• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MS becomes open carry July 1, when do you carry open or concealed

mikeyb

On July 1 those of us in Mississippi will have the option to open carry. As a conceal carry permit holder I will have the option to carry however I choose. What criteria do some of you use to decide when to carry open or concealed.

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/o...pi-after-july-first-one-mans-personal-policy/

short answer: Whenever and wherever legal, open. This site is called OpenCarry, so figure the majority will be saying open carry everywhere legally permitted.

wrearick

I open carry for the most part because I am more comfortable with my OC holster. I choose to CC when:
1. In a crowd situation (hockey/baseball game, concert) to increase my level of retention control
2. If it is cold/wet out and I want to protect my weapon from the elements
3. In places that are posted as no handguns that I may need to pass through (think mall, some stores allow weapons but the common areas between the stores are posted.
4. When going to a number of places and one or more I may not wish to OC I will CC the whole time.

tattedupboy

What does the law change? Unless I'm missing something, I thought Mississippi was already an open carry state.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DCriswell

By the State Constitution Mississippi has always been an open carry state. but the attorney general and some judges had defined it out. This year the state legislature defined some words that does not allow the unconstitutional definitions of the AG.

Here is a more in-depth explanation. http://www.mississippigunnews.com/how-the-state-of-mississippi-became-an-open-carry-state/

I realize this is an open carry forum and that is partly why i wanted to ask this question. I've open carried in the past as a LEO but have not for years and it seems there are some pretty strong views on both sides between the open carry people and the concealed carry folks. There is no doubt that open carry is allowed by the MS constitution so that to me is not even a point to argue. And if anyone chooses to carry openly then that is their right and I support them completely.

My biggest concern about open carry is the attention. I remember when I carried off duty the sheriff told us to always wear our badge next to our weapon to prevent unnecessary calls and I'm not sure if I want to draw the attention that open carry would get.

I am trying to gather opinions so I can make a decision about when and where i might open carry and when concealed.

Wolfgang1952

I don’t live in Miss, but I live in your neighbor to the South, La. Hear we have had OC since the late 1800. I used to be a Leo also down in the New Orleans area. I’ve OCed now going for 10 years. I ride a Motorcycle everywhere I go. I have only had a couple of instances, and most of that was with uninformed Leo’s as to the law.
What I see with Miss is the wording of your law. At least we had our politicians do the wording right. Section 1 Art 11 of the La Constitution states The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny. They had to do a little rewrite of section 1 art 11 back in Nov. They had to include fundamental and strict scrutiny. The way it was written was. Section 1 Art 11 The right to h=keen and bear arms shall not be abridged, the state has the right to restrict concealment but not open carry. That’s why if you want to conceal you have to get a permit, and nothing to OC. I will NOT OC in Miss until you get some wording some words changed.

snatale42

On July 1 those of us in Mississippi will have the option to open carry. As a conceal carry permit holder I will have the option to carry however I choose. What criteria do some of you use to decide when to carry open or concealed.

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/o...pi-after-july-first-one-mans-personal-policy/

Personally the only "criteria" I care about is whether it's legal or not. But bad wording can hurt depending on how bad it is. My home state of MA is a good example, OC is legal with permit, but it's not something you commonly see. In the Western part of the state (country) you probably wouldn't get a second look. But do that in the Eastern part of the state and wait for all hell to brake loose! The worst part is many of the cops KNOW that it's legal, but discourage it anyways. There was a 2A rally a couple months ago in downtown Boston at the state house and the cops said "We know you CAN open carry, but please don't" Of course nobody did! unreal. It's a perfect example of why you have to when legal. The other problem is MA is a may issue state, while a majority of cities and towns are shall issue by practice, the power to abuse it is still there, so people don't want to piss off their CLEO.

Eeyore

When I lived in VA, I learned to OC because (at the time) it was illegal to CC in a restaurant that served alcohol. Given the choice between going unarmed or just uncovering, I went with OC. That law has since changed, but it opened my eyes to a whole world I never knew existed. I OCed occasionally in MS before that ludicrous AG Opinion was published, and I expect to resume OCing on 1 July with more-or-less the same frequency I used to. I've never considered myself much of an "activist;" although I'm happy to make a 2nd Amendment statement and educate the public, that's not the primary reason I OC.

