was better and that I should get one. Then they have the audacity to tell me the flaws with my weapon. I keep having to tell them that I've had a Glock and it wasn't for me, it maybe for them but not for me. Plus to me flaws are only what the OP considers flaws cause they are the ones going to use it. But I trully believe carry what fits you best.

Sorcice

After carrying my beretta px4 storm for years and finally getting my sig 229 I gotta say not having an external safety is quite nice(with a Serpa). I know my sidearm is always ready to go and draw indexed as the Serpa was designed. No issues. Recently bought a glock 26 and love that too. Awesome conceal gun and stays put with a remora holster in even sweatpants its so light. My brother has a beretta m9a1 and its a really accurate gun but I still prefer my sig.

SouthernBoy

Thanks man. To each his own. I was just kind of getting tired of everyone telling me that the Glock was better and that I should get one. Then they have the audacity to tell me the flaws with my weapon. I keep having to tell them that I've had a Glock and it wasn't for me, it maybe for them but not for me. Plus to me flaws are only what the OP considers flaws cause they are the ones going to use it. But I trully believe carry what fits you best.

I like your attitude. Certainly beats some I've encounter around here.

SouthernBoy

So you imagine.

I've open carried my XD on several occasions. I concluded, however, that it's better to pick one and maximize one's proficiency there.

That I concluded an external safety is a good thing, and is no impediment (especially when one picks a platform and sticks to it) doesn't reasonably suggest that I was unwilling to try different things, or indeed that I have not tried different things.

The reason I argue it beyond pure personal preference is that I've concluded, looking at all gun owners and all self-defense scenarios, that a well-trained and well-practiced individual is more likely to shoot himself holstering his Glock (or similar gun) than he is to fail to disengage an external safety upon drawing. I think the evidence supports a conclusion in this regard reaching beyond mere personal preference.

You're free to come to a different conclusion.

"So you imagine."
I don't imagine it at all. I know it to be fact... as far as I'm concerned for me. And that's all that matters.

"That I concluded an external safety is a good thing, and is no impediment (especially when one picks a platform and sticks to it) doesn't reasonably suggest that I was unwilling to try different things, or indeed that I have not tried different things."
I suspect that what you meant to say is you concluded for you, and that's a good thing. If it works for you, then that is all that matters for you. Nothing wrong with that.

"...looking at all gun owners and all self-defense scenarios..."
Not humanly possible.

I will reiterate that what someone chooses to carry is: 1) Their choice and theirs only, 2) Is not up for discussion or debate unless the subject individual allows it, 2) Is frankly, no one's business. I have seen and heard of all sorts of gear carried in one's defense and while many of those instances would not be something I would entertain, I am certainly not going to question someone's choice unless invited to do so. I'm sure what I carry would be questioned by some, but they're not me so they don't matter. To each his own.

compmanio365

Well I'd say neither and go with my 1911 but that's just me causing trouble. :banana:

Glock feels horrible in my hand and I don't think they are safe pistols at all. I just saw one at the range Sunday jammed so bad it couldn't fire, couldn't rack the slide, couldn't break it down, nothing. They do jam and fail like any other gun, but this was the first time I've seen that.

Beretta I like the feel of, the weight, etc....but every Beretta pistol from .22 on up has been a jam-o-matic. I struggled to get through a magazine in the .22 Jetfire I had, same with the 92 I shot at the range, 2 different ones at different times from different owners.....YMMV, but I'll pass on a brand that has been an absolute stinker for me from the get go.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Glock. And be extra careful with it until I could trade it in for something else.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"So you imagine."
I don't imagine it at all. I know it to be fact... as far as I'm concerned for me. And that's all that matters.

"That I concluded an external safety is a good thing, and is no impediment (especially when one picks a platform and sticks to it) doesn't reasonably suggest that I was unwilling to try different things, or indeed that I have not tried different things."
I suspect that what you meant to say is you concluded for you, and that's a good thing. If it works for you, then that is all that matters for you. Nothing wrong with that.

"...looking at all gun owners and all self-defense scenarios..."
Not humanly possible.

I will reiterate that what someone chooses to carry is: 1) Their choice and theirs only, 2) Is not up for discussion or debate unless the subject individual allows it, 2) Is frankly, no one's business. I have seen and heard of all sorts of gear carried in one's defense and while many of those instances would not be something I would entertain, I am certainly not going to question someone's choice unless invited to do so. I'm sure what I carry would be questioned by some, but they're not me so they don't matter. To each his own.

I mean, you directly said that folks who argue the things I argue don't try out other alternatives. And I said, "so you imagine". Why? Because I have tried other alternatives.

As for "concluded for me", you're not correcting me. Go back and read the part where I said "feel free to conclude differently." I never even remotely implied that you must or should share my conclusions.

It's merely not reasonable to tell me I don't try different things, when you don't know. That was the whole point of the post; I have tried alternatives.

Last edited: