Thread: Legal Protection for Firearms owners, opinions wanted

Legal Protection for Firearms owners, opinions wanted

Okay, after a very expensive legal battle resulting from protecting myself and my children at our home I am looking for some protection for the legal side of things. There is no way I can afford the thousands of dollars to hire another lawyer or spend over a year fighting. I've been looking at several prepaid legal services specific to the legal use of firearms and would really like some opinions if anyone out there has used any of the companies out there.

Here are some of the prepaid Legal sites/ companies for firearms' owners I have been looking over.

Patriot Legal Protection LLC
    https://patriotlegalprotection.com/

Texas Law Shield
    http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/

CHL Protection Plan
    http://www.chlpp.com/

NRA Stand Your Ground
    http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm

USCCA Self Defense Shield
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/mem...stomer_service

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home

So does anyone have any opinions or heard any stories on any of these companies?
    I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully. - Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKennedy View Post
    So does anyone have any opinions or heard any stories on any of these companies?
    If one follows the money down the slippery slope, do we not find gun grabbers such as Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY, D) and her gun owners' mandatory liability insurance bill? Gun control from the progressive left or progressive insurance businesses is merely control.

Try it this way, would a cop be so eager to shoot if he had to bear the liability personally, rather than his government immunity insurance protecting him?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-13-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    The NRA would not assist you in the type of case you describe...and you'll get what you pay for ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If one follows the money down the slippery slope, do we not find gun grabbers such as Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY, D) and her gun owners' mandatory liability insurance bill? Gun control from the progressive left or progressive insurance businesses is merely control.

Try it this way, would a cop be so eager to shoot if he had to bear the liability personally, rather than his government immunity insurance protecting him?
    I wish we still lived in a world where people spoke the truth. A world were the cops didn't side with strange men who open admit they were trying to intimidate you and forcing their way into your house. The sad truth is that we don't. I am not willing to leave my children unprotected, so there is car insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance, and now liability insurance in case I need to draw my firearm against a violent stranger again.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The NRA would not assist you in the type of case you describe...and you'll get what you pay for ...
    I realize that the NRA would not help me with the past situation. I ask, I begged, and I made sure I followed the laws...it didn't matter. Now I'm trying to make sure I don't end up in a similar situation ever again.

So does anyone have any actual opinions on the quality of the companies I listed, or maybe some experience with them?
    I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully. - Gandhi

Instead of sending a third party a premium, apply that money to a bank account for just such a situation.

Now, if you are worried about tomorrow, literally tomorrow, where this liability insurance will be needed, then there are other issues that need to be addressed to mitigate the need of liability insurance. Do you think, do you really think, you will need liability insurance in the foreseeable future?

I have driven for nearly 40 years and have been paying for auto insurance that I have not had a need to use.....knock on wood. $50K could have been put to a better use. And that $50k investment would be considerably larger than $50k today.

As there is defensive driving, though accidents do happen, there is also risk assessment and adjustments that can be made to mitigate risk.

Do you believe that liability insurance will address your concern.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    There is no insurance with will result in the insurance company paying for legal fees for a criminal trial to my knowledge.

I have no idea what the OP's situation is .. short on facts, long on conclusions.

Sounds like he had an issue that is no longer present and is looking for insurance for future possible legal issues.

I am concluding that MamaKennedy is not a he, but a she. Though, I have no facts to confirm this conclusion.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I am concluding that MamaKennedy is not a he, but a she. Though, I have no facts to confirm this conclusion.
    Your powers of deduction are amazing! What gave me away? :-)

The situational details regarding my defensive use of firearm are not pertinent to the question asked. I will however write it up and post it soon. I have learned that Justice is not fair, and is not what some LEOs/Prosecutors seek after. Justice goes to those with the political clout and the money....every once in a while there is an exception to that rule.

It would take me 4-5 years to save up the money needed to secure a lawyer again. Every penny I had went to pay the lawyer...
    I do not intend to put myself in a situation where I might need my firearm, where I might be harassed by a LEO, nor do I involve myself with questionable people. Even though I live a clean quiet life I will not stand by and allow someone to hurt my children, my husband, or I. Since I can't exactly ask people intent on violence to please leave my family and I alone for a few years I am looking at insurance of some sort.

The situational details regarding my defensive use of firearm are not pertinent to the question asked. I will however write it up and post it soon. I have learned that Justice is not fair, and is not what some LEOs/Prosecutors seek after. Justice goes to those with the political clout and the money....every once in a while there is an exception to that rule.

It would take me 4-5 years to save up the money needed to secure a lawyer again. Every penny I had went to pay the lawyer...
    I do not intend to put myself in a situation where I might need my firearm, where I might be harassed by a LEO, nor do I involve myself with questionable people. Even though I live a clean quiet life I will not stand by and allow someone to hurt my children, my husband, or I. Since I can't exactly ask people intent on violence to please leave my family and I alone for a few years I am looking at insurance of some sort.
    Time are tough in deed. My only suggestion at this point is that you contact the organizations you listed in your OP and make a informed choice just as you would as a consumer of any other service. Not much help I know.

Good luck. Please consider posting the results of your efforts to secure prepaid legal services. I will be very interested in your findings and commentary.

Here http://www.chlpp.com/docs/compare.pdf is how one company compares themself to other plans/programs.

I'd not only check them out through the Better Business Bureau but through the business licensing and business regulatory agencies in the state they are headquartered in. If everything comes back clean I'd ask them for the names of at least three (3) people that filed claims against their policy and court case ID information.

If it sounds too good to be true you need to go back and read the small print.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Here http://www.chlpp.com/docs/compare.pdf is how one company compares themself to other plans/programs.

I'd not only check them out through the Better Business Bureau but through the business licensing and business regulatory agencies in the state they are headquartered in. If everything comes back clean I'd ask them for the names of at least three (3) people that filed claims against their policy and court case ID information.

If it sounds too good to be true you need to go back and read the small print.

stay safe.
    ... prices seem pretty steep though ... I think all of them requires either a dismissal or not guilty verdict and none cover appeals that I see...
    You lose your case - you gotta pay $$ back & the rates? Who knows..

worthwhile? up to the eye of the beholder I guess

I myself do not see value in these plans

CCW Insurance

I have CCW insurance through USCCA, their Defense Shield Insurance. And yes there are limitations, such as pay after acquittal and such, but the cost is worth it. I did check various other plans and decided on USCCA after asking and receiving member experiences from members themselves. In addition I checked for complaints, BBB, and on-line discussions. I pay $20 a month for a total use amount of over $500,000 policy. I plan on obtaining an additional second policy through another company, haven't decided who yet. If I send $30, $40 a month for both policies it is nothing compared to the savings in the long run. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps you.

Bob Moreno

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyflyrr View Post
    I have CCW insurance through USCCA, their Defense Shield Insurance. And yes there are limitations, such as pay after acquittal and such, but the cost is worth it. I did check various other plans and decided on USCCA after asking and receiving member experiences from members themselves. In addition I checked for complaints, BBB, and on-line discussions. I pay $20 a month for a total use amount of over $500,000 policy. I plan on obtaining an additional second policy through another company, haven't decided who yet. If I send $30, $40 a month for both policies it is nothing compared to the savings in the long run. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps you.

Bob Moreno
    Though this thread has been dead for 2 years, nothing substantial has changed. You're still subject to have to put out substantial sums of money - the appeal process can be a financial roadblock.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.