• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Know your rights, you are not a "subject of the king".

NeoShade

Was just about to post this!

3.6 million is a bit silly though. People don't even get that much in wrongful death. He should ask for $100 for time wasted just to prove a point.

Last edited:

HighValueWarrior

I am fully in support of a multi million dollar law suit.
Nothing like a huge settlement to 'adjust attitudes'

Not sure how you can think being detained, arrested and charged after having your civil and constitutional rights trampled is only worth 100 dollars .... :uhoh:

Oramac

I am fully in support of a multi million dollar law suit.
Nothing like a huge settlement to 'adjust attitudes'

Not sure how you can think being detained, arrested and charged after having your civil and constitutional rights trampled is only worth 100 dollars .... :uhoh:

It's worth more than $100 for sure, but I do agree that 3+ million is fairly ridiculous. If I had to guess, it's an intentionally high figure designed to compromise down to a more reasonable sum.

In any case, I hope he wins!

Fallschirjmäger

From another forum ...
Basically, we {the police] don't care if we get sued. For all of us, work foots the bill. For most of us, we have an additional legal defense plan through our union. Its not the big scare factor that you think it is. At most, a headache - at best, overtime for court.

To me this says the penalty needs to be increased. If I go 15mph over the speed limit and it costs me a week's pay it's going to get my attention for a while, ... at least a week before I to that again. If there is no 'hurt' then there is no 'correction' taking place.

Last edited:

Oramac

From another forum ...

To me this says the penalty needs to be increased. If I go 15mph over the speed limit and it costs me a week's pay it's going to get my attention for a while, ... at least a week before I to that again. If there is no 'hurt' then there is no 'correction' taking place.

If that's the case, scrap my previous statement and make it 5 million. Or some other number big enough to get their attention. Or sue the cop himself instead of the department.

F350

From another forum ...

Roy Call needs to see about filing criminal charges under Title 18 USC 241 & 242; facing up to 10 years in federal prison should rattle their brain housing group (use of or threatened use of a deadly weapon; uniformed & armed cops kickes from 1 year to 10).

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It's worth more than $100 for sure, but I do agree that 3+ million is fairly ridiculous. If I had to guess, it's an intentionally high figure designed to compromise down to a more reasonable sum.

Most of the law suit folks talk about are nothing more than press hype. Often the awards listed in the press are far far above what actually happens. Jury awares 10 million and 3 weeks later the judge drops the award to 1.5 million as an example.

I would venture the seeking of 3 million was for the same reason, press hype, which it got, internet buzz which it got and in the near future an "undisclosed" settlement will happen.

Don't know a thing about the case, but reality could be far different than those thinking it is too much. What if he lost his job because of the arrest? It certainly is not outside of the box to think he might have, I know several folks who would be in danger of it if they were arrested and it was found out.

The other element is indeed the punative side, we do not know the case but what if it is indeed one of those real bad ones where the LEO's say they do not care what the law says etc, should that not have impact?

If folks really want things like constitutional carry and to be free from harassment, then we need to have some significant penalties handed down to motivate better training because until the cost of failure is more than the cost of training, the return clearly says allow failure and move on.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

It was 727 years from the Norman Invasion to the Bill of Rights. Along the way, countless people suffered, bled, and burned as rights were wrested from government. The price was staggering.

Whatever government attitude thinks it can seize people when it feels like it without actual legal authority should be buried in the same dustbin of history as the king's power, and very deep. If it cannot be crushed by the overbearing weight of courageous men like Bushell, Lilburne, Penn, and Otis, then let it be crushed by overbearing punitive damages. Given what it cost to obtain rights, given the mischief visited on government's victims in the absence of rights, ten million would not be enough.

HighValueWarrior

It was 727 years from the Norman Invasion to the Bill of Rights. Along the way, countless people suffered, bled, and burned as rights were wrested from government. The price was staggering.

Whatever government attitude thinks it can seize people when it feels like it without actual legal authority should be buried in the same dustbin of history as the king's power, and very deep. If it cannot be crushed by the overbearing weight of courageous men like Bushell, Lilburne, Penn, and Otis, then let it be crushed by overbearing punitive damages. Given what it cost to obtain rights, given the mischief visited on government's victims in the absence of rights, ten million would not be enough.

Hear Hear !!