• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem with Open Carry: "... the gun went off."

EMNofSeattle

well, looking at the holsters in the video... it may be probable. what specific model of gun does Winchster police issue? Glock 22, 21, 19?

never seen a cop do it, but some people will use "universal size holsters" or a holster too big for the gun... like a glock 17 in a 21 holster. if that's the case then a kid could probably get a finger in there.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This thread is misleading!!!!

LEO/Security/Uniformed Mil aren't considered OC'ers.
Secondly, an OC'er in VA wouldn't find thenselves in the same situation as they are prohibted by law/s from OC'ing on school property.

I can't believe we have folks blaming the gun/holster in this thread. That's like blaming forks for folks being obese.
IMHO, plan and simple anyway you slice it, it's the officers' fault, as he failed to secure his firearm.

Amen to all of this.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
My guess here, and its strictly a WAG without any of the details, is that the officer had the child sit in the seat, closest to the window. The officer then sat next to him so that they kid couldn't get up - thus exposing his weapon side to the kid.

Officers should sit with "prisoners" (so to speak) on the opposite site of his weapon. He probably just didn't consider the possibility that the kid would do this.

Again, just a guess.

half_life1052

That's what we in I.T. would call Foobar.

The Navy calls it what it is: FUBAR.

Being Navy trained in troubleshooting (ET) and currently employed in IT, I am not quite ready to call it "user error". I have half-split it down to existing somewhere between the keyboard and the chair though. I think the other services called it something else. ID-ten-T problem (eye-dee-ten-tee) but I am not sure what that stands for :banana: I have a baseline Fobus kydex holster and I couldn't get a childs fingers into the trigger guard with the pistol still in its holster.