Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Iwb oc?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2

    Question Iwb oc?

    My CCH card has not arrived yet. Couple weeks till. I've been carrying in my IWB at my office (they don't care), to get a feel for it. I was thinking, if I go out to lunch, I could just tuck my shirt in, and OC IWB. But something tells me State reqs are that the entire firearm, holster must be visible?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    26
    I would go OWB to be safe due to municipal law being a bit wonky. IIRC there is no language specifying how it must be carried or how much must be visible (at the state level) but if you end up in a city like Wichita, they require it to be outside the pants on the hip. You could probably beat any rap in court but its likely not worth it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    111

    CC or OC

    The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal) if you're going to carry, then I would suggest to either fully make your gun invisible so it can't be seen or make it fully visible (Open Carry). If you have your gun sticking half-way out and somebody sees it, chances are you're going to find yourself in a heap of trouble, especially if it's a Police officer.

  4. #4
    Regular Member LeviR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal)
    Can you back this up with a citation of the definition of concealed carry in Kansas law?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    111
    I don't need to. The Police informed me about it when I was carrying in my blue winter coat several weeks ago.. I had my gun in my front left pocket with the handle sticking out while the holster, slide and most of the front of the gun were hidden in the pocket. They told me I was pushing the bounds of conceal carry. And told me if I'm to open carry, the gun/holster has to be entirely visible, not half way.

  6. #6
    Regular Member LeviR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    I don't need to. The Police informed me about it when I was carrying in my blue winter coat several weeks ago.. I had my gun in my front left pocket with the handle sticking out while the holster, slide and most of the front of the gun were hidden in the pocket. They told me I was pushing the bounds of conceal carry. And told me if I'm to open carry, the gun/holster has to be entirely visible, not half way.
    So we're just supposed to just take your word for it? No... you need to cite a definition... something.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    26
    Dude, stop being a ******. He has a point.

    If you have a CC permit, in Kansas nearly any manner of carry is possible. BUT...

    If you have it fully concealed, no one will bother you. If you open carry, likely no one will bother you. (As long as you do so in a professional manner, and don't act or dress like a loser).

    If however you stick a gun in your pocket, or inside the waist band with the grip visible you will probably get crap from everybody. Fellow carriers are going to assume your shirt came untucked, or you are not aware your weapon is visible. Regular folk aren't going to know what to think because it looks like you are kind of trying to hide it. Cops are probably going to assume either one of the two and that means potential for an abrasive encounter.

    Its best to either fully conceal, or make your intention to OC obvious.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: Iwb oc?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeviR View Post
    Can you back this up with a citation of the definition of concealed carry in Kansas law?
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    I don't need to. The Police informed me about it when I was carrying in my blue winter coat several weeks ago.. I had my gun in my front left pocket with the handle sticking out while the holster, slide and most of the front of the gun were hidden in the pocket. They told me I was pushing the bounds of conceal carry. And told me if I'm to open carry, the gun/holster has to be entirely visible, not half way.
    Rule #1 Never take legal advice from a cop.

    Sent from the back of a black van

  9. #9
    Regular Member LeviR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by KTCerberus View Post
    Dude, stop being a ******. He has a point.

    If you have a CC permit, in Kansas nearly any manner of carry is possible. BUT...

    If you have it fully concealed, no one will bother you. If you open carry, likely no one will bother you. (As long as you do so in a professional manner, and don't act or dress like a loser).

    If however you stick a gun in your pocket, or inside the waist band with the grip visible you will probably get crap from everybody. Fellow carriers are going to assume your shirt came untucked, or you are not aware your weapon is visible. Regular folk aren't going to know what to think because it looks like you are kind of trying to hide it. Cops are probably going to assume either one of the two and that means potential for an abrasive encounter.

    Its best to either fully conceal, or make your intention to OC obvious.