So to answer your question, obviously, legality is the overriding criterion. Beyond that, some of the criteria I use include:

- Clothing. Some clothing makes CC difficult (or at least uncomfortable), some makes OC difficult. I'll choose a carry mode based on how easy/difficult it is to conceal and draw. So far, I use only belt holsters (tuckable IWB or OWB) and I try to keep no more than 1 layer of clothing between my hand and the weapon. In winter, I may wear an OWB holster under my coat, which could mean I'd be CC outdoors and OC indoors.

- Location/type of event. In certain situations, I don't want to attract attention/focus or make people uncomfortable, so I'll CC. When it's somebody else's "big day," it's bad manners to disrupt or distract from that. (For example, say I was going to a college graduation* or a wedding. Notwithstanding the issue of clothing, I wouldn't choose to OC because it might distract people's focus from the occasion.)

- Requirement for vigilance. OCing imposes a greater responsibility to maintain SA than CC. Will I be in a crowded area, making it more difficult to keep track of everybody and requiring that I constantly "watch my 6?" Do I expect my attention will be elsewhere a significant part of the time (browsing a museum, shopping, etc.)? If so, I'll usually CC.

- Deterrence. I live close to the tracks, both literally and figuratively. When I take my evening walk with my wife, I typically OC so any of the "gangstas" cruising by know that we're not to be hassled. In this case, the deterrence criterion wins out over the others (unless it's jacket weather).

- Possibility of LEO hassle. If I don't want to risk a possible encounter with LEOs (be they well-meaning but ignorant, or not-so-well-meaning), either because I can't afford a delay or because the "scene" would seriously detract from my plans for the day, I'll CC. Otherwise, I'll consider OC. Given the recent changes to Mississippi law, I'm curious to see how well-informed the LEOs are starting 1 July.

These are just my criteria. Others may disagree.

=======================
* Currently not legal to CC or OC on campus. Appears that OC would be legal after 1 July. Ditto for a church wedding.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I open carry for the most part because I am more comfortable with my OC holster. I choose to CC when:
1. In a crowd situation (hockey/baseball game, concert) to increase my level of retention control
2. If it is cold/wet out and I want to protect my weapon from the elements
3. In places that are posted as no handguns that I may need to pass through (think mall, some stores allow weapons but the common areas between the stores are posted.
4. When going to a number of places and one or more I may not wish to OC I will CC the whole time.

1. Get a better holster, retention, retention, retention.
2. I carry an all steel pistol. When it gets wet/dirty, I clean it.
3. Alter your route, you may have to conceal, you do not have to give them your money/support.
4. Always OC. It gives the general population the opportunity to see Normal People going happily on their way legally armed.

I was stationed in Vicksburg for many years and I loved Mississippi. I am very glad to see the government attempt to clarify OC and carry in general. I did conceal while I was there. I now live in Washington State and OC is common. I take great advantage of this and carry openly at ALL times now. Wear it and wear it often.

Aknazer

I conceal when I put on a jacket that happens to cover the gun. I open carry whenever I don't have a jacket on that covers the gun. I "could" OC all the time, but I'm personally not comfortable walking around with my drop-leg holster on even though I find it to be more comfortable than one that sits on your hip.

david.ross

I started carrying via open carry, but take this advice. Always open carry where legal no matter the circumstances unless you're not welcomed by a private land owner. If not welcomed by the owner of a private business, tell them how you are a firm believer in civil rights and walk out. In my case, I've been thanked by war vets for using the rights they fought for in the war which I convey to them. I tell them how they're throwing mud in the face of the vets who've thanked me and leave them at that, walking out the door.

4angrybadgers

OC has been constitutionally protected in Mississippi for quite a while. July 1st just brings changes to the concealed carry laws that remove murky language, but anyone who actually reads the state constitution and associated statutes knows that OC has been distinct from CC for some time.

