• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Columbia U and their "white-only" scholarship - endowed in 1920's seems

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/15/Whites-only-scholarship-could-end-at-Columbia/9601368634877/

The university is hoping to free up grant money for the Lydia C. Roberts Graduate Fellowship from its stipulations which include, among other things, a restriction to students "of the caucasian race."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/15/...-end-at-Columbia/9601368634877/#ixzz2TOeH1Fnx

Like it or not, it was the wish of the original grantor .... abide by the wish or discontinue being involved with the process ... just my viewpoint

SPOProds

I like this. Why not have caucasian only scholarships? There are african american only and latino only scholarships are there not?

Sent from the back of a black van

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I like this. Why not have caucasian only scholarships? There are african american only and latino only scholarships are there not?

Sent from the back of a black van

Actually, a white student was once disqualified from a scholarship contest that required the student to be African-American. This student was born in South Africa and was legally in the US, enrolled in school and pursuing US citizenship. Wish I could find that citation; I'd love to know what happened in that instance. But yes, you're right that many scholarships are race-based.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Columbia will have a harder time breaking the "white only" stipulation than Harvard did in freeing up the endowment fund for the education of Natick indians and their decendants. Natick indians were wiped out in the late 1700s when the good folks of Boston sent the used clothing of smallpox victims to the Baptists who were in the process of converting the Natick indians. The original 20 pounds sterling sat accumulating compound interest until the late 1970s when the courts finally agreed that Harvard could spend the money for other stuff if they proved conclusively that there were no decendants of the Natick indians alive. Harvard actually spend several millions (from other sources) to do just that.

Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor. Columbia would be more honest if they just said they no longer wished to abide by the conditions of the trust and let the money revert back to the trust. The trustees would then be responsible for determining if there was an alternative beneficiary or how to otherwise disppose of the funds. The odds of radicalized liberal Columbia even considering doing that are slim approaching zero.

Just more proof that some folks find it very difficult to do the right thing.

stay safe.

EMNofSeattle

Columbia will have a harder time breaking the "white only" stipulation than Harvard did in freeing up the endowment fund for the education of Natick indians and their decendants. Natick indians were wiped out in the late 1700s when the good folks of Boston sent the used clothing of smallpox victims to the Baptists who were in the process of converting the Natick indians. The original 20 pounds sterling sat accumulating compound interest until the late 1970s when the courts finally agreed that Harvard could spend the money for other stuff if they proved conclusively that there were no decendants of the Natick indians alive. Harvard actually spend several millions (from other sources) to do just that.

Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor. Columbia would be more honest if they just said they no longer wished to abide by the conditions of the trust and let the money revert back to the trust. The trustees would then be responsible for determining if there was an alternative beneficiary or how to otherwise disppose of the funds. The odds of radicalized liberal Columbia even considering doing that are slim approaching zero.

Just more proof that some folks find it very difficult to do the right thing.

stay safe.

Ah, the good ol "small pox blankets" myth again.... a court actually validated that?

minarchist

Imposing current social values on a trust grant is effectively negating the stated intent of the trust and the intent of the trust grantor.

Not only that, but "current social values" are f--ked up in the extreme, in that it is unjustly socially radioactive (thanks to bigoted Marxist namby pamby scum) to have this for whites, but not for other racial groups. Double standards and discrimination suck, so fairness alone is grounds enough to do this. The original intent of the the trust grantor is simply an extra reason.