• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indian Reservation gun laws

dirtyrice

I will be arriving in seattle on the 31st. I had already asked questions pertaining to open carry in another thread and have read all the info I can here on this forum. The only question I didn't see the answer to and couldn't find on google was, the regulations regarding firearms on indian reservations. I mainly ask because I wanted to take 101 through olympic national park but I see this will mean I will end up driving through the quinalt indian reservation. Is it legal to just have them unloaded in the car while passing through or is that a no no also? Is open carry legal? I know gun laws can vary by state and individual reservation.

Also the hoh rain forest is just considered part of olympic national park not indian land right? Thanks.

MKEgal

dirtyrice said:
I wanted to take 101 through olympic national park but I see this will mean I will end up driving through the quinalt indian reservation. Is it legal to just have them unloaded in the car while passing through or is that a no no also?
My understanding, from reading many such discussions here, is that as long as you stay on the freeway (US property) you're fine following the laws of the state.
If you go onto tribal property you have to follow their rules... for which you need to contact them. Legally they're a different country.
I've heard that stopping for gas is not a big deal, but that might depend on where you are.

dirtyrice

Ok. I have no reason to stop on the res and will avoid doing so :)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've been led to believe (and it makes sense, but you should verify if it will directly affect you) that if you choose to enter the reservation, you are still not subject to Indian law unless you are of their tribe. But, they can also trespass you from the reservation. So, it's like their (tribe's) private property. They can't put you in their jail, but they can make you get back on the highway and leave, which they can probably do for any reason.

Their LEO's can probably enforce state laws, though.

Last edited:

deanf

If they give you any guff, just sing them a little song:

"Hi-how-are-ya, hi-how-are-ya?" set to a simple 4 note bass drum beat . . . it's sure to charm them ;)

hermannr

I will be arriving in seattle on the 31st. I had already asked questions pertaining to open carry in another thread and have read all the info I can here on this forum. The only question I didn't see the answer to and couldn't find on google was, the regulations regarding firearms on indian reservations. I mainly ask because I wanted to take 101 through olympic national park but I see this will mean I will end up driving through the quinalt indian reservation. Is it legal to just have them unloaded in the car while passing through or is that a no no also? Is open carry legal? I know gun laws can vary by state and individual reservation.

Also the hoh rain forest is just considered part of olympic national park not indian land right? Thanks.

There is a website that has the tribal laws. Unfortunately, the link is on my "presently unserviceable" computer. I think it has been posted on this forum in the past though...you could try search.

Simple explanation is: No-tribal members are not subject to tribal law. That said, in WA tribal police can enforce state law on non-tribal members. After they arrest you (assuming you did something that you could be arrested for) they will turn you over to the local police. My way of viewing (not a real legal way, just practical) I treat tribal property as private property. It is just the easiest way to do it.

I noticed you asked about Open Carry..did you mean on tribal land, or did you mean anywhere in WA? As WA does not recognize TX, you probably should plan on OC everywhere when you are here. There is an exemption for anyone that is "going to, returning from, or participating in, any outdoor recreational activity" RCW 9.41.060(8). I assume your comments on the Olympic NP etc, that you are going hiking while you are here? If so, you can OC or CC, as you should desire. Hiking (or even strolling on the beach) is an outdoor recreational activity. You are not going to encounter any problems anyway, but just for your peace of mind, look up RCW 9.41.060 and read it. RCW 9.41.270 and RCW 9.41.300 are also good to know. RCW 9.41.300 has what places are possibly restricted.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

dirtyrice

I was only asking about the reservations. I have done a bit of reading as stated above but couldn't find that info. I will be oc ing as WA does not honor my permit. And yes I will be doing lots of hiking and taking photos while there.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Many of us here have had no problems on Reservations or tribal property. I have carried on Lummi, Tulalip, Skagit, Nooksack. Just remember respect goes a long way.

jeeper1

I have been OC'ing on the Jamestown S'Klallam reservation for years and never had a problem.

hermannr

I was only asking about the reservations. I have done a bit of reading as stated above but couldn't find that info. I will be oc ing as WA does not honor my permit. And yes I will be doing lots of hiking and taking photos while there.

If you are here to go hiking etc...don't worry about unloading your OC when you are in your vehicle. RCW 9.41.060(8) has you covered.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
As usual I'm late to some of these threads but here is what I have for you....

I have contacted the Tribal Judge by US Mail to many of the Reservations on the peninsula. All of them follow state law on carry. The Police Chief at Neah Bay (Makah Tribe) did ask that if I was going to be open carrying that I stop by the station and let him make a copy of the CPL/Drivers license so if he got calls he could let them know it was ok without sending someone out.

As for driving thru, carry on and enjoy yourself.

I do recommend the trip to the Cape Flattery Trail. It's the most NW corner of the US and has a 1/2 mile trail/hike to get out to the view points. (https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/shorephotos/yr2006/Clallam/hi_res/060627_03200.jpg) You will need to buy a $10 permit (good for a year) to visit all the beaches and hiking areas. Hobuck beach is a great spot for camping and they have cabins for rent as well. http://www.hobuckbeachresort.com/

rapgood

I have contacted the Tribal Judge by US Mail to many of the Reservations on the peninsula. All of them follow state law on carry. The Police Chief at Neah Bay (Makah Tribe) did ask that if I was going to be open carrying that I stop by the station and let him make a copy of the CPL/Drivers license so if he got calls he could let them know it was ok without sending someone out.

I do recommend the trip to the Cape Flattery Trail. It's the most NW corner of the US and has a 1/2 mile trail/hike to get out to the view points. (https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/shorephotos/yr2006/Clallam/hi_res/060627_03200.jpg) You will need to buy a $10 permit (good for a year) to visit all the beaches and hiking areas. Hobuck beach is a great spot for camping and they have cabins for rent as well. http://www.hobuckbeachresort.com/

Bill,

I am continually impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge.

dirtyrice

Thanks for the info bill. Would he want to make a copy of my Texas cpl which isn't valid in WA?? That trail does look like it is worth the time to check out.

Last edited:

amlevin

Bill,

I am continually impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge.

Bill-

Hopefully that wasn't just lawyer speak for "you're full of it" :) ;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Bill is a great resource and works very hard had providing all of us with great information. Thus his title State Researcher...

Thanks Bill great to have you as a friend.