The confusion has arisen from a meandering concurring opinion in a case from the 90s(?) that had nothing to do with the definition of concealment; and an AG opinion that used such tortured logic a high school teacher would have spanked the AG for publishing it.

To answer the question posed by the OP, I try to OC more than CC, but there are factors that push me to conceal. Location, weather, whether I'm carrying children (it's hard to have good SA when I'm carrying my son and holding my daughter's hand while trying to navigate a parking lot), etc. I fully admit I don't OC every place I could, but it's a tradeoff I make at times. That said, I am armed everywhere I legally can be.

<snip>
* Currently not legal to CC or OC on campus. Appears that OC would be legal after 1 July. Ditto for a church wedding.
Actually, if you have the "enhancement" for a MS Firearms Permit, college campuses and churches are removed from the list of prohibited places. This seems to be the best canned summary of how that enhancement changes things. http://www.noodls.com/viewNoodl/124...ands-concealed-carry-rights-for-gun-permit-ho

Q-Tip

Unfortunately, after July 1 it will still be illegal to OC on a school campus because of another statute that forbids carry of any type on campus. However, the enhanced permit is still good to go for CC.

Eeyore

Need a cite

Unfortunately, after July 1 it will still be illegal to OC on a school campus because of another statute that forbids carry of any type on campus. However, the enhanced permit is still good to go for CC.

Are you referring to the federal GFSZ law (which applies to specific types of campi, not "any type of campus")? Or is there a state law?

bushwacker

well this realy sucks for tx folks now we are part of an even smaller number of states that doesn't have oc of handguns thank goodness there are states like ny , ca ,fl , so texas won't be so lonely. come back come back ms we gonna MISS YA (pun). no really way to go Mississippi. just three more states to go and then I can oc my handgun down I-10 from atlantic to pacific and those states are florida,kommiefornia, and tex ass.

repeal1968gca

MISSISSIPPI NOW FULLY OPEN CARRY STATE! Fix oc.org's map please

Mississippi is now a "gold" open carry state. Please fix the opencarry.org map accordingly as no stupid and insulting permit is required any longer :banana:. The state supreme court, on August 29th, UNANIMOUSLY dumped the ridiculous ruling by Hinds county circus judge Winston Kidd.

What is wrong with Texas when it comes to open carry?

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...holds-state-s-open-carry-gun-law-2-33-update-

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Are you referring to the federal GFSZ law...

Isn't that the same law which has, statistically speaking, made it approximately 10 times more likely to die in a shooting spree inside one of those "gun-free zones" than outside of it?

By the way: Congrats, Mississippi! Welcome to the free world!

As for me here in Colorado, I open carry most of the time. The few exceptions are where it's prohibited (certain posted locations which I must frequent) or locations where it would be contrary to the overall ambiance of the attendees, such as at a formal theatrical production. At those times, I CC. The only time I No-C is if I'm headed somewhere it's prohibited, and I don't want to leave it in my vehicle.

Last edited:

First Shirt

Reinvent the meaning of the law. . .

Our US Constitution is supposed to be the Supreme Law of the Land. Sadly, our political hacks have spent decades obscuring the law, or simply reinventing the meaning of whatever does not suit them and their pals. We all know what the 2nd Amendment says. But, what does it mean?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

One word has been subjected to massive assault; Militia. What does that word mean? The original meaning of Militia during the time the Amendment was written and passed was the individual citizen. You and I are the Militia. Does anyone think that there was a formal, organized, State approved Militia in the 1700's? Of course not. We The People are the Militia. Please find me more than 4 Representatives or Senators that can properly define the intent of the Amendment.

The point of all this is that it should be a moot point. The citizens right to go armed "shall not be infringed." I wonder how many unconstitutional Gun Laws exist in the USA. Tens of thousands? All the restrictions on carry (open or concealed) in Mississippi are a mine field waiting to blow your foot off. What does each and every LEO think is the citizens right? Now, add all the County Attorneys to that problem.

I carry concealed almost always. What I really want to do is be able to follow the law and open carry because the more of us that do that the faster we will approach societal normalcy regarding firearms and their rightful place in our country.

Last edited: