• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun rights march in Lynchburg

Snazuolu

i read in the News and Advance today that there was a very small march by gun control advocates and while it seemed like nothing much, it got me to thinking that there are a few members from the Lynchburg area on here and i wondered how hard it would be to rally a gun rights march around here. if anyone is interested, let me know.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Never mind - it's over.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/collection_7ddea508-bb51-11e2-bbeb-001a4bcf6878.html

March for gun control
About 15 people with signs supporting stricter gun control legislation walked along Rivermont Avenue Sunday. Participants represented Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and Organizing for Action, both national organizations. According to the group's website, Moms Demand Action held dozens of walks in cities across the country during Mother's Day weekend, promoting their cause and honoring victims of gun violence. "We don't want to infringe on anyone's second amendment rights or do away with guns," said walker Phil Stump. "We want to make sure guns are used responsibly and don't fall into the hands of criminals."

15 people! Why, that's about the size of the protest at the NRA Convention!

Does anybody else see the presence of OFA (is it pronounced Oh-FAY?) as being a bit suspicious? We have been told that Obama and Bloomberg will not give up on background checks, "assault weapons" bans, and bans of normal-capacity magazines, notwithstanding the trouncing they took recently. Some folks think that's just tinfoil chatter, but the marriage of these two groups does make the ol' spider sense tingle.

Someone with a strong stomach really ought to monitor these groups and pass the word on when they are gathering so that an opposing voice can be presented in a polite, dignified manner.

stay safe.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I guess I'd wonder what exactly would be the purpose of a gun rights march in Lynchburg. We have the largest Christian university in the US that allows many of its students and most of its guests to carry firearms for their protection and they openly advertise it as policy, the vast majority of places in Lynchburg are carry friendly (to the point where it's far easier to list the very few that are not), we have people every day OCing and if you're out and about you run into them regularly, we have many who carry concealed as well who are also nearly everywhere we go and people are aware of it.

We have OCers all over as is, and those that we have are often happy to spread the good news of OCing to those who ask. If we are reduced to the point where we have to march to get the news out that there are people who carry guns and support the right of free people to behave like free people in Lynchburg, something is seriously amiss.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
I walked along Rivermont on Sunday and didn't see any groups. It's a long road though, so who knows for sure. I didn't see anyone protesting, or I might have walked along with them. I should post in the regular forum that I spoke with a number of pro2A people and didn't hear (or see any sneers) from the anti-2A crowd. As jmelvin says Lynchburg is mostly a freedom loving town.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Lynchburg is about 90 minutes from me, but if there is another event let me know. I'd be happy to drive down and help present a counterpoint.

Welcome Lyndsy. How about considering one of our OC lunches or dinners we have on occasion? We'd love to meet some new folks!

( *Note to self set up a OC lunch or dinner. :) )