• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wa cpl

Ronniewo

So.. I just found out that my FL CHL is no loger good. Is there a way for me to go though the run around to get my WA CPL while I'm deployed or do I have to do it all in person? Also, for military is there still the 60 day delay considering fingerprints and background checks have already been performed on us?

Trigger Dr

Must be done in person and if military, bring a copy of your orders and you will be considered a resident of Wa state.

Ronniewo

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to aviod the delay. Oh well, I guess I OC for a while. Next question, how in the heck are you supposed to OC, travel w/ your gun in the car, but keep it unloaded while in there. Are you supposed to chamber a round everytime you leave your car. Talk about "common sense" gun laws. WTFO?

Freedom1Man

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to aviod the delay. Oh well, I guess I OC for a while. Next question, how in the heck are you supposed to OC, travel w/ your gun in the car, but keep it unloaded while in there. Are you supposed to chamber a round everytime you leave your car. Talk about "common sense" gun laws. WTFO?

Just remember this, "liberals" don't know how to use logic. I have posted a real time conversation with one in the social lounge. I put it there as an educational piece to show how liberals can't think and how to handle the ones that have a few functioning brain cells.

tombrewster421

Just remember this, "liberals" don't know how to use logic. I have posted a real time conversation with one in the social lounge. I put it there as an educational piece to show how liberals can't think and how to handle the ones that have a few functioning brain cells.

Where's the link?

acmariner99

While I know this isn't preferred, the easiest way around the issue is to carry without a round in the chamber, then all you have to do is pop the mag when you get in your car - that's what I did before I got my CPL. I didn't mind doing it that way at the time since I was still kind of new to OC. As stated above, you need to be in Washington and go in person to the police station to obtain one. The good news is all you have to do is fill out a form, do fingerprints, and wait.

hermannr

At least you do not have to prove any government mandated "training". When you get back from deployment, put in you paperwork. If you live in Kitsap Co (or here in Okanogan co) you might be surprised how quickly your CPL will be available.

As to OC... I (unlicensed) OC'd for years. As for the "unloaded" part...keep a fishing pole in the vehicle with you. Been fishing/going fishing RCW 9.41.060(8)

ShooterMcGavin

If you are a resident of WA, it is illegal to carry concealed without a WA specific CPL. If you have one from another state, which has reciprocity with WA, it is not valid for residents of WA.

ETA: Sorry, I don't have a cite right now. I looked it up years ago, after a friend got his UT license, and then followed a trail of laws to find the final answer.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
If you are a resident of WA, it is illegal to carry concealed without a WA specific CPL. If you have one from another state, which has reciprocity with WA, it is not valid for residents of WA.

ETA: Sorry, I don't have a cite right now. I looked it up years ago, after a friend got his UT license, and then followed a trail of laws to find the final answer.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.073

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

conandan

I will be in Kitsap county Saturday can I apply for my ccl or does it have to be Monday thru Friday. I'm hoping to get this done while I'm here for the weekend.

conandan

I'm sure there all weekdays only but can't hurt to ask. If I can't do it Saturday ill have to try to stick around till Monday. I few people here have told me Kitsap county will issue while you wait.

kparker

I'm pretty sure he is referring to 9.41.060 (8):

Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area; (emphasis added)

The bolded words in particular make it sound like the legislature is going out of its way to say "pretextual involvement in 'outdoor activities' is not an exception under this section."

Mind you, I think this part of the RCW, as written is quite stupid (and arguably unconstitutional) but that IS what it says.

rapgood

I'm pretty sure he is referring to 9.41.060 (8):

Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area; (emphasis added)

The bolded words in particular make it sound like the legislature is going out of its way to say "pretextual involvement in 'outdoor activities' is not an exception under this section."

Mind you, I think this part of the RCW, as written is quite stupid (and arguably unconstitutional) but that IS what it says.

I would encourage non-CPL holders to not rely on 9.41.060(8) unless they are actually engaged in the outdoor activities facially contemplated by the statute. Even an only moderately aggressive LEO may find the conduct pretextual and issue a citation. Likely due to the current political climate, I have been seeing a trend where prosecutors are charging virtually all alleged violations of firearms laws, even when the case is weak. So, even if you do win (you can never predict what the 12-headed monster or the specter-in-black will do), it can take well over a year to get the firearm back.