    I agree that it is *best* to have the firearm in an OWB holster. However, he didn't claim that it was *best* to do so... he claimed it was illegal and failed to cite a law. He then claimed he didn't have to cite a law because a cop told him. Not acceptable.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2

    Smile

    I completely thought I opened this thread. Thanks a ton for the info. I have just decided to OC outside of my place of business until my card arrives my only question is, in Wichita, what should I do when I gen in my car? Keep the pistol holstered near the seatbuckle, glove compartment, etc...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    367
    Wichita bans OC in a vehicle so separate the ammo and firearm while in your car or truck.

    Your firearm has to be encased you can use a sandwich bag if you so choose.
    Last edited by marine0300; 05-21-2013 at 08:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviR View Post
    I agree that it is *best* to have the firearm in an OWB holster. However, he didn't claim that it was *best* to do so... he claimed it was illegal and failed to cite a law. He then claimed he didn't have to cite a law because a cop told him. Not acceptable.
    Dude, you frost me.. You really do.. I believe my exact words were and I quote "Conceal carry without a permit is illegal." Those were my exact words. I don't need a cite a law for that one, because WE already know this to be TRUE. If you're that stupid, you don't need to be carrying a gun at all. I didn't know I was supposed to recommend that OWB was best.. In your case, I would tell you, DON'T CARRY. YOUR STUPIDITY IS STAGGERING. What the cop told me was absolutely correct. He was doing his job and knew the law, which I am surprised and dismayed that you DON'T. That may not be acceptable to you and if you want to get yourself arrested for being stupid, you're going to make us all look bad. But, stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was the truth.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: Iwb oc?

    He didn't ask for a cite that CCW was required for CC.

    He asked for a cite regarding that a pistol that has the handle sticking out of the waist band is CC.

    Your exact quote below
    The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal) if you're going to carry, then I would suggest to either fully make your gun invisible so it can't be seen or make it fully visible (Open Carry). If you have your gun sticking half-way out and somebody sees it, chances are you're going to find yourself in a heap of trouble, especially if it's a Police officer.
    Now, can you please cite where having a pistol sticking out of your waistband is CC? Ie why Virginia Carry is illegal?

    Sent from the back of a black van

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    Dude, you frost me.. You really do.. I believe my exact words were and I quote "Conceal carry without a permit is illegal." Those were my exact words. I don't need a cite a law for that one, because WE already know this to be TRUE. If you're that stupid, you don't need to be carrying a gun at all. I didn't know I was supposed to recommend that OWB was best.. In your case, I would tell you, DON'T CARRY. YOUR STUPIDITY IS STAGGERING. What the cop told me was absolutely correct. He was doing his job and knew the law, which I am surprised and dismayed that you DON'T. That may not be acceptable to you and if you want to get yourself arrested for being stupid, you're going to make us all look bad. But, stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    He didn't ask for a cite that CCW was required for CC.

    He asked for a cite regarding that a pistol that has the handle sticking out of the waist band is CC.

    Your exact quote below


    Now, can you please cite where having a pistol sticking out of your waistband is CC? Ie why Virginia Carry is illegal?

    Sent from the back of a black van
    In either event, Forum Rules request cites:
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Also please refrain from personal insults:
    (6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks............
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member LeviR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    Dude, you frost me.. You really do.. I believe my exact words were and I quote "Conceal carry without a permit is illegal." Those were my exact words. I don't need a cite a law for that one, because WE already know this to be TRUE. If you're that stupid, you don't need to be carrying a gun at all. I didn't know I was supposed to recommend that OWB was best.. In your case, I would tell you, DON'T CARRY. YOUR STUPIDITY IS STAGGERING. What the cop told me was absolutely correct. He was doing his job and knew the law, which I am surprised and dismayed that you DON'T. That may not be acceptable to you and if you want to get yourself arrested for being stupid, you're going to make us all look bad. But, stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was the truth.
    This has really been handled already. I don't appreciate the name calling, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •