Thread: Michigan gun laws may be screwed up but it could be a whole lot worse.

Michigan gun laws may be screwed up but it could be a whole lot worse.

Be thankful for the rights we do have here in MI. I am currently visiting Hawaii with the wife on our anniversary. Alot of us around here complain about how messed up some of the MI gun laws are. I guess I am guilty to a certain extent of taking for granted the rights we have here.

Let me tell you MI is a paradise compared to the Draconian laws here in HI. 3 trips to the sherrifs office with waits in excess of 7 hours per trip just to putchase a firearm. (1. apply,2. pick up permimssion slip, 3. bring back firearm for registration). Any firearm brought into the state must be registered AND approved by the local sherrif with 72 hours of arrival in the state.

Then after you get it, you can't carry it, no OC and you need to get permission from each sherrif of each county of each island for a CPL, I believe 1 permit has been issued in the last 20+ years for the whole state. From what I've been told it's easier to get a CPL in NY or Chicago.

Unloaded and encased transportation is illegal, unless you are going DIRECTLY from your house to the range and back.

Having had several conversations with people here, they all have the "Deer in the headlights" look when I tell them I carry a firearm back home on a daily basis. "Really?", "Why?" and "No way?" have been a common response from the residents.

They have 2 ranges here on Oahu that caters to tourists (mostly Japanese) and locals that can afford it, 100 rounds downrange for $300.

No suppressors, no class 3, no mags over 10 rounds (pistols or rifles) reguardless of ATF certifications.

Just wanted to let everyone know how good we have it, not perfect by any means, but it could be a WHOLE lot worse. Stand up and protect your rights lest we wind up like to Naziesk state of HI.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

When did our rights become treated like privileges ? We need to take our country back.

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    When did our rights become treated like privileges ? We need to take our country back.
    When a majority of the populace became submissive sheep, rolled over on their backs and allowed it to happen.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    When did our rights become treated like privileges ?
    Thursday, March 5th 1789.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Well it's time we take them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Thursday, March 5th 1789.

Bronson
    Pretty much.

Banned
    I wrote the president a stern letter .... waiting by my mailbox ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I wrote the president a stern letter .... waiting by my mailbox ....
    I wrote that POS a letter informing him his services were no longer required or desired and for him to clean out his desk immediately and seek employment in a field other than public service 4 years ago...

I guess turds can't read emails.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 05-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Re: Michigan gun laws may be screwed up but it could be a whole lot worse.

Well sadly, until we get a party that cannot be bought off, or viable 3rd party candidate, I am pretty sure we will keep getting the same old "left overs" served up to us time & time again. I am all for a law that forces lawmakers to wear patches on their clothes of their top 25 contrubtors. That way we atleast know who they are really working for. Might look like a nascar meet, but who cares?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well sadly, until we get a party that cannot be bought off, or viable 3rd party candidate, I am pretty sure we will keep getting the same old "left overs" served up to us time & time again. I am all for a law that forces lawmakers to wear patches on their clothes of their top 25 contrubtors. That way we atleast know who they are really working for. Might look like a nascar meet, but who cares?
    That, combined with quarterly sessions with polygraphers answering the toughest of questions, televised on cspan, would change some things.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i don't support a federally regulated or imposed concealed carry license, but can you imagine the freedom it would give some of these poor states?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Hawaii does not ban normal capacity magazines for rifles, it's for magazines that can be used in a pistol. While this is shaky for .223, it's not for 6.8 or .308

Hawaii does not have county sheriff's. They have a statewide sheriff agency that deals with the court. Out of the 5 Counties in the state, 4 of them have police chiefs and they issue the license (they do issue open carry licenses for employment reasons) but they do not issue concealed carry licenses. The last known concealed license was issued in Kaua'i about 7 years ago.

As bad as Hawaii's gun laws are, they are a lot easier to swallow when living in such a beautiful place. As bad as their gun laws are, keep in mind that Michigan is way more dangerous than Hawaii.

Their gun laws may get a little better over time as their is a growing gun culture there (something that was not even present even when the state was a territory).

The shooting ranges the OP was referring to are the overpriced shooting galleries in Waikiki. No resident ever pays to shoot at those places. Hawaii does have public ranges that gun owners use.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    When a majority of the populace became submissive sheep, rolled over on their backs and allowed it to happen.
    Not True! It's when "The People" quit paying attention to what the people they voted for were doing, when they disappeared in Lansing, and assumed, once they voted, that what they wanted would be done! NOT! This I found in the 80's when 9 of 10 folks I asked didn't know who their elected Rep was, even though they voted! I've been trying to educate ever since!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!