• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glen Beck's "Control"

papa bear

i started the book control a couple of weeks ago. so far it is pretty good and an easy read. it gives you the stupid liberal rants. and then gives you the counter argument. there are some good facts in the book. like the first mass shooting was in Canada in 1975.
also the biggest and most of the mass killings are over seas, in Europe.
he gives good examples of Mass killings that were stopped by a good guy with a gun.

i would like to hear from others on what they think of the book

KBCraig

While I generally avoid shooting the messenger, I'm not interested in giving Glenn Beck any of my money.

Yes, yes... he's doing a great job at "being libertarian" lately. Let's see what happens in a few months when he changes his meds. Again.

sharkey

i started the book control a couple of weeks ago. so far it is pretty good and an easy read. it gives you the stupid liberal rants. and then gives you the counter argument. there are some good facts in the book. like the first mass shooting was in Canada in 1975.
also the biggest and most of the mass killings are over seas, in Europe.
he gives good examples of Mass killings that were stopped by a good guy with a gun.

If the book claims the first mass shooting was in Canada in 1975 then it gives you bad facts not good facts.

Look up the Altona Schoolhouse shooting. That was 1902.

Charles Whitman (belltower) was in 66.

This is macabre, I don't wish to research it further.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There are a number of typo and technical errors in the book. And was pointed out by sharkey, not all of the historical facts are facts. The first one that came to mind with the Canada 1975 shooting was Charles Whitman in the summer of 1966. I remember that one well. Most of the killing he did was with an M1 Carbine caliber .30.

Of course, most books, articles, and even website postings can bef picked apart, so his general message needs to be kept in mind. In that area, he did an okay job. For a very good treatise on the right to bear arms, read "That Every Man Be Armed" by Stephen Halbrook.

OC for ME

I very rarely give Mr. Beck any of my valuable time, but on this occasion I will relate a singular fact. Mr. Beck is out to sell books and the "gun control" issue is a powerful and profitable selling point. he will not be realizing any of my money.

zack991

Glen Beck is a snake in the grass and he only comes around to make money off the fears of conservatives not able to look past his acting. Also he is not even close to what real Libertarians are. He and Bill Maher claims to be a Libertarian is so laughable it is disgusting. He has changed his political beliefs as much as the wind changes direction in the day. he would be a progressive if he could make more money.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Glen Beck might good intermediary for Conservatives who want to question a few of their positions, but if you just stop there and don't continue learning it's a big disservice to yourself.

papa bear

i am a bit surprised at the haters, that probably never have read the book. please if you are able, read the book then make you comments

sudden valley gunner

Do we hate all authors whose books we don't read?

So many books, so little time, we have to pick and chose the books and topics we believe personally valuable. Ignorance is the most powerful political force on Earth.

I was making a tongue in cheek statement.

I have read several of his books. I have listened to him, and that's why I don't anymore.......:p, as I previously stated, he's a good start for those who want to work toward breaking the chains of conservativism......I just encourage people to keep learning, and go further.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If the book claims the first mass shooting was in Canada in 1975 then it gives you bad facts not good facts.
Look up the Altona Schoolhouse shooting. That was 1902.
Charles Whitman (belltower) was in 66. This is macabre, I don't wish to research it further.

More than a century earlier, on July 26, 1764, a teacher and 10 students were shot dead by four Lenape American Indians in Greencastle, Penn., in what is considered the earliest known U.S. mass school shooting.

http://news.discovery.com/history/mass-shootings-history-121220.htm

ron73440

His books, Obama's or Beck's, as a start towards breaking the chains of conservatism?

I read Obama's, and Dinesh D'Souza on him, as I validated my conservatism. Only The Constitution Party represents the conservative American Country Class against the progressive Ruling Class of demotic, repugnant and lying Democrats, Republicans and, worst, Libertarians. Read Angelo Codevilla's 'America's Ruling Class - And the Perils of Revolution' http://spectator.org/archives/2010/07/16/americas-ruling-class-and-the

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how are Libertarians the worst of the bunch?

