Thread: Not sure how I feel about this...

Not sure how I feel about this...

...Violation of uniform protocal to hold the umbrella?
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Unfortunately, the job of Palace Guard now includes keping the raindrops off the head of the head of state and any of his invited guests.

But look at that Marine's face. I'll bet he's saying to himself something along the lines of "Talk as long as you like, you #%$@&*%!, I can stand here holding this thing, without changing hands, longer than you can play in the rain until someone with better sense comes along and takes you inside." Well, eitrher that or "Gee, I wonder if he'll start melting if I let a drop fall on his head? No, better not find out 'cause if he does some poor swabby will have to come clean the excrement off the walkway."

The rules were rexaled a few years ago to allow both enlisted and officers, not in formation, wearing Class A (dress uniform with uniform blouse worn)or Class B (dress uniform without uniform blouse - think "business casual" for values that mean no suit jacket/sports coat) uniforms - to carry umbrellas or small packages. They are supposed to carry one or the other in the left hand so that a salute can still be rendered. My mental picture is of an enlisted Marine, holding an umbrella, saluting a Marine officer, also holding an umbrella, with the fiollowing exchange: "Semper Fi, eh wot?" responded to with "Ooh rah! Raw-ther*."

stay safe.

* - you have to imagine a very upper-class posh accent
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The rules were rexaled a few years ago to allow both enlisted and officers, not in formation, wearing Class A (dress uniform with uniform blouse worn)or Class B (dress uniform without uniform blouse - think "business casual" for values that mean no suit jacket/sports coat) uniforms - to carry umbrellas or small packages. They are supposed to carry one or the other in the left hand so that a salute can still be rendered. My mental picture is of an enlisted Marine, holding an umbrella, saluting a Marine officer, also holding an umbrella, with the fiollowing exchange: "Semper Fi, eh wot?" responded to with "Ooh rah! Raw-ther*."

stay safe.

* - you have to imagine a very upper-class posh accent
    Ive read into this a bit and that only applies to female soldiers/officers/etc. However, the one person legally allowed to request this "service" is the president. And even if requested, the marine is under no obligation to grant the request. I am reading that two marines were asked and only one agreed.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Banned
    That is a despicable use of the military.

If he wants to play King, he should take on lackey staff to do those menial chores, not abuse a professional warfighter.

When speaking to that arrogant boob-in-chief, I'd replace the i in Semper Fi with a u.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    That is a despicable use of the military.

If he wants to play King, he should take on lackey staff to do those menial chores, not abuse a professional warfighter.

When speaking to that arrogant boob-in-chief, I'd replace the i in Semper Fi with a u.
    I would have smacked his majesty upside the head with that umbrella. What a POS!

No Democrat Congresscritters, no Congressional pages, no Secret Service about to serve as hat rack and umbrella holder?

I wonder if anyone can find a photograph of Bush or Reagan requesting such service, or ... holding their own umbrellas? Or for that matter, going without rather than making such a gaffe?

Banned
    Someone is actually going to suggest that a lowly Marine was ordered to hold an umbrella to keep his commander dry is a UCMJ issue?

Well, we should send the commander to gitmo then.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Someone is actually going to suggest that a lowly Marine was ordered to hold an umbrella to keep his commander dry is a UCMJ issue?

Well, we should send the commander to gitmo then.
    I will buy the fuel, when can he leave.
    Last edited by zack991; 05-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,