• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Protection for Firearms owners, opinions wanted

MamaKennedy

Okay, after a very expensive legal battle resulting from protecting myself and my children at our home I am looking for some protection for the legal side of things. There is no way I can afford the thousands of dollars to hire another lawyer or spend over a year fighting. I've been looking at several prepaid legal services specific to the legal use of firearms and would really like some opinions if anyone out there has used any of the companies out there.

Here are some of the prepaid Legal sites/ companies for firearms' owners I have been looking over.

Patriot Legal Protection LLC
https://patriotlegalprotection.com/

Texas Law Shield
http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/

CHL Protection Plan
http://www.chlpp.com/

NRA Stand Your Ground
http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm

USCCA Self Defense Shield
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/#customer_service

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home

So does anyone have any opinions or heard any stories on any of these companies?

MamaKennedy

If one follows the money down the slippery slope, do we not find gun grabbers such as Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY, D) and her gun owners' mandatory liability insurance bill? Gun control from the progressive left or progressive insurance businesses is merely control.

Try it this way, would a cop be so eager to shoot if he had to bear the liability personally, rather than his government immunity insurance protecting him?

I wish we still lived in a world where people spoke the truth. A world were the cops didn't side with strange men who open admit they were trying to intimidate you and forcing their way into your house. The sad truth is that we don't. I am not willing to leave my children unprotected, so there is car insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance, and now liability insurance in case I need to draw my firearm against a violent stranger again.

The NRA would not assist you in the type of case you describe...and you'll get what you pay for ...

I realize that the NRA would not help me with the past situation. I ask, I begged, and I made sure I followed the laws...it didn't matter. Now I'm trying to make sure I don't end up in a similar situation ever again.

So does anyone have any actual opinions on the quality of the companies I listed, or maybe some experience with them?

OC for ME

Instead of sending a third party a premium, apply that money to a bank account for just such a situation.

Now, if you are worried about tomorrow, literally tomorrow, where this liability insurance will be needed, then there are other issues that need to be addressed to mitigate the need of liability insurance. Do you think, do you really think, you will need liability insurance in the foreseeable future?

I have driven for nearly 40 years and have been paying for auto insurance that I have not had a need to use.....knock on wood. $50K could have been put to a better use. And that $50k investment would be considerably larger than $50k today.

As there is defensive driving, though accidents do happen, there is also risk assessment and adjustments that can be made to mitigate risk.

Do you believe that liability insurance will address your concern.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is no insurance with will result in the insurance company paying for legal fees for a criminal trial to my knowledge.

I have no idea what the OP's situation is .. short on facts, long on conclusions.

Sounds like he had an issue that is no longer present and is looking for insurance for future possible legal issues.

MamaKennedy

I am concluding that MamaKennedy is not a he, but a she. Though, I have no facts to confirm this conclusion.

Your powers of deduction are amazing! What gave me away? :)

The situational details regarding my defensive use of firearm are not pertinent to the question asked. I will however write it up and post it soon. I have learned that Justice is not fair, and is not what some LEOs/Prosecutors seek after. Justice goes to those with the political clout and the money....every once in a while there is an exception to that rule.

It would take me 4-5 years to save up the money needed to secure a lawyer again. Every penny I had went to pay the lawyer...
I do not intend to put myself in a situation where I might need my firearm, where I might be harassed by a LEO, nor do I involve myself with questionable people. Even though I live a clean quiet life I will not stand by and allow someone to hurt my children, my husband, or I. Since I can't exactly ask people intent on violence to please leave my family and I alone for a few years I am looking at insurance of some sort.

OC for ME

The situational details regarding my defensive use of firearm are not pertinent to the question asked. I will however write it up and post it soon. I have learned that Justice is not fair, and is not what some LEOs/Prosecutors seek after. Justice goes to those with the political clout and the money....every once in a while there is an exception to that rule.

It would take me 4-5 years to save up the money needed to secure a lawyer again. Every penny I had went to pay the lawyer...
I do not intend to put myself in a situation where I might need my firearm, where I might be harassed by a LEO, nor do I involve myself with questionable people. Even though I live a clean quiet life I will not stand by and allow someone to hurt my children, my husband, or I. Since I can't exactly ask people intent on violence to please leave my family and I alone for a few years I am looking at insurance of some sort.
Time are tough in deed. My only suggestion at this point is that you contact the organizations you listed in your OP and make a informed choice just as you would as a consumer of any other service. Not much help I know.

Good luck. Please consider posting the results of your efforts to secure prepaid legal services. I will be very interested in your findings and commentary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here http://www.chlpp.com/docs/compare.pdf is how one company compares themself to other plans/programs.

I'd not only check them out through the Better Business Bureau but through the business licensing and business regulatory agencies in the state they are headquartered in. If everything comes back clean I'd ask them for the names of at least three (3) people that filed claims against their policy and court case ID information.

If it sounds too good to be true you need to go back and read the small print.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here http://www.chlpp.com/docs/compare.pdf is how one company compares themself to other plans/programs.

I'd not only check them out through the Better Business Bureau but through the business licensing and business regulatory agencies in the state they are headquartered in. If everything comes back clean I'd ask them for the names of at least three (3) people that filed claims against their policy and court case ID information.

If it sounds too good to be true you need to go back and read the small print.

stay safe.

... prices seem pretty steep though ... I think all of them requires either a dismissal or not guilty verdict and none cover appeals that I see...
You lose your case - you gotta pay $$ back & the rates? Who knows..

worthwhile? up to the eye of the beholder I guess

I myself do not see value in these plans

skyflyrr

CCW Insurance

I have CCW insurance through USCCA, their Defense Shield Insurance. And yes there are limitations, such as pay after acquittal and such, but the cost is worth it. I did check various other plans and decided on USCCA after asking and receiving member experiences from members themselves. In addition I checked for complaints, BBB, and on-line discussions. I pay $20 a month for a total use amount of over $500,000 policy. I plan on obtaining an additional second policy through another company, haven't decided who yet. If I send $30, $40 a month for both policies it is nothing compared to the savings in the long run. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps you.

Bob Moreno

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have CCW insurance through USCCA, their Defense Shield Insurance. And yes there are limitations, such as pay after acquittal and such, but the cost is worth it. I did check various other plans and decided on USCCA after asking and receiving member experiences from members themselves. In addition I checked for complaints, BBB, and on-line discussions. I pay $20 a month for a total use amount of over $500,000 policy. I plan on obtaining an additional second policy through another company, haven't decided who yet. If I send $30, $40 a month for both policies it is nothing compared to the savings in the long run. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps you.

Bob Moreno
Though this thread has been dead for 2 years, nothing substantial has changed. You're still subject to have to put out substantial sums of money - the appeal process can be a financial roadblock.