Thread: State Parks

State Parks

While researching state parks to go camping in , most specifically Myrtle Beach, I noticed in the rules and regs. part it states no firearms allowed. Now, I understand that S.C. has complete state preemption or is Myrtle Beach 'special'. Lol, I have been there before and it is quite the freak show at night during the tourist season, but I was just curious if the parks web site just hasn't updated the no firearms in the rules and regs. I don't go anywhere unarmed so S.C. may just have to get by without my money. Too bad.......I might just have to call them I suppose.

51-3-145
    (G) Possessing any firearm, airgun, explosive, or firework except by duly authorized park personnel, law enforcement officers, or persons using areas specifically designated by the department for use of firearms, airguns, fireworks, or explosives. Licensed hunters may have firearms in their possession during hunting seasons provided that such firearms are unloaded and carried in a case or the trunk of a vehicle except that in designated game management areas where hunting is permitted, licensed hunters may use firearms for hunting in the manner authorized by law. This subsection shall not apply to a person carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, and the concealable weapon and its ammunition.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t51c003.php
    Last edited by John Canuck; 05-13-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    While researching state parks to go camping in , most specifically Myrtle Beach, I noticed in the rules and regs. part it states no firearms allowed. Now, I understand that S.C. has complete state preemption or is Myrtle Beach 'special'. Lol, I have been there before and it is quite the freak show at night during the tourist season, but I was just curious if the parks web site just hasn't updated the no firearms in the rules and regs. I don't go anywhere unarmed so S.C. may just have to get by without my money. Too bad.......I might just have to call them I suppose.
    Myrtle Beach may be a zoo, but little of it is a state park. If your visit is dependent on 'camping', tent or Million$$ RV, they won't miss you or your money. See the recent retreat at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island, these are who SC encourages - with private armed security.

Michigan enjoys reciprocity in SC http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP retrieved 14 May 2013
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    I see they left out the part you bolded. The parks web site actually has the statute you posted on their web page too, just not the exemption. Atleast I didn't notice it if it was there. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    I see they left out the part you bolded. The parks web site actually has the statute you posted on their web page too, just not the exemption. Atleast I didn't notice it if it was there. thanks
    It's quite possible they don't want you to know about that part. Do you have a link to their web site?
    Last edited by John Canuck; 05-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.