Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Convention (OC related posts)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

The Convention (OC related posts)

Since there are a lot of people that will be there as Delegates, I thought I'd start this.

The morning was dull. My wife registered as a Delegate and I picked up my press credentials.

I videoed the outside table setups and briefly talked to Stimpson about the Air Gun law in her county. She assured me the change was in the process.

Mike with the other gun lobby was walking around, angry as usual and telling everyone to vote Jackson.

Things won't really get moving until 2:00 for the Delegates then the Hospitality get togethers will start at 8:30.

COPS EVERYWHERE! they had at least 5 different dog handlers from different venues there going over the buildings.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Since there are a lot of people that will be there as Delegates, I thought I'd start this.

The morning was dull. My wife registered as a Delegate and I picked up my press credentials.

I videoed the outside table setups and briefly talked to Stimpson about the Air Gun law in her county. She assured me the change was in the process.

Mike with the other gun lobby was walking around, angry as usual and telling everyone to vote Jackson.

Things won't really get moving until 2:00 for the Delegates then the Hospitality get togethers will start at 8:30.

COPS EVERYWHERE! they had at least 5 different dog handlers from different venues there going over the buildings.

What other gun lobby? I'm not trying to be obtuse; I really don't know what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    What other gun lobby? I'm not trying to be obtuse; I really don't know what you're saying.
    Probably was referring to the "No more Excuses" gun lobby, which otherwise will not be named.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Probably was referring to the "No more Excuses" gun lobby, which otherwise will not be named.

Sorry, that didn't help.

Grapeshot's PM explained it, however.

I'm all for discretion, but code is beyond me. There are several other gun lobbies.

The Convention (OC related posts)

A PM for me would be much appreciated. I need to know who to steer clear of, and why.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

http://virginiagun.wordpress.com/about/

Mike McHugh, is the guy running it as far as I know, one man show kind of thing.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

on a slightly different subject, (although still about the convention/OC), my wife and I were chatting this morning with some friends before they all left for the convention. i mentioned that it was OK to carry at the convention. one of the others said "yeah, but you cant bring frisbees". we all decided that the powers that be are afraid of a spontaneous indoor skeet match. PULL!!!

a good laugh was had by all, and off they went.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    http://virginiagun.wordpress.com/about/

Mike McHugh, is the guy running it as far as I know, one man show kind of thing.
    Apparently you need a password to read about VGOC. Newsletter page apparently hasn't been updated since last year. Huh
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Apparently you need a password to read about VGOC. Newsletter page apparently hasn't been updated since last year. Huh
    What kind of an organization password protects their "About" page? Sort of defeats the purpose.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    What kind of an organization password protects their "About" page? Sort of defeats the purpose.

TFred
    No code Tess...I just didn't remember who or what he was. He is the only other that regularly lobbies the GA. NRA doesn't count.

It's been a 16 hour day and I'm ticked at the City and Republican party. I'll tell about that another day. When I left the hospitality parties were getting into full swing and drunks were all over the streets and both motels.

I have three 64 gig cards full and another partly full....and it starts all over at 6:00 tomorrow morning.

With over 3 memory chips of information, in your possession, I need something else.

What convention are you talking about?
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    With over 3 memory chips of information, in your possession, I need something else.

What convention are you talking about?

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=GO...d+VA&FORM=EWRE
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Thanks Marco!

BTW, I only saw 1 OC'er all day. He got through better than I did but they still followed him around for ten minutes. I guess they decided not to repeat our little spat and just follow him.

Thanks Marco!

BTW, I only saw 1 OC'er all day. He got through better than I did but they still followed him around for ten minutes. I guess they decided not to repeat our little spat and just follow him.
    You are old news, they had a new fish. None of the folks at the VCDL table (if there was one) OC'ed?

