• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

man shots self while bowling.

Da Rat Bastid

Walter, they're callin' the cops. Put the piece away.

MARK IT ZERO!

[video=youtube;jw6_f5gci28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6_f5gci28[/video]
(NSFW language)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Last edited:

HP995

Pocket, revolver, discharged when the bowling ball bumped it.

Sounds like NAA? I wonder if he had it properly positioned (safety notch), or if it was resting on a round due to his own fault.

I'm shopping for one of these right now, so if any of them are prone to AD when bumped I'd like to know. Not big on bowling though!

WalkingWolf

Considering there were witnesses I might have to admit there is a actual case of a gun ND without a finger on the trigger. :uhoh:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Pocket, revolver, discharged when the bowling ball bumped it.

Sounds like NAA? I wonder if he had it properly positioned (safety notch), or if it was resting on a round due to his own fault.

I'm shopping for one of these right now, so if any of them are prone to AD when bumped I'd like to know. Not big on bowling though!

check CA "approved" handgun list .... they require drop testing .... horizontal, vertical, etc...hammer cocked ...

HP995

Media alert: Seems like MSN is trying to make a trend of stories of bumbling gun owners who shoot themselves. On their version of this story they had several links to related stories of other incidents, all with disparaging titles. Trying to portray gun owners as stupid and running any mishap they can find as national news.

check CA "approved" handgun list .... they require drop testing .... horizontal, vertical, etc...hammer cocked ...

This might be an issue with the hammer not cocked. The gun can discharge without a trigger pull if it's accidentally left resting on a live round rather than a safety notch, because there's no transfer bar type safety. All it takes is a little pressure, not much, if there's contact, so a bump or fall can definitely do it. Maybe the bowling guy missed the safety notch when loading and had it sitting on a round, operator error.

On the other hand, NAA previously had an issue with double discharge (two rounds going off when the hammer fell on one round, and of course only one of those would be in line with the barrel) which they attributed to a certain brand of ammo. If a round untouched by the firing pin in a revolver can discharge, to me that's strange. That's why I'm curious about this particular AD!

WalkingWolf

(snip)
On the other hand, NAA previously had an issue with double discharge (two rounds going off when the hammer fell on one round, and of course only one of those would be in line with the barrel) which they attributed to a certain brand of ammo. If a round untouched by the firing pin in a revolver can discharge, to me that's strange. That's why I'm curious about this particular AD!

That would be the percussion BP model, and chain fire happens with cap and bullet type guns IF the bullet does not seal the cylinder, or the percussion caps are loose fitting. Should not happen with a rimfire cartridge model.

HP995

Thanks Wolf, I didn't know about that percussion issue. That type sounds fun!

But I think the rimfire models are affected, with this note from the company:

http://northamericanarms.com/product_advisory

NAA has recently learned that the use of PMC .22 caliber ammunition (Magnum and LR) may affect the performance of its revolvers. Specifically, NAA has become aware of a phenomenon where an inadvertent, double-discharge (two rounds simultaneously discharging, one aligned with the barrel and the other out of battery) may occur when PMC Brand ammunition is used in NAA .22 caliber revolvers. ... At this time, NAA recommends that its customers, owners and users of NAA .22 revolvers DO NOT USE ANY PMC .22 CALIBER ammunition (Magnum and/or LR) in any model of NAA revolvers.

I wanted a gun this size, but I think I'm going to hold off on them until I find out more.

Defrock

Is this possible with today's semi-auto handguns with slides? What about 1911, since it has a hammer?

It sounds like, from the replies in this thread, that the gentleman did not have his revolver properly configured, is that correct?

WalkingWolf

Thanks Wolf, I didn't know about that percussion issue. That type sounds fun!

But I think the rimfire models are affected, with this note from the company:

http://northamericanarms.com/product_advisory

I wanted a gun this size, but I think I'm going to hold off on them until I find out more.

Interesting, I cannot imagine how a round could fire out of battery, with a properly constructed round. The only possible way I can think of is if that ammo rim was extra thick and rearward movement of the cylinder crushed the rim out of battery. Out of battery is pretty common with BP, when not properly loaded, that is why I thought it might be the BP model. I do know if a unfired round in a rifle does not eject, and the bolt goes forward the extractor might fire a round by striking the rim. I have never had it happen but actually saw it happen on a range, the shooter was trying to clear a Ruger 10/22.

HP995

Defrock: It sounds like, from the replies in this thread, that the gentleman did not have his revolver properly configured, is that correct?

Hard to say! Even my assumption that this was an NAA mini is a guess, but it sounds like one. I'm also going to guess that he didn't have it properly in the safety notch, because the bullet was found on the floor and there was no mention of the gun cylinder flying out or anything like that. But that is only speculation.

WalkingWolf: Interesting, I cannot imagine how a round could fire out of battery, with a properly constructed round. The only possible way I can think of is if that ammo rim was extra thick and rearward movement of the cylinder crushed the rim out of battery.

That's a good theory to explain it! They've expanded the advisory to any ammo made in Philippines, so it can show up under other brands sometimes. I think I'm going to pursue a different type of pocket gun for the time being.