• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red Baron Bike

Redbaron007

My kind of bike! ;)

[video=youtube;HYNT0Ef6-qE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNT0Ef6-qE[/video]

Fallschirjmäger

That thing's got to be deadly accelerating out of a wrong-way corner*.

*spoiler text ->This gave the Camel tremendous manoeuvrability. Coupled with the engine's torque the Camel had a lightening fast turn to the right. In fact it could turn a three quarter turn to the right in the same time as it could make a quarter turn to the left. In the hands of an experienced pilot the Camel was probably the most potent fighter in the allied arsenal.

mikeyb

*spoiler text ->This gave the Camel tremendous manoeuvrability. Coupled with the engine's torque the Camel had a lightening fast turn to the right. In fact it could turn a three quarter turn to the right in the same time as it could make a quarter turn to the left. In the hands of an experienced pilot the Camel was probably the most potent fighter in the allied arsenal.

fyi, you're confusing the Red Baron's planes (Albatros and Fokker) with the Sopwith Camel. ;)

Fallschirjmäger

Err, no.
Both Fokker and Sopwith used radial engines which is the point. Due to the torque produced with a radial engine it is much easier to turn in the direction opposite of the propeller's spin than the other way around. Who's driving the plane isn't important.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Err, no.
Both Fokker and Sopwith used radial engines which is the point. Due to the torque produced with a radial engine it is much easier to turn in the direction opposite of the propeller's spin than the other way around. Who's driving the plane isn't important.

I can't imagine coming out of a wrong-way corner and having to accelerate with that engine.

I do love the sound of those radial engines. You can tell them apart long before they get to you.