• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling Through Utah

OC541

I am planning on a road trip to Colorado from Oregon (taking I-80 through Salt Lake City). The states I am traveling through seem pretty straight forward but Utah is the one that's confusing me a bit. The map I'm looking at lists Utah as "Licensed Open Carry State". However, on the travel map it lists Utah as "No Restrictions"...?
The only stops I will be making is to gas up and get something to eat.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gil223

The following quotes are borrowed from iCarryUtah.com:

Open Carry IS Legal in Utah - however, there is a big difference between the abilities of CFP holders and non-CFP holders. There is also the matter of wisdom in the matter. IF YOU HAVE A CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT - you can also open carry a fully loaded firearm. You give up the advantage of surprise, and can attract unwanted attention.

Keep in mind that if a sheeple gets scared, they WILL call 911. They won't say that they saw a man with a gun in a holster. They will say they saw a man with a gun. After the "telephone game", that will most likely be interpreted by the responding police as a "man waving a gun around and scaring people".
There is also the matter of LE response. Unfortunately, our myriad and copious number of laws has created the situation that no LEO knows ALL of the laws they are charged to enforce. This includes the laws relating to firearms. While most SHOULD show up, see someone acting peaceably with a holstered firearm, and walk away - there are some that will react as if they are observing a felony in progress. Do you really want to go there? While you should not have to worry about this, the sad reality is that you do. The Utah State Constitution is preemptive - (Utah) open carry is legal throughout the state, and no subordinate municipality can detain you simply for carrying a holstered sidearm in plain sight.

Be aware that Utah has a rather unusual definition of "unloaded" (which is the only way you can OC in Utah without a CFP).
Utah unloaded" means the gun will be in such a condition that it will require two separate mechanical actions to cause the gun to fire. In Utah, a round in "firing position" = loaded. If semi-auto, no loaded round in chamber but magazine may be loaded. (rack slide = one action plus pull trigger = 2 actions). A cocked and locked 1911 is considered loaded, and therefore illegal without a CFP. If a revolver, the chamber under the hammer AND the next one in rotation must be empty. This gets you around the loaded firearm definition in Utah (if the chamber under the hammer has a round, then TECHNICALLY there is a loaded round in firing position even though PHYSICALLY and FUNCTIONALLY that round won't fire as the trigger will first rotate the cylinder). Two pulls of trigger = two actions. This leaves you two down on a revolver, and at a further disadvantage. On this one, don't expect the average patrol officer to understand the direction of rotation on the cylinder. Many of them have never handled a revolver before. Just be prepared, and again, ask yourself if you really want to go there.
Also be aware that your Oregon CFP/CCW (assuming that you have one) is not valid in Nevada or Colorado. Enjoy your trip! :)

Last edited:

OC541

The following quotes are borrowed from iCarryUtah.com:

Keep in mind that if a sheeple gets scared, they WILL call 911. They won't say that they saw a man with a gun in a holster. They will say they saw a man with a gun. After the "telephone game", that will most likely be interpreted by the responding police as a "man waving a gun around and scaring people".
There is also the matter of LE response. Unfortunately, our myriad and copious number of laws has created the situation that no LEO knows ALL of the laws they are charged to enforce. This includes the laws relating to firearms. While most SHOULD show up, see someone acting peaceably with a holstered firearm, and walk away - there are some that will react as if they are observing a felony in progress. Do you really want to go there? While you should not have to worry about this, the sad reality is that you do. The Utah State Constitution is preemptive - (Utah) open carry is legal throughout the state, and no subordinate municipality can detain you simply for carrying a holstered sidearm in plain sight.

Be aware that Utah has a rather unusual definition of "unloaded" (which is the only way you can OC in Utah without a CFP).
Also be aware that your Oregon CFP/CCW (assuming that you have one) is not valid in Nevada or Colorado. Enjoy your trip! :)

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Utah has a very unusual definition of unloaded. That's basically how I carry anyway, so I guess I'm good to go as far as Utah is concerned. :)
Nevada seems straight forward as does Wyoming and Colorado. Still researching the other states though, can't hurt to learn more.

Thanks again!! :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While in your vehicle, you may have the gun fully loaded. You may even have it concealed upon your person if you wish, while in your vehicle. The prohibition against carrying loaded only applies when on a "public highway" and when not in a vehicle under your control.

If all of your getting out of the vehicle happens on private property (parking lots, fuel stations, etc) there is no need to carry an unloaded gun.

Reading this thread has just told me that iCarryUtah looks to be a poor source of information and obviously anti-OC opinions.

I agree with jpm84092 that www.handgun.law is a very good source with very little injected personal opinion.

Last edited: