• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock VS Beretta for open carry my thoughts

EMNofSeattle

The only time you should question someone's carry choice is if they're carrying a Bryco in the waistband of their gym shorts.... Then be a friend because friends don't let friends carry zinc micro pistols

g21sfpistol

Banned
personally i cant stand the beretta. and when i bought my first glock i didnt like the grip either. but i got use to it a researched the designs of pistols and understood why they did what they did. it gives you a nice high tang grip and naturally pushes your hand into the pistol to help with recoil. but if you are good with a beretta then stick with it. i also like my 1911s but im just way better with my glock.

WalkingWolf

I agree. Glocks have terrible ergonomics for me.

As far as safeties go, I'll just say this: most of the people who have shot themselves holstering their firearm have done so with Glocks or similar guns (essentially single action trigger + no external safeties). If you practice flipping off the safety as you draw, an external safety is a purely advantageous feature, and one which Glocks lack. All this B.S. about "you'll forget to turn the safety off" is just that. For me, flipping off a thumb safety is so much a part of the draw that I do it (to no effect, of course) even when drawing my XD. Granted, I carry a 1911 and not a Beretta but the basic idea is the same.

Sure, plenty of people have shot themselves drawing from a Serpa with guns that have external safeties. Solution: ditch the Serpa.
The problem is not the Serpa, but the people, the holster does not take the safety off or pull the trigger. Though I have heard that sneaky leather holsters pull triggers when nobody is looking. (sarcasm)

Forgot to add, I do not own a glock, don't intend on buying one, but I hear they are fine guns. So I will compromise, anybody that is dissatisfied with their glock they can send it to me and for a fee sent with it I will dispose of it properly. I will accept ammo as a disposal fee BTW.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Glock, Beretta doesn't matter to me I been know to carry 3 or 4 different styles calibers and actions on a given day. take yesterday I started out with my Glock 23, went for a run with my TI 41 revolver, then grabbed my 22 buck mark to shoot a couple of small varmints then back to my Glock to finish the day.

There are days I might add a 44 or 357 mag to the mix depending on what I am doing. it would be a real shame if I was stuck with just one gun. It would be real boring also.

Going shopping, out to cut some wood, just walking around the woods, stopping by some friends, going to church all might require a different gun, caliber

It is very nice to live in a country yet that allows us so many fine choices.

glock22oc

I perfer the Glock. I open carry a Glock 22 in a Serpa holster. No problems with the holster or gun, but it is whatever suits each person best.

tattedupboy

I've never held or shot a Beretta, so I can't speak on whether or not I like them. I owned a Glock and I enjoyed it, although the trigger pull left a lot to be desired.

As for Sherpa holsters, he design of them isn't what causes negligent discharges. Poor technique when drawing is what causes the negligent discharges.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phoenix David

Nowadays I carry the Beretta 96 because of the stopping power of the .40 S&W over the 9mm.

Stopping power is a made up phrase that can mean anything you want it to, did they stop cause they were dead? Did they stop because it was to loud? You can make up any criteria for stopping power, so it means nothing. Kind of like Assault Rifle

But I still like the 9mm, to me if double tap (which I always do while practicing, since I was trained to do it in the military) theres a pretty good chance any aggressor would go down.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security in the double tap, practice other numbers too.

...Glock... is that it has no safety.

Glock's have 3 safeties, just no external safeties

... Another note in contrast to the Glock and I've heard this and I can attest to this is that the Beretta is extremely well fitting to your hand. Every single time I hold it or draw it just fits so correctly into my hand.

And that's what matters is that it fits you, each person is different, Beretta just feels and fits better in your hand, that doesn't make it a better or worse platform, it just fits you better. It's like you can fit in a 34" pants but 36" feels a lot better.

FreeInAZ

I think they are both very good pistols. Just depends on what you want, even then they are comparible, need hi-cap mags, both have them, need a carbine that takes their mags, both have them. So it really comes down to what you "like" in one over the other. I lean towards glocks, but I have shot beretta's and liked them too. Smith & Wesson did a fine job combining the best of these two - it's called the M&P :D

glock22oc

Carry what is most comfortable for you. If someone isn't comfortable with their carry weapon, it may not get carried and get left at home. Carry on.