They aren't trying to grow government and shrink freedom like Republicans and Democrats.

I thought the Constitution and Libertarian Parties were similar, admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the Constitution Party, just going off the name.

Last edited:

zack991

i am a bit surprised at the haters, that probably never have read the book. please if you are able, read the book then make you comments

I have a few of his books until l I did my research on him and quite frankly he flip flops as much as Romney does. He is a actor, plain and simple. He claims to be a libertarian(which is BS) and when he was at CNN he equated Ron Paul supporters to terrorists. That is just for starters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc4OJWH1nE

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how are Libertarians the worst of the bunch?

They aren't trying to grow government and shrink freedom like Republicans and Democrats.

I thought the Constitution and Libertarian Parties were similar, admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the Constitution Party, just going off the name.
Very few people who claim to be libertarian actually are much less understand what it means.
8.min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwxBj5OfeGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsXxUKjklt8

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

His books, Obama's or Beck's, as a start towards breaking the chains of conservatism?

I read Obama's, and Dinesh D'Souza on him, as I validated my conservatism. Only The Constitution Party represents the conservative American Country Class against the progressive Ruling Class of demotic, repugnant and lying Democrats, Republicans and, worst, Libertarians. Read Angelo Codevilla's 'America's Ruling Class - And the Perils of Revolution' http://spectator.org/archives/2010/07/16/americas-ruling-class-and-the

Glen Becks.

Yes chains of conservativism, by its definition conservativism wants to keep the status quo. Too many people are mislead that it means "fiscally responsible" it doesn't. Even the term fiscally conservative would mean you would want to keep the current fiscal habits of the government.

Yes there are "perils" in revolution, but not all revolutions have to be violent, they end up being violent when conservatives fight to keep their traditional ways.....:p, like the Tories.....

papa bear

Do you read Obama's books? :p

yes i have read "his" books and they scared the hell out of me

More than a century earlier, on July 26, 1764, a teacher and 10 students were shot dead by four Lenape American Indians in Greencastle, Penn., in what is considered the earliest known U.S. mass school shooting.

http://news.discovery.com/history/mass-shootings-history-121220.htm

technecly we weren't a nation then. but that was a good one

SouthernBoy

If you're really interested in some good and insightful fiction on this topic may I suggest, in no particular order, the following reading;

• Unintended Consequences, John Ross - a classic (hard to find and expensive, it does show up at gun shows on occasion)
  • Essential Liberty, Rob Olive - very good and relatively new
  • Enemies Foreign and Domestic, Matthew Bracken - this is the first in a trilogy and very good
  • Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista, Matthew Bracken - number two in the trilogy
  • Foreign Enemies and Traitors, Matthew Bracken - the final one
  • Molon Labe!, Boston T. Party - another good read

If you can find a copy of Unintended Consequences at a reasonable price, get it. Used copies are going for $300 on Amazon. Don't know what they are selling for at gun shows but I bought my two in the 90's when they first came out. The first edition had some pages out of order, but the next edition was fixed. I think I paid $25 at a gun show. The real beauty of this book is the way the author interleaved his story with actual historical events and people, up to his "present day" part of the book. It makes an exception read and is very hard to put down. Highly recommended for us so immersed in the gun culture.

Last edited:

papa bear

seems like i read "unintended consequences" but i can't remember. found a kindle version, on amazon. saying it was a summary and study guide . for 9.99$

SOUTHERNBOY, do you have any non0fictional books to recommend

SouthernBoy

seems like i read "unintended consequences" but i can't remember. found a kindle version, on amazon. saying it was a summary and study guide . for 9.99$

I'd have to did through my collection to come up with some. "That Every Man be Armed" by Stephen Halbrook comes to mind right away. It's a classic. "Boston's Gun Bible" by Boston T. Party. Related books would by "Lost Rights" by James Bovard and "Liberty and Tyranny" by Mark Levin (excellent book).

I certainly have others but would have to search through boxes in my basement to come up with some titles.

sudden valley gunner

Tyranny of Good Intentions by Stratton and Roberts- great break down on how our common law roots have been trampled