• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fountain OC Experiences

shaun

Been carrying now for a bit and less apprehensive and "gun shy" about OCing in the Fountain area. Other than a run to Tinseltown for Ironman 3, not a single issue at the following locations after numerous visits visits. Wanted to post in case anyone else was wondering about experiences in the Fountain area. Not sure if it is because I'm typically in slacks, shirt and tie combo or just that no one raises concern about what can be seen.

Note: the following are locations visited with no problems. Any problems will be annotated accordingly.

Walmart (1 comment about me being first OC he's seen and more should do it, another asked what I was carrying and how he preferred the .45 over my 9mm. Good convo and had 3 others join in.)

Safeway (Mesa Ridge (MR))
Big R (No check-in at counter signs)
Kum and Go (MR)
Advance Auto (MR)
Lowes
Taco Bell (MR)
McDonalds
State Farm (MR)
Fantastic Sams (MR) (Note: even with a 30 minute wait)
Seventh Wave Car Wash (Colorado Springs)
Culvers
Denny's
Dry Cleaner (behind 7-11 on Mesa Ridge & Fountain Mesa)
Arby's
Jack In The Box
Sports Clips
Mesa Ridge Dental
Noodles & Company
Jersey Mikes
UPS Store
Liquor Store (next to Fantastic Sam's)
Hibbert Sports
Navy Federal Credit Union (Removed sign, teller said they can't tell you what you can and can't do when I asked if they still prohibited firearms)

Pikes Peak Library, Fountain (Posted)

Updated list 8 August 2015

Carry Safe!

Last edited:

centsi

Campaign Veteran
Good for you Shaun. I've never had any issues carrying down that way, although thought that Big R's usually had a sign at the entrance about checking in all firearms at the counter. Happy OCing

since9

Campaign Veteran
Carry on! I've not yet OC'd (or even visited) Fountain, although I heard they just got a Denny's. A friend of mine who lives there was ecstatic, so perhaps our next OC meet should be at the new Denny's in Fountain. :)

I've OC'd in Security a couple of times. No biggee.

shaun

Just down the road from me less than a mile. Place has gotten ridiculously crowded in past couple years. Starbucks and Arby's now going up.

troym

shaun,
Good to hear no problems. Did you come across any Fountain PD?
BTW, I'm downtown a block from city hall and I work at the Academy in Jacks Valley, the window of my office looks on the pistol range. Being an RSO I find it hard to justify paying to use a range, that's just me though.

shaun

No problems from FPD. Walking the dogs had a couple city and sheriff units pass drive by but never stopped, slow or make any type of indication that thenpass-by was intentional.

As for paying for range, I like supporting MWR and think it's great they have this available. Provides a safe area as well as the RSOs there have been great. They love to help new shooters and have been providing great tips and training to my wife and daughter.

Out in the country on pub lands, free is for me but should help be needed, it could be difficult.

Now, at drill this past weekend, a fellow personnelist I work with is also Aurora PD. Was talking to her and 1. was asked if I really carry Texas-style .. yes ... wow
2. you surrendered your gun to the base armory ... yep, no prison bubbas for me in kansas
3. Here's my address, keep it there at drill, no feds will touch her weapon ... 5 minutes poss free meal vs 1hr filling out paperwork ... nice

I did ask if I'd have probs if PD saw me open carrying but she couldn't answer for whole force. For her, after initial shock at seeing it, said she'd observe quickly and if no crime was being committed, she'd move on to more important calls. She didn't encourage it but didn't discourage either, especially when I don't yet have CCW.

troym

I only asked as Fountain PD have a reputation, we work with EPSO a lot here, great folks, at least all of them I've dealt with.
The amount of LEO that are not up on OC law is truly scary, and in my humble opinion, inexcusable, but I am hard and quick to judge being in Air Force SF.
I agree, the range is great, price is reasonable and it is long overdue and needed in the area. It is nice to be able to open our range and have it to ourselves. I was teaching my 10yr old, he picked up on shooting techniques very quickly and I fear he will be better than me in no time. I guess I can brag about my teaching techniques instead of accuracy when that happens.
Be safe out there and if you get the chance, grab your CCW.

shaun

All of my experiences with FPD have been positive and the officers were respectful and professional. Of course, my experiences were all non-OC related so let's just say the jury is out on that one.

Appointment set for 24 June :monkey

Last edited:

troym

Just an FYI, they don't take AF 522 anymore, at least that is what I was told at my appointment. Everyone here at CATM have been using them in the past but as of last month they wouldn't take mine. You might want to call in advance to see what they want now.

got_heat

I OC in Fountain quite frequently and have had no problems. What is the Colorado statute that allows for OC? I am new to Colorado.

shaun

I OC in Fountain quite frequently and have had no problems. What is the Colorado statute that allows for OC? I am new to Colorado.

There's no statute that outright bans open carry. The Colorado Revised Statute you may be looking for is CRS 18-12. Can view it by going to http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/ If you click the link from the CO gov't page to view statutes, it takes you there as well.

As you may already know, certain places will be no-no's and have signs posted. Denver and Denver County 100% ban on OC.

For Fountain, Fountain Municipal Code 9 sub 24 (9.24) at https://www.fountaincolorado.org/egov/docs/1254174488_881744.pdf

Welcome!

got_heat

There's no statute that outright bans open carry. The Colorado Revised Statute you may be looking for is CRS 18-12. Can view it by going to http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/ If you click the link from the CO gov't page to view statutes, it takes you there as well.

As you may already know, certain places will be no-no's and have signs posted. Denver and Denver County 100% ban on OC.

For Fountain, Fountain Municipal Code 9 sub 24 (9.24) at https://www.fountaincolorado.org/egov/docs/1254174488_881744.pdf

Welcome!

Thanks!!! That was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.