• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok Troopers license plate search???

Chaz

My friend at work had a harrowing experience the other day. He was stopped by the OHP for an expired tag. Not a big deal in itself, but he was carrying an unloaded rifle in the back of his car. He said the trooper asked him upon approaching his car "if he had any weapons on him"? He said that he told the officer yes, he had one in the back-unloaded. The officer told him to get in the passenger seat for a minute. He told me that he was terrified because he had an expunged felony from another state and was not even sure if he was legal to own a rifle. He said after a few minutes the trooper told him this was just a warning and he needed to get his tag renewed. He was allowed to go. He said he was very afraid while the trooper was on his PC. That got me to thinking.... Just what does the OHP trooper see on his computer during a traffic stop?? It seems to me that the officer could see his expunged felony and/or anything else about him. The reason he was stopped to begin with was, a license plate reader captured his tag from a bridge and the officer was alerted and waiting two mile ahead!
Anybody know just what is visible to the police on their PCs during traffic stops?

:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Good question, does OK link driver's and firearms licenses?

In states that do not require notification, the first rule of notification is that you don't talk about notification. In such other states you are no more required to provide an answer to "have any weapons" than you are to "is it hot enough for ya?"

Can't really say if OK says an unloaded firearm in the back is concealed or not :( and whether or not you'd have to disclose it.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Oklahoma does not exactly link the Handgun License with the Driver's License. However, if an officer runs a criminal records check, the Handgun License shows up there.

Also, Oklahoma requires Handgun Licensees to notify. They cannot require those without licenses to notify, since they would be self incriminating.

ocfd922

I do not know exactly how the cameras work for running tags, but I know when a leo runs a 10-28 (tag), OLETS sends that information back with registered owner and address, VIN, Make and model of vehicle, experation date of the tag, decal number for the tag, insurance confirmation, and it with also check a 10-44 Hit (stolen or wanted person) from NCIC. When a leo pulls over somebody, they also check 10-43 (Drivers licence/ information) 10-44 (wanted) from NCIC and 10-56 (warrents/ flags aginst the person) from other database. But Gun permit information as far as I know do not come up when running a person or a tag. They have a seprate database that they can check or run OSBI or III on a person and will let them know that they have been on file for fingerprint cards sent in for a permit. The III that they run also may show the expunged felony of the diffrent state. But they are suppose meet certin critera to run a III on a person. Such as an arrest, Building a case or information for an arrest/ case, ect. But state wise, Leos would still able to run OSBI on a person if needed if he had one from this state.

Glock 1st fan

My friend at work had a harrowing experience the other day. He was stopped by the OHP for an expired tag. Not a big deal in itself, but he was carrying an unloaded rifle in the back of his car. He said the trooper asked him upon approaching his car "if he had any weapons on him"? He said that he told the officer yes, he had one in the back-unloaded. The officer told him to get in the passenger seat for a minute. He told me that he was terrified because he had an expunged felony from another state and was not even sure if he was legal to own a rifle. He said after a few minutes the trooper told him this was just a warning and he needed to get his tag renewed. He was allowed to go. He said he was very afraid while the trooper was on his PC. That got me to thinking.... Just what does the OHP trooper see on his computer during a traffic stop?? It seems to me that the officer could see his expunged felony and/or anything else about him. The reason he was stopped to begin with was, a license plate reader captured his tag from a bridge and the officer was alerted and waiting two mile ahead!
Anybody know just what is visible to the police on their PCs during traffic stops?

:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Well anytime an Officer goes 10-59 (means conducting offical police business but most commonly associated with traffic stops) they can run your information on the computer. Now in the instance of tag it will pull up the information of what type of vehicle, make and model. As others said more detailed information is available at the click of the mouse as serial numbers and so forth

Now when they run your personal information it does bring up pertinant information about your driving record, any police contact history such as terry stops, Field interviews, and criminal history. 10-28s which are vehicle checks tell if it is stolen or not. 10-29s tell if the person himself has any wants or warrants.

Chaz

Well anytime an Officer goes 10-59 (means conducting offical police business but most commonly associated with traffic stops) they can run your information on the computer. Now in the instance of tag it will pull up the information of what type of vehicle, make and model. As others said more detailed information is available at the click of the mouse as serial numbers and so forth

Now when they run your personal information it does bring up pertinant information about your driving record, any police contact history such as terry stops, Field interviews, and criminal history. 10-28s which are vehicle checks tell if it is stolen or not. 10-29s tell if the person himself has any wants or warrants.

Now when they run your personal information it does bring up pertinant information about your driving record, any police contact history such as terry stops, Field interviews, and criminal history.

Well, I thought so. He supposedly has a "non violent" expunged felony from another state, so that's why I was surprised that the officer did not mention that. Especially since he told the officer that he had a rifle in the back? Maybe the officer could not see his past expunged conviction?

Thanks for all the replies!

Glock 1st fan

Now when they run your personal information it does bring up pertinant information about your driving record, any police contact history such as terry stops, Field interviews, and criminal history.

Well, I thought so. He supposedly has a "non violent" expunged felony from another state, so that's why I was surprised that the officer did not mention that. Especially since he told the officer that he had a rifle in the back? Maybe the officer could not see his past expunged conviction?

Thanks for all the replies!

Well to be quiet honest your record never goes away for say. You can get an expunge on a conviction and it does away with your record of conviction. Now say you were convicted of robbery per say. It will no longer show convicted on it but will instead list expungement. I have heard but not sure that these become unavailable to say an employer running a background check for employment though.

With the expungement it will no longer show you were guilty of armed robbery however your F.I. May still be visible with the incident. Meaning that it will show you were at least involved in a case involving armed robbery. Even these though I am not completely sure that it will show up as why you were field interviewed on that date. Its been a while since I have dealt with the computer side of things.