OTR!
    One of Del. Bell's assistant's asked me to be a delegate for Rob. I declined for a varitey of reasons, teh two main ones.
    The first being, I have no one to watch my kids and I wasn't willing to leave them in the child care area they provided.
    Secondly, I'm not voting for Del Bell for AG. I've asked repeatedly for the last three yrs for him to patron a personal defense/rights bill (pro2A), not once did he reply to that request. Yet, he was the patron of a bill to add correction officers to the list of folks that are EXEMPT from needing a CHP.

I hate bills for the only ones, special class public employees.

~Alan Korwin

You are old news, they had a new fish. None of the folks at the VCDL table (if there was one) OC'ed?

OTR!
    One of Del. Bell's assistant's asked me to be a delegate for Rob. I declined for a varitey of reasons, teh two main ones.
    The first being, I have no one to watch my kids and I wasn't willing to leave them in the child care area they provided.
    Secondly, I'm not voting for Del Bell for AG. I've asked repeatedly for the last three yrs for him to patron a personal defense/rights bill (pro2A), not once did he reply to that request. Yet, he was the patron of a bill to add correction officers to the list of folks that are EXEMPT from needing a CHP.

Bob Sadler was the only one at the VCDL table when I went by and he wasn't OCing.
    There were a lot of GSL stickers and a couple of CCers but only the one OC that I saw. That will change tomorrow I'm sure.

From the latest VCDL e-mail, Philip OC'd there:

=====================
    Friday afternoon I went to the Republican Convention to pickup my badge and to talk to Bob Sadlter, who was setting up the VCDL booth. I open carried to make sure there wasn't going to be any issues (both open carry and concealed carry are OK at this event).

I no sooner got in the building where the registration tables are, said "hello" to Delegate Brenda Pogge, and an unarmed woman security guard, who was walking by, noticed my gun.

She looked indecisive and didn't say anything, so I ignored her and headed into the registration area to get my badge.

Next thing I know, she is beside me as I'm conversing with the worker at the registration table.

She says, "Sir. Do you know that you can't have that gun in here?"

I said, "I CAN have this gun in here. Perfectly legal. Thanks."

I then ignored here and continued interacting with the registration table. The look on her face was priceless. That hadn't gone according to the script - the part where she tells me something and I simply comply without question.

After standing there indecisively for a little while, she tried again. "You can't have that in here."

"Yes, I can. Check with your supervisor."

I then ignored her again, finished getting my badge, and turned around. At that point she was in a conversation with another lady, not looking particularly happy. So I just went about my business and headed across the street to the coliseum. Passed other security guards and police and no issues whatsoever.

It should be a fun day - I'm looking forward to today's convention!

If you are a delegate, stop by the VCDL booth and say, "hello." We are on the 7th Street side of the building, on almost the opposite side from the main entrance on 5th Street.
    =====================
    Last edited by DrMark; 05-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.

RPV hostile to children? $25 Poll Tax on kids

This seems incredibly STOOPID:

RPV Convention: The party of family values is charging for children?
    Is the party of family values shaking down families at the Republican Party of Virginia Convention this weekend in Richmond? Some parents may show up today unaware they will have to pay the piper to get their kiddies in the door.

Reportedly, there have been requests for months to remove the fee for children but someone obviously decided to hold their ground and be hard-nosed about it.

The problem first came to light when State Senator Steve Martin, who is a candidate for Lieutenant Governor, discovered he would have to pay a $15 fee for each grandchild in order to walk up on the convention stage with him. That's $45 just for the grandkids to be with their grandfather ... on stage ... where he's running for higher office ... at the family values Republican Party of Virginia Convention.

But get this: for those who missed the early deadline to sign up children, the fee jumped to $25 each, and that has caught some families off guard.
    Good thing the RPV isn't imposing a per-gun fee!

Late night and early morning this morning. I had to work off of the same sound feed CSPAN was using so I left the gun in the car so I didn't have to go through the inquest. I was also a little worried about having it in case the little difference of opinion from yesterday came up. I accidentally swatted one of the staff and he was saying something in broken English about being hurt....anyway, I didn't need to worry. I guess they read the rules overnight. There were no problems.

There were a LOT of Oc'ers today. The one from yesterday showed up with an AR today and there didn't seem to be any issues. He didn't have a CHP so he carried it unloaded.

