Thread: Columbia U and their "white-only" scholarship - endowed in 1920's seems

Banned

Columbia U and their "white-only" scholarship - endowed in 1920's seems

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/15/W...9601368634877/

The university is hoping to free up grant money for the Lydia C. Roberts Graduate Fellowship from its stipulations which include, among other things, a restriction to students "of the caucasian race."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/15/W...#ixzz2TOeH1Fnx

Like it or not, it was the wish of the original grantor .... abide by the wish or discontinue being involved with the process ... just my viewpoint

Re: Columbia U and their "white-only" scholarship - endowed in 1920's seems

I like this. Why not have caucasian only scholarships? There are african american only and latino only scholarships are there not?

Sent from the back of a black van

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    I like this. Why not have caucasian only scholarships? There are african american only and latino only scholarships are there not?

Sent from the back of a black van

Actually, a white student was once disqualified from a scholarship contest that required the student to be African-American. This student was born in South Africa and was legally in the US, enrolled in school and pursuing US citizenship. Wish I could find that citation; I'd love to know what happened in that instance. But yes, you're right that many scholarships are race-based.

Columbia will have a harder time breaking the "white only" stipulation than Harvard did in freeing up the endowment fund for the education of Natick indians and their decendants. Natick indians were wiped out in the late 1700s when the good folks of Boston sent the used clothing of smallpox victims to the Baptists who were in the process of converting the Natick indians. The original 20 pounds sterling sat accumulating compound interest until the late 1970s when the courts finally agreed that Harvard could spend the money for other stuff if they proved conclusively that there were no decendants of the Natick indians alive. Harvard actually spend several millions (from other sources) to do just that.

Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor. Columbia would be more honest if they just said they no longer wished to abide by the conditions of the trust and let the money revert back to the trust. The trustees would then be responsible for determining if there was an alternative beneficiary or how to otherwise disppose of the funds. The odds of radicalized liberal Columbia even considering doing that are slim approaching zero.

Just more proof that some folks find it very difficult to do the right thing.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Columbia will have a harder time breaking the "white only" stipulation than Harvard did in freeing up the endowment fund for the education of Natick indians and their decendants. Natick indians were wiped out in the late 1700s when the good folks of Boston sent the used clothing of smallpox victims to the Baptists who were in the process of converting the Natick indians. The original 20 pounds sterling sat accumulating compound interest until the late 1970s when the courts finally agreed that Harvard could spend the money for other stuff if they proved conclusively that there were no decendants of the Natick indians alive. Harvard actually spend several millions (from other sources) to do just that.

Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor. Columbia would be more honest if they just said they no longer wished to abide by the conditions of the trust and let the money revert back to the trust. The trustees would then be responsible for determining if there was an alternative beneficiary or how to otherwise disppose of the funds. The odds of radicalized liberal Columbia even considering doing that are slim approaching zero.

Just more proof that some folks find it very difficult to do the right thing.

stay safe.
    Ah, the good ol "small pox blankets" myth again.... a court actually validated that?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor.
    Not only that, but "current social values" are f--ked up in the extreme, in that it is unjustly socially radioactive (thanks to bigoted Marxist namby pamby scum) to have this for whites, but not for other racial groups. Double standards and discrimination suck, so fairness alone is grounds enough to do this. The original intent of the the trust grantor is simply an extra reason.