• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan gun laws may be screwed up but it could be a whole lot worse.

Hevymetal

Be thankful for the rights we do have here in MI. I am currently visiting Hawaii with the wife on our anniversary. Alot of us around here complain about how messed up some of the MI gun laws are. I guess I am guilty to a certain extent of taking for granted the rights we have here.

Let me tell you MI is a paradise compared to the Draconian laws here in HI. 3 trips to the sherrifs office with waits in excess of 7 hours per trip just to putchase a firearm. (1. apply,2. pick up permimssion slip, 3. bring back firearm for registration). Any firearm brought into the state must be registered AND approved by the local sherrif with 72 hours of arrival in the state.

Then after you get it, you can't carry it, no OC and you need to get permission from each sherrif of each county of each island for a CPL, I believe 1 permit has been issued in the last 20+ years for the whole state. From what I've been told it's easier to get a CPL in NY or Chicago.

Unloaded and encased transportation is illegal, unless you are going DIRECTLY from your house to the range and back.

Having had several conversations with people here, they all have the "Deer in the headlights" look when I tell them I carry a firearm back home on a daily basis. "Really?", "Why?" and "No way?" have been a common response from the residents.

They have 2 ranges here on Oahu that caters to tourists (mostly Japanese) and locals that can afford it, 100 rounds downrange for $300.

No suppressors, no class 3, no mags over 10 rounds (pistols or rifles) reguardless of ATF certifications.

Just wanted to let everyone know how good we have it, not perfect by any means, but it could be a WHOLE lot worse. Stand up and protect your rights lest we wind up like to Naziesk state of HI.

B

Bikenut

I wrote the president a stern letter .... waiting by my mailbox ....
I wrote that POS a letter informing him his services were no longer required or desired and for him to clean out his desk immediately and seek employment in a field other than public service 4 years ago...

I guess turds can't read emails.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeInAZ

Well sadly, until we get a party that cannot be bought off, or viable 3rd party candidate, I am pretty sure we will keep getting the same old "left overs" served up to us time & time again. I am all for a law that forces lawmakers to wear patches on their clothes of their top 25 contrubtors. That way we atleast know who they are really working for. Might look like a nascar meet, but who cares? ;)

Last edited:

Michigander

Well sadly, until we get a party that cannot be bought off, or viable 3rd party candidate, I am pretty sure we will keep getting the same old "left overs" served up to us time & time again. I am all for a law that forces lawmakers to wear patches on their clothes of their top 25 contrubtors. That way we atleast know who they are really working for. Might look like a nascar meet, but who cares? ;)

That, combined with quarterly sessions with polygraphers answering the toughest of questions, televised on cspan, would change some things.

Jared

Hawaii does not ban normal capacity magazines for rifles, it's for magazines that can be used in a pistol. While this is shaky for .223, it's not for 6.8 or .308

Hawaii does not have county sheriff's. They have a statewide sheriff agency that deals with the court. Out of the 5 Counties in the state, 4 of them have police chiefs and they issue the license (they do issue open carry licenses for employment reasons) but they do not issue concealed carry licenses. The last known concealed license was issued in Kaua'i about 7 years ago.

As bad as Hawaii's gun laws are, they are a lot easier to swallow when living in such a beautiful place. As bad as their gun laws are, keep in mind that Michigan is way more dangerous than Hawaii.

Their gun laws may get a little better over time as their is a growing gun culture there (something that was not even present even when the state was a territory).

The shooting ranges the OP was referring to are the overpriced shooting galleries in Waikiki. No resident ever pays to shoot at those places. Hawaii does have public ranges that gun owners use.

Haman J.T.

When a majority of the populace became submissive sheep, rolled over on their backs and allowed it to happen.
Not True! It's when "The People" quit paying attention to what the people they voted for were doing, when they disappeared in Lansing, and assumed, once they voted, that what they wanted would be done! NOT! This I found in the 80's when 9 of 10 folks I asked didn't know who their elected Rep was, even though they voted! I've been trying to educate ever since!