This was a nightmare. I hae no idea why they choose such poor venues for events. The Staff only opened a couple of doors and the voting was a couple hours late getting started.

Then the new more efficient ballot scanner wasn't working well. It takes 90 minutes to hand count but 3 hours to scan them....so first they scanned them then hand counted.
    Last edited by peter nap; 05-19-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Centurion

OTR!

Pretty much everyone at the VCDL table was open carrying: me, Bruce, Tess, Bob Sadtler, John Fenter...

Quote Originally Posted by VCDL President View Post
    Pretty much everyone at the VCDL table was open carrying: me, Bruce, Tess, Bob Sadtler, John Fenter...
    Yep....Saturday was a much different day. Grapeshot and Jester were working the table too, OC'ing of course.
    As the day progressed....lots of OC started showing up.... especially outside.

Security was still tight and they were still playing "High Alert"

A couple of our old buddies there:

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

During one of the three hour waits, I was sitting next to my camera on the media section. Bill Janis came by and started joking with two friends.

I walked over and said Excuse me but aren't you Senator Saslaw. He literally roared "I am NOT Senator Saslaw"

Then he realized who I was and pointed his finger at me and said "Here I've been nice to you all these years. I'll get you for that".

OTR!

Marco - I was at the VCDL table on Saturday, though I spent most of the day away from the table handing out stickers. Philip and I and others were open carrying.

I actually thought there was more OC than the last time I attended.
    Last edited by Tess; 05-19-2013 at 12:29 PM.

I had what I thought was the absolute best experience yesterday.

I was standing just inside the front door, handing out GSL stickers, and also had a roll each of "NO GUN CONTROL" and the just-say-no-to-JMDD stickers.

Jeannemarie was, at one point, standing not three feet to my left, talking to a man. She was speaking softly, but I heard the words "gun show" a couple of times. For at least ten minutes, perhaps even 15 or more, we were in the same relative positions.

Throughout this, I had people MOBBING me for stickers. Often several deep. I was freely handing out GSL, and offering the others to whomever wanted them; I didn't have enough hands for all 3.

Several people during the day asked me about the no-JMDD sticker, and I explained. I was amused at the number who had bought her line that she owns a gun and thus is pro-2A. (I'd love to see her load and fire that gun!) One woman at the table, as I was explaining the sticker to another person, said "but she owns a gun!" When I said yes, she says so and I have no reason to doubt her, but she's endorsed by Bloomberg, told me "that was years ago" and when I said "she also carried a gun-control bill" the woman sniffed, tossed her head, and walked away.

Many people asked for specifics, and I was pleased I had read the PAC e-mail detailing the rationale, so I had facts on the tip of my tongue.

Only one negative comment all day. A Jeannemarie person walked by and said "smart people save lives, not guns". He was gone before I had a chance to engage him at all, but you might imagine the two are not mutually exclusive. (And does he think Jeannemarie is "smart"?)

One person wanted to know if it's the person who kills, and not the gun, how a gun can save a life. I had to go very basic in explaining to her the deterrent effect of firearms and confidence.

Since I had absolutely no personal concern at all for who was nominated (other than being able to articulate for VCDL), I was able to just enjoy the outside of the apparent goat-rope inside. I was exhausted as I left, but consider it a great day.

Since I had absolutely no personal concern at all for who was nominated (other than being able to articulate for VCDL), I was able to just enjoy the outside of the apparent goat-rope inside. I was exhausted as I left, but consider it a great day.
    Amen!

I said elsewhere today "Tess, Dale and the others were doing a great job"

There was a sea of GSL stickers.

MARCO....sorry I missed you!

The two best predictors turned out to be a TV Engineer from NOVA, who called it perfectly on Friday evening, and a VCDL member who I had met at the picnic and had mistaken me for another VCDL member.

Anyway, he had it pegged pretty well too but his was based more on what happens to the vote pool of candidates that were eliminated.
    Last edited by peter nap; 05-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast