• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Convention (OC related posts)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since there are a lot of people that will be there as Delegates, I thought I'd start this.

The morning was dull. My wife registered as a Delegate and I picked up my press credentials.

I videoed the outside table setups and briefly talked to Stimpson about the Air Gun law in her county. She assured me the change was in the process.

Mike with the other gun lobby was walking around, angry as usual and telling everyone to vote Jackson.

Things won't really get moving until 2:00 for the Delegates then the Hospitality get togethers will start at 8:30.

COPS EVERYWHERE! they had at least 5 different dog handlers from different venues there going over the buildings.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Since there are a lot of people that will be there as Delegates, I thought I'd start this.

The morning was dull. My wife registered as a Delegate and I picked up my press credentials.

I videoed the outside table setups and briefly talked to Stimpson about the Air Gun law in her county. She assured me the change was in the process.

Mike with the other gun lobby was walking around, angry as usual and telling everyone to vote Jackson.

Things won't really get moving until 2:00 for the Delegates then the Hospitality get togethers will start at 8:30.

COPS EVERYWHERE! they had at least 5 different dog handlers from different venues there going over the buildings.

What other gun lobby? I'm not trying to be obtuse; I really don't know what you're saying.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Probably was referring to the "No more Excuses" gun lobby, which otherwise will not be named.

Sorry, that didn't help.

Grapeshot's PM explained it, however.

I'm all for discretion, but code is beyond me. There are several other gun lobbies.

hafnhaf

on a slightly different subject, (although still about the convention/OC), my wife and I were chatting this morning with some friends before they all left for the convention. i mentioned that it was OK to carry at the convention. one of the others said "yeah, but you cant bring frisbees". we all decided that the powers that be are afraid of a spontaneous indoor skeet match. PULL!!!

a good laugh was had by all, and off they went.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What kind of an organization password protects their "About" page? Sort of defeats the purpose.

TFred

No code Tess...I just didn't remember who or what he was. He is the only other that regularly lobbies the GA. NRA doesn't count.

It's been a 16 hour day and I'm ticked at the City and Republican party. I'll tell about that another day. When I left the hospitality parties were getting into full swing and drunks were all over the streets and both motels.

I have three 64 gig cards full and another partly full....and it starts all over at 6:00 tomorrow morning.

E6chevron

With over 3 memory chips of information, in your possession, I need something else.

What convention are you talking about?

Marco

Thanks Marco!

BTW, I only saw 1 OC'er all day. He got through better than I did but they still followed him around for ten minutes. I guess they decided not to repeat our little spat and just follow him.

You are old news, they had a new fish. None of the folks at the VCDL table (if there was one) OC'ed?

OTR!
One of Del. Bell's assistant's asked me to be a delegate for Rob. I declined for a varitey of reasons, teh two main ones.
The first being, I have no one to watch my kids and I wasn't willing to leave them in the child care area they provided.
Secondly, I'm not voting for Del Bell for AG. I've asked repeatedly for the last three yrs for him to patron a personal defense/rights bill (pro2A), not once did he reply to that request. Yet, he was the patron of a bill to add correction officers to the list of folks that are EXEMPT from needing a CHP.

I hate bills for the only ones, special class public employees.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You are old news, they had a new fish. None of the folks at the VCDL table (if there was one) OC'ed?

OTR!
One of Del. Bell's assistant's asked me to be a delegate for Rob. I declined for a varitey of reasons, teh two main ones.
The first being, I have no one to watch my kids and I wasn't willing to leave them in the child care area they provided.
Secondly, I'm not voting for Del Bell for AG. I've asked repeatedly for the last three yrs for him to patron a personal defense/rights bill (pro2A), not once did he reply to that request. Yet, he was the patron of a bill to add correction officers to the list of folks that are EXEMPT from needing a CHP.

Bob Sadler was the only one at the VCDL table when I went by and he wasn't OCing.
There were a lot of GSL stickers and a couple of CCers but only the one OC that I saw. That will change tomorrow I'm sure.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
From the latest VCDL e-mail, Philip OC'd there:

=====================
Friday afternoon I went to the Republican Convention to pickup my badge and to talk to Bob Sadlter, who was setting up the VCDL booth. I open carried to make sure there wasn't going to be any issues (both open carry and concealed carry are OK at this event).

I no sooner got in the building where the registration tables are, said "hello" to Delegate Brenda Pogge, and an unarmed woman security guard, who was walking by, noticed my gun.

She looked indecisive and didn't say anything, so I ignored her and headed into the registration area to get my badge.

Next thing I know, she is beside me as I'm conversing with the worker at the registration table.

She says, "Sir. Do you know that you can't have that gun in here?"

I said, "I CAN have this gun in here. Perfectly legal. Thanks."

I then ignored here and continued interacting with the registration table. The look on her face was priceless. That hadn't gone according to the script - the part where she tells me something and I simply comply without question.

After standing there indecisively for a little while, she tried again. "You can't have that in here."

"Yes, I can. Check with your supervisor."

I then ignored her again, finished getting my badge, and turned around. At that point she was in a conversation with another lady, not looking particularly happy. So I just went about my business and headed across the street to the coliseum. Passed other security guards and police and no issues whatsoever.

It should be a fun day - I'm looking forward to today's convention!

If you are a delegate, stop by the VCDL booth and say, "hello." We are on the 7th Street side of the building, on almost the opposite side from the main entrance on 5th Street.
=====================

Last edited:

Repeater

RPV hostile to children? $25 Poll Tax on kids

This seems incredibly STOOPID:

RPV Convention: The party of family values is charging for children?
Is the party of family values shaking down families at the Republican Party of Virginia Convention this weekend in Richmond? Some parents may show up today unaware they will have to pay the piper to get their kiddies in the door.

Reportedly, there have been requests for months to remove the fee for children but someone obviously decided to hold their ground and be hard-nosed about it.

The problem first came to light when State Senator Steve Martin, who is a candidate for Lieutenant Governor, discovered he would have to pay a $15 fee for each grandchild in order to walk up on the convention stage with him. That's $45 just for the grandkids to be with their grandfather ... on stage ... where he's running for higher office ... at the family values Republican Party of Virginia Convention.

But get this: for those who missed the early deadline to sign up children, the fee jumped to $25 each, and that has caught some families off guard.

Good thing the RPV isn't imposing a per-gun fee!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Late night and early morning this morning. I had to work off of the same sound feed CSPAN was using so I left the gun in the car so I didn't have to go through the inquest. I was also a little worried about having it in case the little difference of opinion from yesterday came up. I accidentally swatted one of the staff and he was saying something in broken English about being hurt....anyway, I didn't need to worry. I guess they read the rules overnight. There were no problems.

There were a LOT of Oc'ers today. The one from yesterday showed up with an AR today and there didn't seem to be any issues. He didn't have a CHP so he carried it unloaded.

This was a nightmare. I hae no idea why they choose such poor venues for events. The Staff only opened a couple of doors and the voting was a couple hours late getting started.

Then the new more efficient ballot scanner wasn't working well. It takes 90 minutes to hand count but 3 hours to scan them....so first they scanned them then hand counted.

Last edited:

VCDL President

Centurion

OTR!

Pretty much everyone at the VCDL table was open carrying: me, Bruce, Tess, Bob Sadtler, John Fenter...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pretty much everyone at the VCDL table was open carrying: me, Bruce, Tess, Bob Sadtler, John Fenter...

Yep....Saturday was a much different day. Grapeshot and Jester were working the table too, OC'ing of course.
As the day progressed....lots of OC started showing up.... especially outside.

Security was still tight and they were still playing "High Alert"

A couple of our old buddies there: