• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your opinion on this?

Firearms Iinstuctor

The LEOs were wrong even to make contact as it was plain that no laws were broken. IMHO they were doing the whole why are you here on my street BS.

The camera person should not have stayed around as long as he did and should have left as soon as they said he hadn't broke any laws.

The longer you talk, the more you say , the bigger the chance of something going wrong.

F

Fenix

The LEOs were wrong even to make contact as it was plain that no laws were broken. IMHO they were doing the whole why are you here on my street BS.

The camera person should not have stayed around as long as he did and should have left as soon as they said he hadn't broke any laws.

The longer you talk, the more you say , the bigger the chance of something going wrong.

I've watched some of their videos and this is what they do apparently. They taunt cops, without breaking the law. Some of their videos they actually do break the law and get mad about it and then continue to taunt the cops. It's kind of sad that even though some of them in states that allow open carry, they exercise that right and taunt the cops, which doesn't look good for us.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I've watched some of their videos and this is what they do apparently. They taunt cops, without breaking the law. Some of their videos they actually do break the law and get mad about it and then continue to taunt the cops. It's kind of sad that even though some of them in states that allow open carry, they exercise that right and taunt the cops, which doesn't look good for us.

Yes some people do deliberately go out to taunt police to get a bit of a rise so they can put their videos on youtube. But if this is done in parts of the country or parts of a state where the police are acting outside of the law and abusing the rights of citizens, I say good for them... get as many of those videos as you can to shine the light of truth on the dark side of "law enforcement".

The officers in this video clearly do not know the law in their state. And the really sad thing is that when confronted by someone who does, they are very reluctant to admit this and back off. To do so surrenders a measure of power and authority to their employers; We the People.

eye95

Yes some police do deliberately go out to entrap people to get them to commit a crime to raise their arrest and conviction rates. But if this is done in parts of the country or parts of a state where criminals are abusing the citizens, I say good for them... get as many of those arrests and convictions as you can to shine the light of truth on the dark side of "criminals."

Not.

SouthernBoy

Yes some police do deliberately go out to entrap people to get them to commit a crime to raise their arrest and conviction rates. But if this is done in parts of the country or parts of a state where criminals are abusing the citizens, I say good for them... get as many of those arrests and convictions as you can to shine the light of truth on the dark side of "criminals."

Not.

I would think you would know from where I was coming with my post. But I'll clarify for the benefit of anyone who missed it.

I abhor public servants (our employees) who take advantage of the power and authority we lend them to make our lives miserable. In particular I detest those who are charged with law enforcement, acting under the color of law to break the law. It is these sorts of servants that I have no problem with recording, outing, shining lights on, and generally making THEIR lives miserable.

That is all I meant. And BTW, I did get your rephrasing of my post... just in case you may have thought otherwise.

Last edited:

eye95

And I detest anyone who provokes another into doing something wrong. If you catch them doing something wrong, toast them. Do not motivate them to do something wrong, or you are just as despicable as the wrongdoer. That goes for LEOs and non-LEOs alike.

Just in case someone didn't get that from my post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Thundar

And I detest anyone who provokes another into doing something wrong. If you catch them doing something wrong, toast them. Do not motivate them to do something wrong, or you are just as despicable as the wrongdoer. That goes for LEOs and non-LEOs alike.

<o>

+1
Excuse the English language butchery.

Entrapper is as bad as the entrappee.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Clearly the citizen was not trying to trap the LEOS. The camera was in full view, however I do believe he was trying to prove there ignorance of the law and I believe he did a great job in that regard.
Hopefully LEOS across the country will learn the laws they are paid to enforce, not just in regards to the 2A but all laws.

CCJ

F

Fenix

<o>

I do agree with this.

I do also think that LEOs that become LEOs for power and not to enforce the law are trying to compensate for not being loved as a child.

But as I did state in my first reply post, there are alot of videos that "CopBlock" posts where the LEOs are actually correct when stating the law because the person behind the camera did actually commit a crime. The most annoying part is that they refer to themselves as agents.
I would post links but I went through so many of their videos agreeing and disagreeing.
Just a warning though, "CopBlock" isn't just one channel, there are different branches... such as Virginia Cop Block, Ohio Cop Block, etc.

eye95

My comments were prompted by the observation that "They taunt cops, without breaking the law." I am pointing out that such is just as reprehensible as LEOs using entrapment.

Gil223

I don't know about anybody else here, but when I operate my movie camera it is held in my dominant hand - my "strong-side" if you prefer. This is also the side upon which my pistol is carried. I will assume that this is the most common way of video recording - dominant hand. If I have a handful of camera, my sidearm may as well be in the trunk of my car as far as immediate accessibility goes.

