• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Wording on an FFL Website

Esanders2008

http://www.oldtimeguntrader.com

If you look down a little bit, the site states "If you purchase a firearm online and wish to bring it into the Commonwealth of Virginia then it must be legally registered through the Virginia State Police and the ATF."

It was my understanding that VA did not have a "registration".

I understand what he is <i>trying</i> to say, but I think he could word things a little differently.

2a4all

http://www.oldtimeguntrader.com

If you look down a little bit, the site states "If you purchase a firearm online and wish to bring it into the Commonwealth of Virginia then it must be legally registered through the Virginia State Police and the ATF."

It was my understanding that VA did not have a "registration".

I understand what he is <i>trying</i> to say, but I think he could word things a little differently.
I sent him an e-mail asking how to do this.

2a4all

I sent him an e-mail asking how to do this.
Here's his response.

If you purchase a gun through a site like Gunbroker.com then the gun would be shipped to me from the dealer. I would receive the gun and contact you once it arrived. I would take your Va Drivers License and a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] form of id and process it through the State Police and the ATF. Once I get a verification from the State Police I would then be able to release the gun to you. All of this is done in my office.

I responded that this does not constitute a registration of a firearm, and that Virginia does not register firearms.

2a4all

Here's his response.
If you purchase a gun through a site like Gunbroker.com then the gun would be shipped to me from the dealer. I would receive the gun and contact you once it arrived. I would take your Va Drivers License and a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] form of id and process it through the State Police and the ATF. Once I get a verification from the State Police I would then be able to release the gun to you. All of this is done in my office.

I responded that this does not constitute a registration of a firearm, and that Virginia does not register firearms.

Check the site now.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well I, being much younger than the average member here, do not know if there ever WAS registration in VA.

Yes and No!
There was ever legal registration but certain areas like Henrico and Richmond, had illegal ordinances requiring people in the venue to get purchase permits from the locality before buying a gun. I explained this to Jester last night.

Richmond and probably others, used issuing CWP's to get information on people's guns. Grapeshot told me he had to list any firearms he may carry. I was told to list All my guns (and if you think I did I have a bridge for you).

So yeah...there were some forms of registration.

Esanders2008

Yes and No!
There was ever legal registration but certain areas like Henrico and Richmond, had illegal ordinances requiring people in the venue to get purchase permits from the locality before buying a gun. I explained this to Jester last night.

Richmond and probably others, used issuing CWP's to get information on people's guns. Grapeshot told me he had to list any firearms he may carry. I was told to list All my guns (and if you think I did I have a bridge for you).

So yeah...there were some forms of registration.

Well I'm glad we have preemption now. :D

TFred

Here's his response.

Or... perhaps calling this process a "registration" makes this old timer smarter than all the rest of us think we might be...

Hmm....

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Here's his response.

If I'm not mistaken, this part is wrong; "..and the ATF". It's the FBI that runs the NCIS check, not the ATF.

DryBones

Form 4473 is for the ATF if they need to view it.

From Wiki whatever that's worth:

The Form 4473 contains name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS, although prosecutions are rare in the absence of another felony committed with the gun purchased.
The dealer also records all information from the Form 4473 into their "bound-book". A dealer must keep this on file at least 20 years and is required to surrender the log to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) upon retirement from the firearms business. The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation.

MKEgal

4473 wiki said:
The Form 4473 contains name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law.
That bolded part is completely unnecessary if all they're ensuring is that the person is legal to buy a gun.
Remove the gun-specific info & there's no danger of it being misused as a registration/confiscation scheme.

As for the ID, I've had a dealer tell me that only a state driver's license is acceptable.
Not a passport, not a military ID, not a cc license w/ a picture.

Thundar

That bolded part is completely unnecessary if all they're ensuring is that the person is legal to buy a gun.
Remove the gun-specific info & there's no danger of it being misused as a registration/confiscation scheme.

As for the ID, I've had a dealer tell me that only a state driver's license is acceptable.
Not a passport, not a military ID, not a cc license w/ a picture.

No....

You don't understand the difference between gun registration and gun tracing. That information is for gun tracing, not gun registration. You see for gun registration you have a list of each gun owner and the serial number of every firearm they own. For gun tracing you have a list of each gun owner and the serial number of every firearm they buy (from an FFL).

If we didn't record the gun serial numbers then we couldn't have gun registration; whoops I mean gun tracing.

BTW it must be a state ID, not a Drivers license. Still waiting to see what the new Commonwealth voter ID will look like.