• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVa OC Picnic - June 8, 2013 - Fountainhead Regional Park - 11AM

Mike_James

I am basically in the same boat although I have had dinner with Tess and her family. Have you been to a VCDL meeting? I have been to one...

No i have not. I am fairly new to OCDO, although i would like to go to one of the OC breakfasts in ashburn.

Steeler-gal

I'm teaching a class that day so I'll be arriving after 6. I assume people will still be there. Yes?
I can bring dessert or snack items or someone can give me their cell and I can just pick up whatever is needed in my way down.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
The Ashburn breakfasts won't be on there; they're not VCDL events. Contact ed for details on the breakfasts (I don't know if he considers them opencarry.org breakfasts, VA Open Carry breakfasts, or some other.)

They are non-descript really.. They are just breakfasts.. Most are NRA members, VCDL members, and folks from OCDO, Virginia Open Carry and Facebook. We are at the Coney Island Diner in Ashburn on Rt. 7, every Sunday morning at 0830. Since it has been like this, weekly for over a year, we rarely post it anymore.

grylnsmn

At this point, we look to have almost everything that we need, except for the charcoal to cook on, hamburgers (if we want them), and condiments. With a week to go, that's not too shabby.

JohnM15A

I was hoping to go but I also want to attend a firearm safety class in Woodbridge. Will let y'all know...

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I believe it's getting real... I've started soaking the beans. I can also bring napkins and plastic knives & forks. I also have some charcoal, and I think I've got lighter fluid.

By the way, Ruger (the dog) will be in attendance.

Last edited:

JohnM15A

Ed, I don't need the course to learn but to meet the Oregon requirements for their CHL I plan to get one on our vacation there in less than two weeks. VA had no problem accepting my DD214 but Oregon requires that the DD214 show actual handgun training which mine does not. Oregon also requires that the instruction be given by a NRA certified instructor...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm planning to buy tomorrow.

So far I see SIX people RSVPd.

So I should be fine with a dozen hotdogs, right?

It really would be useful if we had a headcount with the RSVP.

I will be +2

grylnsmn

I'm planning to buy tomorrow.

So far I see SIX people RSVPd.

So I should be fine with a dozen hotdogs, right?

It really would be useful if we had a headcount with the RSVP.

I will be +2

I'll be +3 adults and +2 kids (infant and toddler, infant won't eat anything).

If no one else signs up for it, I'll bring hamburger patties and condiments as well.

user

Accomplished Advocate
bring rain gear, just in case - intermittent thunderstorms appear to be in the range of possibilities.

I'm hoping that there'll be walk-ins who may not have done rsvp.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I got the dogs (40), and I have 16 hotdog rolls left from an event last weekend, so I'll bring those. Whoever's bringing bread can count on them.

grylnsmn

How late will folks be staying for the picnic? I understand that I will getting out of class about 1630...

My wife and I will be bringing 2 cars because she has to leave for an appointment at 2 (I'll be staying with the kids until later). However, I have a friend dropping something off at my house at 4 that I really ought to be home for. (She got married two weeks ago and wants us to store the top layer of their cake until they move into their new apartment in July.)

However, the shelter is reserved for the entire day, so everyone else can stay as long as they want. I'll leave the supplies I bring for any late arrivals to have something to eat.

user

Accomplished Advocate
...However, the shelter is reserved for the entire day, so everyone else can stay as long as they want. I'll leave the supplies I bring for any late arrivals to have something to eat.

And I'll probably be there for the duration. Slight change in plans, though, I decided not to make two varieties of beans, I've got one variety and I've chopped up some jalapenos for people who want to make 'em friskier. I'm in the process of creating some po'k bah-be-kyu and coleslaw, though there won't be huge quantities. Some hamburgers, ketchup and mustard would be good, I think.

grylnsmn

And I'll probably be there for the duration. Slight change in plans, though, I decided not to make two varieties of beans, I've got one variety and I've chopped up some jalapenos for people who want to make 'em friskier. I'm in the process of creating some po'k bah-be-kyu and coleslaw, though there won't be huge quantities. Some hamburgers, ketchup and mustard would be good, I think.

I picked up a package of hamburgers (18 of them) last night. I also have a package of 16 buns and another 32 hot dog buns. I can pull some condiments out of our food storage, if need be.

My group is down to just 2 adults and our two kids. My coworker and his fiancee who were going to come along won't be able to make it. (Her mother is in the hospital, and likely will never get to go home again.) He had been really looking forward to it.

Last edited: