• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

beginner gear.

Injunn

names injunn, new here and new to guns. I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, sorry if it isn't. Anyways a little info i currently have a gen 4 glock 23 with stock sights, I'm thinking that I'm going to go with trijicon (however they are spelled) night sights. If there is any issues with these please let me know. Also I was wondering what I need for starting cleaning supplies. Any brands specifically I should avoid? or look for? Also what would be the best place in the sandston/highland springs area to shop at? thanks for any help that can be given.

INJUNN

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. IIRC we have already gone over the join VCDL, come to breakfast/dinner stuff, so will not repeat it here.

Plastic (or plastic coated) cleaning rods will be less harsh on your barrel. You need a rod that is a couple of inches longer than the barrel so you can get swabs/patches all the way through. Aluminum is probably harsher than steel - go figure!

Do you want to go with "lintless" cotton patches or flannel which admits it has lint? (Stay away from synthetics - they just don't seem to work and some will actually melt if you use them with the wrong CLP - see below for explanation of CLP). Do you want to use plastic or brass for your jag and patch holder? Or do you want to just go with a jag or with just a patch holder? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Simple Green is pretty much death to Glocks and anything else that has aluminum, so stay away from it. You can put your Glock in the top rack of the dishwasher, but unless you are a bachelor you might not want to let anybody of the wife/girlfriend persuasion know you did.

The acronym CLP (cleaner/lubricant/protectant) is also the brand name of one variety of that stuff. It's billed as an "all-in-one" product. How it knows which function you want it to do is a mystery. There are products specifically to dissolve copper, to neutralize nitrates/phosphates/ring around the collar. Some folks swear by one brand at at all the others. You will have to decide if you want to go the specific-function or all-in-one route.

Stay away from WD-40 - it will leave a varnish-like scum behind. 3-in-1 oil is too fine and will not provide lubrication that lasts. Be careful if you go with Ballistol - you might find youself using it for all of the other things they say it can do/is good for (mostly spot on).

You can go to Wal-Mart and buy one of the basic cleaning kits and be good to go, although you ought to stock up on patches which you will go through quickly. Do you insist on a new, clean patch every time the cleaning rod goes down the barrel, or will you be in the camp that says that if you swish them around in the cleaner all the dirt is rinsed off so you can use it again? (Those are generally the folks that tell you to let your cleaner sit for a few minutes so that all the suspended crud settles to the bottom, and then not to dip the patch all the way to the bottom where the crud is.)

One more thing - unless you live alone you might want to rethink any ideas of cleaning you gun on the dining room table, in the kitchen sink, anywhere inside the house because the fumes stink up the whole place. There are folks here who could tell you stories about stuff like that.

Now, sit back and wait for everybody to tell you why everything I wrote is wrong and what you really need to know/need to buy/need to do.

stay safe.

Injunn

thanks skidmark, you everything answered almost everything i needed! thanks for all the info ill be visiting wall mart in the morning.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have cleaned my guns for years with hot soapy water.

Black powder guns need hot soapy water to wash away the corrosive salts. Some of the more modern smokeless powder guns do not fare as well when exposed to hot soapy water.

He's a newbie and probably did not know 1) you are almost as old as dirt, v.2.0 (after the dinosaurs); 2) carry BP percussion pistols because you can; and 3) actually think that most folks do not know #1 and #2.

stay safe.

Smitty757

names injunn, new here and new to guns. I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, sorry if it isn't. Anyways a little info i currently have a gen 4 glock 23 with stock sights, I'm thinking that I'm going to go with trijicon (however they are spelled) night sights. If there is any issues with these please let me know. Also I was wondering what I need for starting cleaning supplies. Any brands specifically I should avoid? or look for? Also what would be the best place in the sandston/highland springs area to shop at? thanks for any help that can be given.

INJUNN

Welcome man, I live in the Highland springs area and unfortunately there aren't any good shops over here in the east end. The best place in the richmond area would have to be colonial shooting range out on broad street. PM me if you ever want to meet up and head out there and shoot.

gunslinger493

Break Free CLP and REM oil are very good lubricants, have used both for years.

Bore snakes are excellent and they come in several different calibers.

Gun scrubber is great for cleaning metal parts, but use it outside, it stinks! I will spray some down a barrel before I run a patch through it! Just be sure to keep it away from plastic parts (like grips) and wood. It's a pretty good solvent.

WalkingWolf

Black powder guns need hot soapy water to wash away the corrosive salts. Some of the more modern smokeless powder guns do not fare as well when exposed to hot soapy water.

He's a newbie and probably did not know 1) you are almost as old as dirt, v.2.0 (after the dinosaurs); 2) carry BP percussion pistols because you can; and 3) actually think that most folks do not know #1 and #2.

stay safe.

Actually I use hot soapy water on all of my guns. I found out years ago with my issued M-16 that after a day on the range going through several bandoleers of ammo. That hot water used before the military canned oil cleaned the gun much faster and perfectly clean, to white glove inspection.

To this day my cleaning is quick of any weapon as long as I wash it first, dry it, then lightly oil it. Washing while it sounds extreme also gets the salts out from the hands, and a light oiling will last for months as long as the firearms are stored in a dry location. I would think that the plastic guns would be perfect for hot soapy water. Also once a gun is dry, warming the gun will open the pores to let the oil in. This should only be done on all metal guns, using a hairdryer on a Glock could deform it.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
To the best of my knowledge, hot, soapy water will not damage any firearm and I sometimes use it when there is a lot of fresh carbon or other grunge on the gun. It will, however, remove any oil or grease that was on the firearm. Just be sure to get it completely dry and then re-oil everything.

ETA: I like BreakFree CLP because I find it works just as well as the "dedicated" products and I don't have to keep a bunch of different products around. However, there are a lot of good products out there and as long as you stick to something made for guns, you won't go wrong.

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

I recently started using strikehold, which is an all-in-one cleaner,lubricant, and protector, it seems to be working well enough. And the smell, while moderately strong, doesn't tend to run everyone out of the room like some other cleaners do.

WalkingWolf

To the best of my knowledge, hot, soapy water will not damage any firearm and I sometimes use it when there is a lot of fresh carbon or other grunge on the gun. It will, however, remove any oil or grease that was on the firearm. Just be sure to get it completely dry and then re-oil everything.

ETA: I like BreakFree CLP because I find it works just as well as the "dedicated" products and I don't have to keep a bunch of different products around. However, there are a lot of good products out there and as long as you stick to something made for guns, you won't go wrong.

I carried a smith for several years, after shooting a couple hundred rounds on the range it cleaned up nicely with hot soap and water. Followed by a hairdryer until the gun was warm enough to not have any water left. The internals were then lightly oiled, while the outer was treated to paste wax. Despite a few years of holster wear the gun always looked new, and running a swab down the barrel was white glove clean.

Hot water will not remove leading though, for that I use balistol, but I have had little problems with leading over the years. A seasoned barrel just does not seem to lead, using petroleum lubes in the barrels removes seasoning. I use beeswax to treat barrel lands between cleanings. Run a BW treated mop through a warm barrel, and your gun will resist leading and clean much easier.