• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sign at Virginia Beach PD Office

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just spoke to Sgt Minehan, VBPD, and he said "the building is owned by the city, so just like movie theaters can ban weapons, so can we" (paraphrase). I said no sir, that is not the case, let me read you the code. He interrupted, and said he is not going to argue with me, and that is the policy.

Oh boy.

Send him a witten request, ask him to restate that conversation - maybe that will give them enough rope.

You do know that you can record telephone conversation where you are one of the parties in Va., right?
http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.tel.tape.law.html

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Esanders2008

I'm rapidly running out of time for this week-end = GOP Convention and related. Might have time later tonight - if not will try to do something early next week.

Thank you bunches! I'm wondering if I should call to schedule an appointment to speak with the police chief himself?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just spoke to Sgt Minehan, VBPD, and he said "the building is owned by the city, so just like movie theaters can ban weapons, so can we" (paraphrase). I said no sir, that is not the case, let me read you the code. He interrupted, and said he is not going to argue with me, and that is the policy.

Oh boy.

Truely the horns of a dilema - to either educate them (presuming you and the city attorney/city council disagree with my analysis of the sign and the action behind it not violating 15.2-915) and have the sign taken down or to take them to court in the hopes that a judge will see things other than as I have, and (if sucessful) have the sign taken down. Option #1 looks like a lot of work is going to be needed. Option #2 will fill the pockets of an attorney regardless of the outcome but provides only a moral "feel-good" feeling to you, and if you win getting back your money used to hire the attorney.

Sgt Minehan most likely is not authorized to speak for the department regarding the legal theories guiding the policies of the department. When you are discussing the sign issue with the Chief you might also inform him that Sgt Minehan needs to work up a better brush-off line so that he does not make the department look like a bunch of jackasses.

stay safe.

Thundar

Send him a witten request, ask him to restate that conversation - maybe that will give them enough rope.

You do know that you can record telephone conversation where you are one of the parties in Va., right?
http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.tel.tape.law.html

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Better yet. The good SGT said "that is the policy" FOIA him and ask for a written copy of "the policy".

Smart phones record well when you use another phone as a speaker phone.

Esanders2008

Glockster

And while "we're" at it I'd like to mention that there are four precincts in VA BH, and each of them have a similar sign (i.e., language the same, but physical sign and locations vary) and some are inside of the precincts.

When you spoke with the Sgt., did he indicate if he was attached to the 1st Precinct, or to the "headquarters" staff. That would indicate if the Sgt. reports to the Lt. who reports to the Capt., or if he was in the Crime Prevention Unit or Public Affairs, or any of several other parts of the VBPD located at that particular building.

Esanders2008

And while "we're" at it I'd like to mention that there are four precincts in VA BH, and each of them have a similar sign (i.e., language the same, but physical sign and locations vary) and some are inside of the precincts.

When you spoke with the Sgt., did he indicate if he was attached to the 1st Precinct, or to the "headquarters" staff. That would indicate if the Sgt. reports to the Lt. who reports to the Capt., or if he was in the Crime Prevention Unit or Public Affairs, or any of several other parts of the VBPD located at that particular building.

He was the duty sgt at bldg 11

Blk97F150

Oh boy.

Another police officer who doesn't know the law?? I'm shocked.... SHOCKED I tell ya... :eek:

Ok, not really....

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
So they ask you to leave it in the car, and if you don't, advise the desk officer.

Does anyone know first-hand what happens when you advise the desk officer that you're carrying?

We expect them to say "you cannot" but unless I missed, has anyone heard that directly?