SFCRetired

I know a lot of folks swear by the Glocks, but I'm hearing a lot of stories concerning their reliability. The latest, and I don't remember where I read it, concerns problems with the firing pins.

Has anyone else heard these stories? How true/accurate are they?

I do know that the Berettas, early on, had some problems with fatigue cracks on high-usage weapons. Beretta worked with the users to correct that particular problem. I've not heard of any others.

WalkingWolf

If members would like to donate weapons, and ammo I would be happy to do testing for you guys. Ohhhh and a few gift certificates for IHOP would keep my energy up during testing.

joanie

I have never shot or owned a Glock or Beretta. From what I've seen of them, I'd have to choose Beretta. Only because I'm kinda big on looks, and at the risk of not making very many friends saying this, Glocks are ugly. They should be called blocks because thats what they look like, or bricks. I'm not a big fan of a 9mm, or autos, I'm a revolver gal. But I'd consider getting a Beretta 92f on it's looks alone, and the 15 shot capicity would be a plus as well.

ron73440

The issued Beretta M9's we shoot are decent, but ours have been abused and I'm not a 9mm fan.

I love the balance and grip on my steel Baby Eagle .45 better than anything else I've shot to this point.

(I know noone asked about Baby Eagles, wanted to mention them as a totally under appreciated firearm.)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If members would like to donate weapons, and ammo I would be happy to do testing for you guys. Ohhhh and a few gift certificates for IHOP would keep my energy up during testing.

Best to go sit on your front porch and wait so you won't miss the UPS delivery.

OTOH - I only carry/use equipment that has never had the slightest hint of ever having had a problem or a malfunction - zero tolerence - like a 1911 and Serpa. They are perfection. :lol: :lol:

ron73440

I'll get right on it, soon as I win the lottery that I don't play.

You might be in luck, an exiled Ethiopian prince wants my help to recoup $10 million.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I mean, you directly said that folks who argue the things I argue don't try out other alternatives. And I said, "so you imagine". Why? Because I have tried other alternatives.

As for "concluded for me", you're not correcting me. Go back and read the part where I said "feel free to conclude differently." I never even remotely implied that you must or should share my conclusions.

It's merely not reasonable to tell me I don't try different things, when you don't know. That was the whole point of the post; I have tried alternatives.

My original post was not directed to any one person, but rather as a general post. I celebrate both what and how people carry and only tend to offer opinions when asked. This thread is about preferences between the Glock and the Beretta and while the OP didn't specifically ask for opinions, his post inferred a dialogue on the topic.

There are some guns I don't care for and some I won't carry for reasons I deem appropriate for me. For example, I don't particularly like the Springfield XD series. I freely admit that it appears to be a fine pistol and certainly worthy of carry use. But for me, the grip is not at the right angle and the bore axis is too high. I do have one in .40S&W so I am familiar with the gun.

As for a pistol I wouldn't carry unless I had to, and I know I'm going to get some flak with this one, I am not a fan of the 1911 for carry use. I have two of them and they are fine guns, but carrying? Not for me. I also wouldn't carry a Beretta or Taurus 92 series.

All of this falls under personal preferences and therefore, all of it is good, and as I mentioned, I celebrate not only how people carry but what they carry as well.

We're good to go on this, I'm sure.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I have never shot or owned a Glock or Beretta. From what I've seen of them, I'd have to choose Beretta. Only because I'm kinda big on looks, and at the risk of not making very many friends saying this, Glocks are ugly. They should be called blocks because thats what they look like, or bricks. I'm not a big fan of a 9mm, or autos, I'm a revolver gal. But I'd consider getting a Beretta 92f on it's looks alone, and the 15 shot capicity would be a plus as well.

glocks are ugly. i carry one everyday. but looks of a gun isnt going to save your life.

joanie

glocks are ugly. i carry one everyday. but looks of a gun isnt going to save your life.

lol, I'd rather die looking good, than live looking bad. Thats just my sad attempt at humor but there is some truth to it. To be honest, I doubt a gun of any kind will ever save my life. The only real serious threats to me are police, sheriffs, and similar. So using any such device for protection against those kind of threats would have the oppisite effect of saving my life.