• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HIGHER STANDARDS for LEO

2OLD2W8

Food for thought....

Should all the certified and accredited law enforcement academies in this state operate under a system similar to the Sunshine Law of Florida that is used for our government officials? Should all of the training our future LEO receive be videotaped and available for the citizens of Florida to view? Or maybe just the classroom instruction on Florida law and U.S. civil rights law. I don't think that is too much to ask of our institutions.

I hope the institutions are instructing these future LEO students with the end goal to be lawful enforcement officers. But how do we really know? The cynical man in my head tends to believe the opposite. Should we be skeptical of the motives, intent and instruction that may be taking place in these institutions?

There seems to be an awful lot of LEO that think they are above the law! Is there a fox in the hen house? Do we really know what is going on in these classrooms? Should we bring the training out of the dark shadows?

Last edited:

2OLD2W8

Say goodbye to undercover LEOS if this occurs.

CCJ

Train the video camera on the instructor, my main concern is insuring the information being disseminated is correct and lawful. I,m not after the individual LEO, no need to identify the student. I want some oversight and control over the system and what is being taught.

This oversight will be another tool to help keep in check any possible abuse, to keep misinformation from being taught and used as a tactic to control us and violate our rights.

Video cameras are used against citizens daily in the pursuit of justice. We can use this tool to help bring some checks and balance back to the people.

shastadude17

Food for thought....

Should all the certified and accredited law enforcement academies in this state operate under a system similar to the Sunshine Law of Florida that is used for our government officials? Should all of the training our future LEO receive be videotaped and available for the citizens of Florida to view? Or maybe just the classroom instruction on Florida law and U.S. civil rights law. I don't think that is too much to ask of our institutions.

I hope the institutions are instructing these future LEO students with the end goal to be lawful enforcement officers. But how do we really know? The cynical man in my head tends to believe the opposite. Should we be skeptical of the motives, intent and instruction that may be taking place in these institutions?

There seems to be an awful lot of LEO that think they are above the law! Is there a fox in the hen house? Do we really know what is going on in these classrooms? Should we bring the training out of the dark shadows?

Read my signature. /thread

Fuller Malarkey

Say goodbye to undercover LEOS if this occurs.

CCJ

Just curious.....are people hired and trained as undercover officers, or is this something they become later in their career? What I'm wondering is, if the undercover officer has had ANY exposure, in uniform to the general public, would he not be already "made" by anyone with as much situational awareness as the average house plant?

The undercover cop thing is it's own can of worms, IMO. Not sure how many arrests are made as the result of undercover cops that couldn't have been made with uniformed police.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I could write volumes on this one... Logged in just to say how shocked I am that someone actually thinks FL LEOs aren't gods... They seem to think they are, and corruption in the Academies is the rule not the exception...

WalkingWolf

Most large entities should have a watchdog, companies have the people who do business with them. But gov officials do not answer to the public unfortunately. There was a time before 9/11 when the FBI was the watchdog of local and state police. Homeland security destroyed that with making the agencies linked to the federal government. We should, not just the gun community, all push for a citizen run watchdog organization which would have some powers to hold police and government accountable. That should be the ACLU, but their agenda is not really civil liberties, but pushing the progressive agenda. If the FBI could be pushed into doing it's job properly, police would be forced to act properly.

Civil judgements will never turn the tide, they punish the taxpayer. Jail time is what it takes to get Bubba to act with civility.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Food for thought....

I'm not so sure it would help.

First, I've already seen CALEA ignore extensive evidence of police abuse. I'm convinced the accreditation game is little more than a gimmick to reduce municipal insurance rates. CALEAs website used to advertise on this point, maybe still does. Get your cops accredited and you can "prove" you did not have an unwritten policy of rights violations like he committed. Even if your internal affairs unit comes up with facially absurd explanations for what didn't happen during the rights violation. CALEA is a business. Its not interested in revoking accreditation; your customer--the PD and municipality--aren't going to pay you for ongoing services if you are not providing ongoing services.

Also, even if the curriculum and the instructors are squeeky clean, the field training officer can take care of inculcating all the rights violation tricks like phrasing an ID demand as a request but still using an official, demanding tone of voice to cover for the fact there is no RAS. Or, running the serial number of all guns encountered during traffic stops just because. The tricks, cheesy tactics, and badgering to get a driver to consent to a search in the absence of probable cause. Etc, etc, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to bring the pressure, though. There may still be some benefit. If nothing else, a plaintiff's attorney can show the curriculum to prove the rights violator was trained in the proper approach.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That's not how it works and never has. CALEA provides best policies and accredits based on their implementation, not enforcement.

I'm sorry. I wasn't specific enough.

I have seen CALEA renew an PD's accreditation despite extensive evidence of that PD's recent rights violations, and failure to follow policies and procedures set out in the accreditation standards. CALEA can hardly claim its best practices and procedures were implemented. Especially if command did nothing to enforce the standards and procedures in question.