I believe this guy did it right, with the singular exception of approaching the LEO during his stop. He was asked to keep his distance and he did. When the traffic stop was ended, he was walking away from both the scene and the officer, still filming that which was ahead of him (for whatever reason - it's just as legal to film as it is to OC). The LEO had no legitimate reason to make further contact with him at that point, other than to harass him. As long as the citizen was holding his movie camera, and keeping his hand away from his sidearm, there was no threat to the officer. (2¢) Pax...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I don't know about anybody else here, but when I operate my movie camera it is held in my dominant hand - my "strong-side" if you prefer. This is also the side upon which my pistol is carried. I will assume that this is the most common way of video recording - dominant hand. If I have a handful of camera, my sidearm may as well be in the trunk of my car as far as immediate accessibility goes.

I believe this guy did it right, with the singular exception of approaching the LEO during his stop. He was asked to keep his distance and he did. When the traffic stop was ended, he was walking away from both the scene and the officer, still filming that which was ahead of him (for whatever reason - it's just as legal to film as it is to OC). The LEO had no legitimate reason to make further contact with him at that point, other than to harass him. As long as the citizen was holding his movie camera, and keeping his hand away from his sidearm, there was no threat to the officer. (2¢) Pax...

This.

The officer had a reason to be concerned when an armed individual approached him for no initial apparent reason (in his mind). I also agree with you that if the subject wanted to record the officer's stop, he should have do so at a distance.

Personally, I prefer to leave them alone and expect the same in return. I'm quite sure they have more important things to do than to bother people like myself.

SouthernBoy

<o>

For the most part, I agree with you. But I do see valid exceptions to this rule. Without going into detail with a list of these and a continuing back and forth, I'll just leave it at that. I'm sure you can and do respect my position with this.

Last edited:

Gil223

This.

The officer had a reason to be concerned when an armed individual approached him for no initial apparent reason (in his mind). I also agree with you that if the subject wanted to record the officer's stop, he should have do so at a distance.
The individual LEO's "mind" is not where the laws are made - that's why we have legislatures. The subject was at a distance, but only after being so directed by the officer. His mistake was walking up on the LEO while at a traffic stop - being armed was secondary. Pax...

Ca Patriot

Filming public servants performing their official duties in a public place is NOT entrapping or "baiting" police. Its called citizen oversight of government. Its called free press.

Last night I filmed a DUI checkpoint and I "walked up into their scene".

The cops said hello and welcomed me to film anything I please and make sure to get their good side.

That's how America is supposed to be.

No one said I couldn't film. No one asked for ID. No one said they owned a public space.

Due to true patriots like me and the person in the video, America is becoming a more free and more transparent place. Police are slowly coming around and respecting citizens rights.

Everyone in America should thank people like me and people like the brave man in this video.

Gil223

Filming public servants performing their official duties in a public place is NOT entrapping or "baiting" police. Its called citizen oversight of government. Its called free press.

Last night I filmed a DUI checkpoint and I "walked up into their scene".

The cops said hello and welcomed me to film anything I please and make sure to get their good side.
Congratulations... did you forget to mention that you were unarmed and outnumbered by LEOs? They obviously had nothing to be concerned about.

That's how America is supposed to be.
Yep - no question about that!

No one said I couldn't film. No one asked for ID. No one said they owned a public space.
All as it should be.

Due to true patriots like me and the person in the video, America is becoming a more free and more transparent place. Police are slowly coming around and respecting citizens rights.

Everyone in America should thank people like me and people like the brave man in this video.
Thank you sooooo much! You have replaced Captain America as my personal hero.:rolleyes:
(I detected a bit of egocentricity in your post)

Sheldon

I ride Motorcycle, and I for one think anyone that has their cell plugged to their ear while driving distracted is a danger to me and they should be stopped. Hey you wanted an opinion...

As to the rest do felons go around advertising they are armed, in violation of the law? Probably not.....

Do honest law abiding citizens go around openly armed... Depends on the state law, and there it is a yes...

He walked up to a stop gun on the side and camera in hand, yeah if I was a cop I would be nervous about that too...

The cop called his super to act as a mediator, good move...

Trying to quote law when you do not know it... A Typical move.... Requesting the letter of, good idea helps to defuse the situation....

Yes they could have arrested him on any number of charges that would not hold up under any form of scrutiny, but the point it they do this all the time... Think not... Just refuse an order an officer gives you and see what happens next...

was this attempted intimidation by the officer, yep, did it work, sort of... he left didn't he...

Should he have interfered / intervened in his GF traffic stop, no bad idea.... It was his GF and he went macho.... again bad idea...

He should have simply pulled over a safe distance away, sat at the road side in his van and filmed from there...

again just opinions...

she was driving distracted, and if I were to go off on a rant of all the morons I have seen in just the last 7 days driving with their cell to their head, driving like they are the only person on the planet earth, like every one is suppose to get out of their way.... There ain't enough room for that here.....

Last edited:

zack991

Yes some people do deliberately go out to taunt police to get a bit of a rise so they can put their videos on youtube. But if this is done in parts of the country or parts of a state where the police are acting outside of the law and abusing the rights of citizens, I say good for them... get as many of those videos as you can to shine the light of truth on the dark side of "law enforcement".

The officers in this video clearly do not know the law in their state. And the really sad thing is that when confronted by someone who does, they are very reluctant to admit this and back off. To do so surrenders a measure of power and authority to their employers; We the People.

This 100%.